Tone Matches for Standand/Ultra

Really cool of you to put all of this work in. Thanks :)

I'm a bit of a newb with IR's and how this all works because I only recently started using a FRFR setup. Basically, you're using an Amp block that is set to get in the ball park of the matched tone's amp and just tweaking it a little to get the gain, feel, presence, etc, correct, but leaving the EQ mostly flat because the tone matching process is what changes the EQ curve to match the tone. Then you make a custom IR for each of these tone matches that goes in the cab block and that's the key to this whole thing - having the custom "tone match" IR to shape the sound. Am I correct in all of this so far??

The problem I had trying to audition these presets was that all of the patches were using my cab block called User 10. I guess this is because there are only 10 user IR slots (right?) and if all of mine are filled up, then it defaults to the last one, I guess. What do I need to do to get this to work? If I got rid of that IR slot (I wouldn't even know how to do that), would your IR fill that slot automatically? But if I liked a preset and saved it, it would fill that slot again and I'd need to delete another slot to keep auditioning the presets and save another one? And then I could only keep 10 of your Tone Match patches because there are only 10 User IR slots (and, of course, any patches that I currently have using one of my 10 current User IR slots would sound different because it would end up with the new IR that's in that slot as it's cab?). And ultimately, we can only keep 10 of your TM patches saved at a time because the Ultra only holds 10 User IR's? Or am I completely misunderstanding this all?

Sorry for being such a newb :) I appreciate anyone's help in explaining this to me.

Really cool of you to put all of this work in. Thanks :)

I'm a bit of a newb with IR's and how this all works because I only recently started using a FRFR setup. Basically, you're using an Amp block that is set to get in the ball park of the matched tone's amp and just tweaking it a little to get the gain, feel, presence, etc, correct, but leaving the EQ mostly flat because the tone matching process is what changes the EQ curve to match the tone. Then you make a custom IR for each of these tone matches that goes in the cab block and that's the key to this whole thing - having the custom "tone match" IR to shape the sound. Am I correct in all of this so far??

The problem I had trying to audition these presets was that all of the patches were using my cab block called User 10. I guess this is because there are only 10 user IR slots (right?) and if all of mine are filled up, then it defaults to the last one, I guess. What do I need to do to get this to work? If I got rid of that IR slot (I wouldn't even know how to do that), would your IR fill that slot automatically? But if I liked a preset and saved it, it would fill that slot again and I'd need to delete another slot to keep auditioning the presets and save another one? And then I could only keep 10 of your Tone Match patches because there are only 10 User IR slots (and, of course, any patches that I currently have using one of my 10 current User IR slots would sound different because it would end up with the new IR that's in that slot as it's cab?). And ultimately, we can only keep 10 of your TM patches saved at a time because the Ultra only holds 10 User IR's? Or am I completely misunderstanding this all?

Sorry for being such a newb :) I appreciate anyone's help in explaining this to me.

DraggAmps,
You are correct in your description of the process...those of us who still use the Standard/Ultra are limited to just 10 user slots. I use slot 10 when I create the matches, just because I'm a creature of habit. You can re-save to any slot you desire.

I have a bit of good news and bad news. The good news is that I should have another batch by the end of the week. The bad news is this will more than likely be my last batch.
I have ran into some financial issues, and need to sell of some things. I already have a buyer lined up for my Ultra for this coming weekend, so I'm trying to finish these last tone matches before I let it go.
I bought the Ultra in February 2009, and this has been the only gear, other than guitars, that I have consistently used every day this long of a period. I will truly miss it.

I have a bit of good news and bad news. The good news is that I should have another batch by the end of the week. The bad news is this will more than likely be my last batch.
I have ran into some financial issues, and need to sell of some things. I already have a buyer lined up for my Ultra for this coming weekend, so I'm trying to finish these last tone matches before I let it go.
I bought the Ultra in February 2009, and this has been the only gear, other than guitars, that I have consistently used every day this long of a period. I will truly miss it.

NOOOOO!!!!!

Thats terrible news,but thank you for your work mate.

songtan13,

First of all, MANY thanks for spending your time to do this for all of us Standard and Ultra owners! I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with financial troubles that will prohibit you from continuing on. Unfortunately, that seems to be happening all too often in today's day and times. Hopefully it all works out for you for the better.

That being said, you have previously mentioned that you helped streamline the workflow that Clark Kent had put together in his vid tutorials on youtube. Would you mind sharing what, in particular, you did to make things any easier/faster? I'd love to be able to do all this on my own, but my chops are not up to snuff to play the tones I want to cop note-for-note, unfortunately. I'd still like to understand the process though, so that once I do get my chops in shape, lack of knowledge on how to do this doesn't hinder me. Thanks again for all your help and best of luck!

