FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopeing I missed something somewhere.. I did all of "Gapless Preset/Scene/Channel Switching : A new parameter in SETUP > Global Settings > Gapless Channel/Scene/Preset has three settings; Off, Channel & Scene, and All. For preset changes to use the gapless switching the preset must be saved under the currently running firmware version." followed by "To do so, perform a “store” operation on the preset from the FM9 panel using the “STORE” key. Alternatively, use the Save Preset (ctrl + s) function from the FM9-Edit Preset Menu" But i still hear the gaps when switching from preset to preset.. running beta 6.0 and edit 1.02.07..

Hopeing I missed something somewhere.. I did all of "Gapless Preset/Scene/Channel Switching : A new parameter in SETUP > Global Settings > Gapless Channel/Scene/Preset has three settings; Off, Channel & Scene, and All. For preset changes to use the gapless switching the preset must be saved under the currently running firmware version." followed by "To do so, perform a “store” operation on the preset from the FM9 panel using the “STORE” key. Alternatively, use the Save Preset (ctrl + s) function from the FM9-Edit Preset Menu" But i still hear the gaps when switching from preset to preset.. running beta 6.0 and edit 1.02.07..
In addition, the Global Spillover option must be set to "All". When the gapless setting is "All" presets will use the gapless switching when these conditions are met.

Initial impressions include the fact that I have to mess around with the low end much less than before. Not sure if it's real, but in the past I've had to use various kinds of acrobatics, at times, to tame the low end on many amps, but now it seems more clear right from the get go.

I suspect a large part of the is the new default for the "Speaker Thump" parameter. I've been backing that value down from the old default value of "2.5" on my existing FM9 presets as of late and indeed the low end becomes less cloudy and more focused, as well as not blanketing the mids/highs as much either. I didn't have a problem with it at "2.5" but I'm finding backing it off to ~1.8-ish is better.

Backing down the "Speaker Drive" from the old default of "2.00" to "1.00" also goes a long way to clarify the mids/highs too. I'm setting this to ~1.4 after rehearsing with "Speaker Drive/Thump" with the new default values. I'm anticipating tweaking those further after I get v6.xx installed since there are new modeling improvements and interactions.

Add to all of that:
-Improved Amp block triode algorithm
-Improved speaker compression and amp interaction modeling

...and we have a new recipe for tonal, and feel, goodness....ya man.

In addition, the Global Spillover option must be set to "All". When the gapless setting is "All" presets will use the gapless switching when these conditions are met.
I did this, still getting gaps between presets. Hopefully I’m doing something wrong too. I wasn’t going to say anything and go double check everything but seeing as how I’m not the only one I figured I’d chime in.

I plan to install v6.xx, configure the new "Spring Reverb", and play the intro melody/lead for "White Rabbit" until however long it takes me to escape that particular rabbit-hole...heh.

I did this, still getting gaps between presets. Hopefully I’m doing something wrong too. I wasn’t going to say anything and go double check everything but seeing as how I’m not the only one I figured I’d chime in.

I guessing you have to have “stored” the preset you are moving to as well.
Yes.

BOTH presets need to be saved with the new firmware.

If you've saved both, have all the global settings set properly, and still feel like there's a gap please attach both presets to a post for investigation.

Fractal killin' it every day!!
Thanks to all who worked hard to make this happen. I've been really loving the AXE III updates and now the FM9 fly rig will be golden as well.
Much appreciated...

Fractal Audio Systems:
MIC DROP-->BOOM!!
minions GIF

Just downloaded the new FM Edit and it seems to be working now. 😎😎😎😎

Huh? is this available somewhere?

It's a control in the editor.

Put your mouse on a parameter you want to change across a preset (all channels in that block) and set it. Maybe you want to lower the default Speaker Comp from 1.25 to 1 for example.

So, enter 1.0 as value. Then use these keys (on a Mac anyway, maybe CTRL on Windows):

CMD+SHFT+Right mouse click

This will pop up:

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 5.37.29 PM.png

Choose the action to want to do -- change it in just one channel? or all channels?

It then opens up your unit preset list - and you pick the range of presets in your unit you want to perform the above chosen action on. It can be on preset or all of them, or a subset.

Then click Save. That's it. It will change all those things and save the preset for you.

Super handy. I"m sure someone posted a clearer thread on how this works somewhere.

I'm using it by picking a value I DON'T change, in one channel, then selecting all the presets, so they are saved and I've complied with the Gapless switching instructions to save each preset I want to apply that too, as stated from Fractal in this threads first post/ OP.

Last edited:
It's a control in the editor.

Put your mouse on a parameter you want to change across a preset (all channels in that block) and set it. Maybe you want to lower the default Speaker Comp from 1.25 to 1 for example.

So, enter 1.0 as value. Then use these keys (on a Mac anyway, maybe CTRL on Windows):

CMD+SHFT+Right mouse click

This will pop up:

View attachment 133721

Choose the action to want to do -- change it in just one channel? or all channels?

It then opens up your unit preset list - and you pick the range of presets in your unit you want to perform the above chosen action on. It can be on preset or all of them, or a subset.

Then click Save. Thats' it. It will change all those things and save the preset for you.

Super handy. I"m sure someone posted a clearer thread on hwo this works somewhere.

I'm using it by picking a value I DON'T change, in one channel, then selecting all the presets, so they are saved and I've complied with the Gapless switching instructions to save each preset I want to apply that too, as stated from Fractal in this threads first post/ OP.
Thanks for that, man!

Ahhhh, good idea...that'll definitely save some time and effort....

Just fantastic! It this type of thing that makes me really happy with Fractal even more. They are really standing by their products, and customers. Thank you.

<<Gapless Preset/Scene/Channel Switching : A new parameter in SETUP > Global Settings > Gapless Channel/Scene/Preset has three settings; Off, Channel & Scene, and All. For preset changes to use the gapless switching the preset must be saved under the currently running firmware version. To do so, perform a “store” operation on the preset from the FM9 panel using the “STORE” key. Alternatively, use the Save Preset (ctrl + s) function from the FM9-Edit Preset Menu. This is required even if there are no changes made otherwise to the preset. >>

Hi @m_brown rown

Okay. I did this in hardware. I do see latest FM9-editor Setup has a place for Gapless now but it's blank for now, probably something coming.

I picked Chnl/scene Gapless (not All).

My question is, to be clear, do I need to individually save all 512 presets one by one for the new Gapless to take effect in each preset, or do i simply save one preset?

I know I can use the Batch parameter change utility to effectively do this (not changing a parameter, but it will still save each preset I select)...Just wanted to make sure doing ti correctly!
You need to change the presets you're changing to (and maybe from) as far as I know.

Yes.

BOTH presets need to be saved with the new firmware.

If you've saved both, have all the global settings set properly, and still feel like there's a gap please attach both presets to a post for investigation.
I thought I was completely gapless but I don’t think I’m completely yet. Let me make sure I have my sh!t together before I say anything else. When I’m sure I’ll post my presets. I don’t want to derail the thread unless I’m 100% certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom