8 ways to use the Ring Mod

Lovely... I use Ring Modulator a lot but you've given me more things to try.

It's great for bringing out the weird and/or funky :)

An early inspiration was an incredible trumpet player/composer/band leader named Don Ellis … probably best known for his score to The French Connection. He died far too young.

One of his many extraordinary ideas was running his trumpet through a tuned ring modulator (custom built by Tom Oberheim!) to generate harmonic sidebands. Check out his fantastic album Tears of Joy.

the title tune from Tears of Joy

Last edited:
An early inspiration was an incredible trumpet player/composer/band leader named Don Ellis … probably best known for his score to The French Connection. He died far too young.

One of his many extraordinary ideas was running his trumpet through a tuned ring modulator (custom built by Tom Oberheim!) to generate harmonic sidebands. Check out his fantastic album Tears of Joy.

Saw Don Ellis at Memphis State University where father was teaching math at the time.

👍❤️🙏

Very cool.
Much more musical than most ringmod adventures.
Bravo!

You haven't by any chance posted the preset(s), have you?
Didn't see em on AxeChange.

I used to enjoy the ring mod back when the tracking wasn't so good and by playing sloppily you could get it to suddenly jump up an octave or to another note altogether. Great chaotic fun.

Back
Top Bottom