Regards,
Jeff

Bad bad news, thanks for all your awesome work songtan, this is a sad day. All luck for you.

DraggAmps,
You are correct in your description of the process...those of us who still use the Standard/Ultra are limited to just 10 user slots. I use slot 10 when I create the matches, just because I'm a creature of habit. You can re-save to any slot you desire.

Thank you. So if I delete one of my user cab slots, will that slot automatically become the "intended" cab when I audition the tone matches? Is this how it always works, even (for example) if I were to use somebody's patch who had a cab that they had paid for (such as OH, Redwirez, etc)? I would end up with the purchased IR as a byproduct of downloading a patch that used it? Again, sorry for the basic questions. I'm very new to this whole area of the Axe, because I've always used it with a traditional cab with sims turned off.

Also, I'm sorry to hear you are having to sell your Ultra. If something changes in the next few weeks and you decide to buy another one, let me know and if I still have mine (upgrading to Axe II) I will give you a good deal on it (on top of an already very fair price) as a thanks for all the time you spent on the patches that I will have a great time auditioning. Best of luck to you.

Really sorry to hear about having to sell your Axe songtan, you've given all Ultra/Standard users some of the best tones we've ever come across! Thanks so much for your work and hopefully one day we can see you back on here again! Best of luck my friend!

I know there are single cab and dual cab versions of Songtan's tone matches, and that, for the most part, he just added new ones to existing batch. It seems there are some that aren't included in this manner.
Has anybody already made a folder containing EVERYTHING he's posted here?

That would be something to be archived and made accessible to all running Standards and Ultras before the forum changes again and they disappear.

I haven't had the chance to go through everything YET to make sure it's all there, but if you already have.. how bout posting it.

Thanks ,O

The older ones can be downloaded from post #216. I have just arrived to this huge thread, read it through and downloaded all the patches. I need to try them out!

It is really a pity that songtan13 had to sell his AxeFX. Maybe you have heard about Salvation Mods - it is a guy who does custom Randall MTS modules and he has some really great sound samples on youtube and soundclick that would be nice to match - salvationmods - YouTube and https://soundcloud.com/salvation-mods

Hey guys. The thing about matching is that it's always best if you can do it yourself because there are many factors that will change between us users. Different guitar: player, pick, strings, pickups, tonewood etc. all affect the EQ balance, brightness and amount of gain needed on an amp which can lead to many other issues.

That's the reason I started teaching how to match instead of just giving people my matched sounds because they simply won't sound as good on your guitars and setups as they do on mine.

The process is extremely easy once you get used to it so if you REALLY want a certain tone matched then get Ozone and do it yourself. :)

songtan13 has been generous with you guys which is something I didn't have the energy to do. I still get weekly tone requests from people on various different forums.. seriously it could be my daytime job if I did all of those requests. So let's honor songtan13 for his work and hope that all those in search for a certain tone take the 5min tutorial and learn how to do it themselves. :)

I have been promised to get some DI (dry guitar) tracks matching the Salvation Mods clips - that should make the process much easier and I can use the digital I/O for even greater accuracy. If I get some usable results, I will share here.

Last edited:
Problem with Axe FX Ultra

Hello guys!

My ame is Aleksandar and im coming from Croatia.. i bought myself Axe Fx Ultra just yesterday. im using my Axe Fx Ultra trough Laney CX studio monitor. I worked on him for hours and im just doing it wrong :( can someone just send me some really simple patches? for rhytam and lead? im not using axe fx software :/

Hey guys. The thing about matching is that it's always best if you can do it yourself because there are many factors that will change between us users. Different guitar: player, pick, strings, pickups, tonewood etc. all affect the EQ balance, brightness and amount of gain needed on an amp which can lead to many other issues.

That's the reason I started teaching how to match instead of just giving people my matched sounds because they simply won't sound as good on your guitars and setups as they do on mine.

The process is extremely easy once you get used to it so if you REALLY want a certain tone matched then get Ozone and do it yourself. :)

songtan13 has been generous with you guys which is something I didn't have the energy to do. I still get weekly tone requests from people on various different forums.. seriously it could be my daytime job if I did all of those requests. So let's honor songtan13 for his work and hope that all those in search for a certain tone take the 5min tutorial and learn how to do it themselves. :)
So is there a tutorial somewhere?;)

not working for me??

Hi,

I have tried putting these on my Ultra and although they show up on the display on the Axe, I get no sound, other then the wind one - that worked.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and it's driving me nuts!!!

Thanks for any help!

I have created about 60 tone matches from various sources. Each patch has two cabs in it, just load the corresponding IR into the second one.
Let me know what you guys think.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55573674/Axe-Fx%20Stand-Ultra%20Tone%20Matches.zip

Back
Top Bottom