AXE 3 as a plugin - best thing for the environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why a plugin would be better for the environment.

I prefer the power and reliability of the FAS hardware.

I'm assuming the argument would be less materials use. May or may not be accurate.

Personally, I like the hardware aspect of the Fractal. The only thing I really miss about my tube amp days is not needing a screen or computer to adjust everything. I feel like a plug-in would lose the last bit of tactile interaction I have with my gear.

It has already been stated that this will never happen due to the risk of piracy and the destruction of all that is sacred and holy.
However, I pondered a Fractal VST idea where the vst was only a dedicated listener process sitting inside the daw, where all the brains were still required in the hardware and all manipulation and control could only be done from the hardware. If the communication between the listener and the hardware was encrypted and proprietary, it could be possible. No one would benefit from having just the vst as you would need the unit as both the audio engine, code and the controller. The hardware would just be sending the sound to the vst. Ah, just me thinking out loud.

I read somewhere where it’d be easier to reverse engineer their algorithm (so competition will take advantage of that) if they made a plugin version so they wouldn’t do it

only FAS knows

It has already been stated that this will never happen due to the risk of piracy and the destruction of all that is sacred and holy.
However, I pondered a Fractal VST idea where the vst was only a dedicated listener process sitting inside the daw, where all the brains were still required in the hardware and all manipulation and control could only be done from the hardware. If the communication between the listener and the hardware was encrypted and proprietary, it could be possible. No one would benefit from having just the vst as you would need the unit as both the audio engine, code and the controller, Ah, just me thinking out loud.
ohh please with a hardware lock the intellectual property would be safe

A software defined axe fx would remove the hardware limitations and innovation would be independent of the hardware - its a win win, not to mention lowering the carbon footprint...

However, I pondered a Fractal VST idea where the vst was only a dedicated listener process sitting inside the daw, where all the brains were still required in the hardware and all manipulation and control could only be done from the hardware. If the communication between the listener and the hardware was encrypted and proprietary, it could be possible. No one would benefit from having just the vst as you would need the unit as both the audio engine, code and the controller. The hardware would just be sending the sound to the vst. Ah, just me thinking out loud.

It's a difficult calculus, but people are starting to view an Apollo as just an overpriced dongle, so UA is slowly abandoning that design. If they can't make it work, I doubt anybody else can.

That made me spit my coffee out. This is 2023, almost 2024, there are people...
I could throw a stone and hit one of the top tier piracy icons from here.
Hardware can be interrupted and software is a joke. Ignored.
I hope you didn’t coffee on your axe fx hardware. You really need to educate yourself on the hackability of a hardware platform vs a software plaftform.

Can you imagine the software roadmap. Ai integration, save your roadies backs using a laptop vs. an antiquated rack

I hope you didn’t coffee on your axe fx hardware. You really need to educate yourself on the hackability of a hardware platform vs a software plaftform.
As stated above, Fractal has said it won’t happen. They’re extremely smart developers and are well aware of how the technology works and its limitations.

If you feel they’re missing some important information that would revolutionize their products, then the best solution is to write a detailed description of how to accomplish it and send it directly to them, avoiding the snooping eyes of their competition on a forum.

I mean jeez. The revenue source is the hardware only. With a software model you could have multiple tier subscription model. Make all that amazing firmware dev a monetization play. A fractal sdk for third party software developers to integrate onto the platform. A SaaS model for for mastering like slate. It’s endless the money that could be made. The market is consolidating either lead or chase.

I'm assuming the argument would be less materials use. May or may not be accurate.

Personally, I like the hardware aspect of the Fractal. The only thing I really miss about my tube amp days is not needing a screen or computer to adjust everything. I feel like a plug-in would lose the last bit of tactile interaction I have with my gear.
I do most of my editing on the front panel, it's fine. There are some things where computer is better or even required, but not for the vast majority of edits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom