Wah question

Hey all, maybe this has been answered, but...

I have a Mission SP-1 expression pedal. For my wah blocks, I have it set to auto engage at MED speed and toe-down is Bypass.

I find that most of my "wah" is well toward the heel position and that most of the pedal's sweep doesn't change the effect much. Seems to be quite a narrow notch near the heel that has the most effect. Any comments on what settings to adjust so that I get more effect changes over a wider range. I'm not 100% that this is what is referred to as wah sweep? I would think so...

I guess what I want to do is move my foot more to greater effect rather than trying to find that seemingly narrow notch and finesse it minutely. Probably a simple setting adjustment

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks!!

Mission SP-1 should have a linear taper pot in it. Do you have the same taper issue with a volume block? If you watch the modifier screen while you move the pedal, the dot should move smoothly from one corner to the other with the pedal sweep. If you stop the pedal half way, the dot should also be roughly in the middle of the curve.

Even though it is not intuitive as it actually results in less tonal sweep, modifying and narrowing the 'Min' and 'Max' values on the modifier page may also help. That way you can sort of zoom in on the tonal range in the wah block that has the most desired effect on your tone. That can give you a sense that the sweep is more effective where you want it.

Even though it is not intuitive as it actually results in less tonal sweep, modifying and narrowing the 'Min' and 'Max' values on the modifier page may also help. That way you can sort of zoom in on the tonal range in the wah block that has the most desired effect on your tone. That can give you a sense that the sweep is more effective where you want it.
Also adjusting the Min and Max frequencies of the Wah block can make a big difference.

I have a Mission SP-1 expression pedal. For my wah blocks, I have it set to auto engage at MED speed and toe-down is Bypass.

I find that most of my "wah" is well toward the heel position and that most of the pedal's sweep doesn't change the effect much. Seems to be quite a narrow notch near the heel that has the most effect. Any comments on what settings to adjust so that I get more effect changes over a wider range. I'm not 100% that this is what is referred to as wah sweep? I would think so...

I guess what I want to do is move my foot more to greater effect rather than trying to find that seemingly narrow notch and finesse it minutely. Probably a simple setting adjustment

Thanks!!
are you using a TRS cable?

I will play around with some of the parameters and see if I can get what I want. I just thought this would ring familiar with someone. Maybe I'm just a weirdo in that most users want a narrow range of actual wah so hat the foot doesn't need to work too much?

Thanks!!
I use both the fractal EV expression pedal (the bigger one) and a mission SP-1. The fractal EV works sooooo much better for Wah if you were to compare the sweep on both using the same exact settings. Grab one if ya can

When you calibrate, do you see a full range of movement on the display for the dot? Does it go all the way to either end as you sweep the pedal? Does the dot's movement track the pedal sweep so toe up is dot all the way to left, toe down is all the way to the right and middle parked position is dot in the middle?
Ok, so...

When I calibrate, the on-screen "cursor" does not go quite to end on top or bottom. I have a cheap Roland EV-5 that I use for volume, it does the same except if goes all the way to the top but not the bottom. The cursor, that is.

Here's the deal. There sure seems to be more activity closer to the heel position on the SP-1. In other words, the sweep is not linear. The EV-5, on the other hand, IS pretty linear.

After testing, swapping pedal inputs, etc it seems that the pot on the SP-1 is either pooched or designed that way, I'm thinking the former. I bought it used and have been living with this since (about a year). It's not like it doesn't work, it is just annoying. When I engage a wah block with the EV-5 it feels good, as in, like it should.

The question is, can it be easily fixed by a local tech I wonder? I suppose I should contact Mission... Or do I look for a new expression pedal.

Hmmm??

Check the movement of the cursor on the Modifier graph instead of the calibration meter. It's easier to see the movement there. Does the dot go to the top right and stay there before the pedal is all the way toe down? If so, the pot might just be mis-aligned to the rack gear and might need to be adjusted. If the pot gets loose it can also shift a little and throw the alignment off as well.

Ok, so...

When I calibrate, the on-screen "cursor" does not go quite to end on top or bottom. I have a cheap Roland EV-5 that I use for volume, it does the same except if goes all the way to the top but not the bottom. The cursor, that is.

Here's the deal. There sure seems to be more activity closer to the heel position on the SP-1. In other words, the sweep is not linear. The EV-5, on the other hand, IS pretty linear.

After testing, swapping pedal inputs, etc it seems that the pot on the SP-1 is either pooched or designed that way, I'm thinking the former. I bought it used and have been living with this since (about a year). It's not like it doesn't work, it is just annoying. When I engage a wah block with the EV-5 it feels good, as in, like it should.

The question is, can it be easily fixed by a local tech I wonder? I suppose I should contact Mission... Or do I look for a new expression pedal.

Hmmm??
https://a.co/d/1IivwY4

If you are mechanically inclined and can solder 3 wires you can do it yourself.

Check the movement of the cursor on the Modifier graph instead of the calibration meter. It's easier to see the movement there. Does the dot go to the top right and stay there before the pedal is all the way toe down? If so, the pot might just be mis-aligned to the rack gear and might need to be adjusted. If the pot gets loose it can also shift a little and throw the alignment off as well.
I will check this today. I did email Mission, see what they have to say next week I guess. I will Google how to adjust that pot to rack gear alignment. I can pretty much guarantee that when I follow the dot on the modifier it will read as less-than-linear, I sorta did already...

If you had any know-how on that adjustment I'd be grateful.

Thanks!!

Out of stock. Maybe Mission will send me one, I emailed them about the issue.

Thanks!!
They might...

You can search online for "Dunlop linear 10k". They are sold many places. I bought one from Amplified Parts many years ago to convert an old wah pedal into an expression pedal.

Back
Top Bottom