How about a fractal light ?

Jamme1961

Inspired
Maybe call it FM1 no tube bias thingy stuff less parameters on everything- cut out all the fat make it simple to use and make it tiny - yes no?

Maybe call it FM1 no tube bias thingy stuff less parameters on everything- cut out all the fat make it simple to use and make it tiny - yes no?
I have always thought a small box like amplifire but with only 10 FAS models basic rev/ delay would be killer
FAS Class A, Wrecker , FAS Express , Buttery
Hot rod , Brown, Modern
FAS crunch , FAS lead
FAS clean

How about a customized FM3 here you can either order one with just effects or just the standard FM3 with everything as it is now. You can maybe also purshase a Firmware download where you can change the standard FM3 to an effects only unit.

I only use a fraction of what my FM3 is capable of so a scaled down Fractal hardware unit with subscription based download would work for me.
Course it would have to be much cheaper than what we have now and that's probably not a good business plan for FAS.

At some point, it ceases to be an advantage. Although a “one button, download what you want into it” pedal might be useful to some, I don’t see where it would be better than just using the real thing. I understand the “but, Rick, you can change it” point, though I’m of the opinion that it wouldn’t get a very good return on the investment it would take to make it marketable. Again, just one man’s opinion.

They are in a pretty sweet spot with what they have… FM3 for the minimalist, FM9 for the traveling gigster needing more switch options, and the world-is-your-oyster Axe Fx III. Spreading themselves thinner, especially in the bargain-box direction, wouldn’t be my vote.

I don't see how the unit can be shrunk down below an FM3 and still be effective as a modeler that'd fit into the product line.

"The entire product line was conceived years ago. The goal was to maximize the number of parts shared between products. The footswitch PC boards do three switches each. An FM3 has one board. An FC6 has two. An FM9 has three and an FC12 has four. All products use the same LCDs, encoders, side plates, etc., etc. This reduces cost and repair inventory. The FC6 and the FM3 are basically the same enclosure. The FC12 and FM9 are basically the same enclosure. This isn't a huge market. Margins are thin so you have to think of ways to minimize development and product costs. Parts bin methodology is the route we took on this generation." [1]

The FM3 by itself is a nice trade-off of size, power, capabilities and portability, and it's expandable if we need more switches and it fits into their design goals by reusing components.

Sticking with that methodology, the unit you propose would still have three switches and the same display in the same size chassis and most likely the same processor, the only thing it wouldn't have would be a firmware that contained the same depth when wanting to adjust things. But that's already in effect because, for example, we have the "Tone" screen for Amps, which has the same controls as the original amps, or the "Cab" screen for Cab blocks and IRs. Several years ago Fractal created the "simple" interfaces as the first one for each block type to help people move up the learning curve, recognizing that not everyone wants to see all the features all the time.

The manual for each of the units has this statement in the FAQ section:

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 11.53.09 AM.png

Fractal isn't about dumbing down the interface or reducing the unit's abilities to the point that it's unable to be recognized as being a Fractal unit, they design professional gear made to be used in professional situations. Sure, we have a learning curve, but I'd much rather have that and grow to use its capabilities, than have something that can't do what I want a year after purchasing it.

Other companies target a different type of user and that's fine. Fractal doesn't seem to be interested in that same demographic and that's fine too.

I only use a fraction of what my FM3 is capable of so a scaled down Fractal hardware unit with subscription based download would work for me.
Course it would have to be much cheaper than what we have now and that's probably not a good business plan for FAS.
Please, no subscription-based anything. I don’t want to have to keep feeding the meter in order to keep playing my guitar.

I would love to see a modular Fractal pedal that could function either on it's own or as an additional piece to add more fx blocks to existing Fractal devices (eg for those who want more Pitch blocks etc). No Amp or Cab blocks, just all the Fractal effects.

It would be awesome if you could customise your own fx block allocation (eg no Reverbs and several Pitch blocks or Synth blocks) and if the signal path could be attached digitally to an existing device to avoid any additional A/D/A conversion.

13 pin hex pickup support would also be killer.

Please don't mention the word subscription-Please!
I have always thought a small box like amplifire but with only 10 FAS models basic rev/ delay would be killer
FAS Class A, Wrecker , FAS Express , Buttery
Hot rod , Brown, Modern
FAS crunch , FAS lead
FAS clean
Yes for some but not for all. But I do have to wonder "how Many", because that would be what fractal is asking themselves. I understand wanting something small enough for a pedal board since many here seem to use other FX pedals and things with their fractal. Understandable. My pedal boards are my FM3 turbo and My FM9...........

Back
Top Bottom