Wish Global Blocks on FM3 Still Wishful Thinking?

marklumsley

So ever since the AFXIII got gapless switching, I was under the impression that the FM3 would never get this luxury.
BUT... now that it has become a reality, I now wonder if the possibility of working on global blocks for the FM3 is back on the table, maybe?
If not, could someone hopefully give me the inside scoop on why it can't be done (without getting too technical haha)?

So ever since the AFXIII got gapless switching, I was under the impression that the FM3 would never get this luxury.
BUT... now that it has become a reality, I now wonder if the possibility of working on global blocks for the FM3 is back on the table, maybe?
If not, could someone hopefully give me the inside scoop on why it can't be done (without getting too technical haha)?
CPU limitations it uses a lot
It’s not even available on the FM9 turbos

CPU limitations it uses a lot
It’s not even available on the FM9 turbos

Do you have proof of CPU usage using a lot? I see no reason why it would use any, or if it did very minimal. Now memory to store the global blocks is a different thing.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but...
im not saying ancient aliens GIF by Giffffr

ancient aliens yes GIF

Do you have proof of CPU usage using a lot? I see no reason why it would use any, or if it did very minimal. Now memory to store the global blocks is a different thing.
It could very well be the memory required
I don’t recall specifically but many have asked to question and received the not possible answer

Well that's a bummer. :/

Hopefully some sort of new workaround or discovery will come into effect.
I initially thought that gapless was impossible for the base FM3 model due to memory constraints, yet here we are!

Everybody wants Global Blocks for different things.

Why would they implement it only for the Volume block?

You can already setup global volume control at the beginning or end of the signal path...
I mean the output volume, am I able to do so?

I mean the output volume, am I able to do so?
If it's at the end of the signal path it'd be the output volume. See "Global Volume Setup" on p. 13 in the manual. An alternate is to use the controller to set the Output level of the Out block via a modifier. You could also do it on the Amp or Cab block's Output Level, or anywhere else after the Amp block.

I use a VolPan block before the amp, because I want it to act more like the guitar's volume knob, which will go from clean to distorted. Putting the same block after the Amp, or using the global volume, will control the output level without changing the amount of distortion. It's an artistic-expression thing which you use.

If it's at the end of the signal path it'd be the output volume. See "Global Volume Setup" on p. 13 in the manual. An alternate is to use the controller to set the Output level of the Out block via a modifier. You could also do it on the Amp or Cab block's Output Level, or anywhere else after the Amp block.

I use a VolPan block before the amp, because I want it to act more like the guitar's volume knob, which will go from clean to distorted. Putting the same block after the Amp, or using the global volume, will control the output level without changing the amount of distortion. It's an artistic-expression thing which you use.
Thank You So Much GIF

@Greg Ferguson , very curious about this method. I also want to have a controlled +3dB increase in output volume for solos. On the AxeFX3, I can just use a global Volume block. On the FM9 (another forum, I know, but here's where my search lead me) I can't do this globally. And I can't figure out how I would control a change in volume at Output 1 when my options seem to be either on or off 0-127 MIDI messages? Any help is appreciated.

@Greg Ferguson , very curious about this method. I also want to have a controlled +3dB increase in output volume for solos. On the AxeFX3, I can just use a global Volume block. On the FM9 (another forum, I know, but here's where my search lead me) I can't do this globally. And I can't figure out how I would control a change in volume at Output 1 when my options seem to be either on or off 0-127 MIDI messages? Any help is appreciated.
What I described isn't using MIDI, it's controlling a parameter, usually the Level control of a block, through a modifier using a foot-controller.

The manual shows how to create a pre or post "global" volume pedal, though it's not a "global block". See the link in my previous comment for the instructions.I prefer assigning to a block so I can place the volume pedal's effect wherever I want.

MIDI can control volume but that's a different issue, and I'm rusty with working with MIDI so others would have to comment about it.

Last edited:
What I described isn't using MIDI, it's controlling a parameter through a modifier, usually the Level control of a block, using a foot-controller.

The manual shows how to create a pre or post "global" volume pedal, though it's not a "global block". I prefer assigning to a block so I can place the volume pedal's effect wherever I want.
Hmmm...yes, but how can that be made "global" and under the control of one of the regular FC switches? You can pre-set the range from 0dB - +4dB in the modifier on the Output block, but that still is a per-preset setting. Am I missing something?

Hmmm...yes, but how can that be made "global" and under the control of one of the regular FC switches?
It can't, at least not that I'm aware of.

I used to assign a VolPan or Filter block, or other block's Level control to a modifier and trigger that with a control switch, usually CS1, and store it in the Library for reuse and stick it into all my presets, and then I'd assign an FC switch to toggle CS1.

Then I realized I didn't always need a solo boost so I switched to using per-preset overrides so I could put the boost in presets where I'd need it.

Then I realized it didn't make sense to do that either because I treat my amp blocks as if they're single channel amps and turn my guitar up to "solo" and down to get clean, and turning it up adds 4-6dB to the output, at least until the tube section begins distorting. So I took the override and block out of my presets and uncomplicated my life. :)

I've found that using my control pedal for volume on the input block works very well. I saved the patch in the library. Since every preset has an input block that usually does nothing, it's easy to retrofit any patch for my volume control. Not the same as global volume, but fairly easy to do, even for a bunch of presets.

For a solo boat I put a parametric EQ after the amp block and before any long time based stuff (reverbs and delays), with maybe a 3.5 db volume increase. If the patch wants it, it can also boost or cut any frequencies I want, not just change volume.

Back
Top Bottom