Fractal Audio AMP Models: Revv (based on Revv Generator 120)

Low gain?!?!

mike meyers who throws a shoe GIF

They are having hard time figuring it all out, as that channel would be better, if the amp could use chewier, saggier, softer power amp.
He said he don’t want to make any compromises and wants to have all channel 100% to his taste, so that’s the reason it takes so long.
There's ways to do that....

Did a little REVV research tonight with the violet Custom 24. Tried all three of the Purple and Red channels through the '65 Bassguy 2x12". Liked Purple 2 the best of the Purples, and Red 1 of the Reds. Whipped up a preset each with them. With the gain dialed back to 0.7, it gives a nice, ballsy sound that works well for classic rock. Harder rock at 1.7, and insane sustain at 3.7. I'd've used the hell out of one of them in the '90s....

https://v-z-a.com/sites/default/files/midi-backup-file-2023-06/B'ManRevvP2 - 4S.syx

https://v-z-a.com/sites/default/files/midi-backup-file-2023-06/B'ManRevvR1 - 4S.syx
DId a bit more REVV research on the new Green channels.

If you rein 'em in hard enough, they actually can do clean, but they seem to want to do edge-of-breakup and bluesy yowl a bit more, even with the gain below 5. Gain at 2.7 on my Strat and it's mostly clean. Good tone controls. Seems very high-headroom once you get completely clean. None of what I've heard called "the Fender bounce" to it at all. Good for some things, a bit 'tight' feeling for others. Reminds me a fair bit of the feel of the clean channel in my old MkII-C Boogie, actually. Checked the Power Supply tab, and the B+ barely moves. Must be a STIFF power supply in these! Gain at around 4 does some pretty good blues yowl, tho, and could fit in well as the lead sound for a fair chunk of old school rock & roll....

I'd been wanting to start using a more modern amp tone and Revv was another one of those amps I ignored because my impression was 'metal'. Watched a Shawn Tubbs video, tried the Green and liked it a lot.

I really like how easy it was to dial in tones. Noon on all the knobs was a good starting point. It seems like on some amps, I need to discover that Bass on 2 or Treble on 0 is a good starting point and it takes me forever to dial something in.

I ended up with a decent preset using the Green, Purple & Red in under and hour (which is good for me.). Using a Dyna-cab couldn't of hurt either.

I'd been wanting to start using a more modern amp tone and Revv was another one of those amps I ignored because my impression was 'metal'. Watched a Shawn Tubbs video, tried the Green and liked it a lot.

I really like how easy it was to dial in tones. Noon on all the knobs was a good starting point. It seems like on some amps, I need to discover that Bass on 2 or Treble on 0 is a good starting point and it takes me forever to dial something in.

I ended up with a decent preset using the Green, Purple & Red in under and hour (which is good for me.). Using a Dyna-cab couldn't have hurt either.
Shawn Tubbs does amazing demos for them , I agree there’s so much metal but Tubbs really shows the range of controls and what the amp can do

It seems like on some amps, I need to discover that Bass on 2 or Treble on 0 is a good starting point and it takes me forever to dial something in.

With my superstrat (which is very bright), I find that many amps sound good with BMT between 2 and 3 (as labeled on the dial, not 'o clock), and I use Presence and Depth to fine tune from there. I think it's always a matter of learning the relationship between your guitar and a particular amp, that it's all about the context of your input signal, and it's always worth it to explore the range of all the knobs until you know what your guitar really wants.

Is it anyone's else experience that Revvs take distortion pedals differently from other amps?
I have a few pedals like RC Booster and Horizon Precision set up the way I need it and use them with all amps to great success. The sound is... predictable, so to speak. I know what I'll get if I hit the pedal with Marshall, Dumble or Vox.
But not with Revv. I had to change the setting on ALL my pedals for them to sound decent, and I'm still not happy. Feels differently, and the sound sometimes, well, phasey (Precision especially - I cannot use it with Revv at all, no matter settings, default or not).

Am I glitching in my head or what?... It's like this amp doesn't want me to stick pedals in it :)

Last edited:
Is it anyone's else experience that Revvs take distortion pedals differently from other amps?
I have a few pedals like RC Booster and Horizon Precision set up the way I need it and use them with all amps to great success. The sound is... predictable, so to so. I know what I'll get if I hit the pedal with Marshall, Dumble or Vox.
But not with Revv. I had to change the setting on ALL my pedals for them to sound decent, and I'm still not happy. Feels differently, and the sound sometimes, well, phasey (Precision especially - I cannot use it with Revv at all, no matter settings, default or not).

Am I glitching in my head or what?... It's like this amp doesn't want me to stick pedals in it :)
real revv amp is very picky about pedals and IME, it is one of the worst if not THE worst, when it comes to handling the boost/od pedals. Something about their preamp or gain structure is very different to majority of other amps. Soundwise it is really tight amp, but it feels a bit loose to play, or vice versa.. if that makes any sense.
here’s a video, where this guy says basically the same thing as are my experiences with this amp, regarding that OD/boosting thing.

Last edited:
I have a few pedals like RC Booster and Horizon Precision set up the way I need it and use them with all amps to great success. The sound is... predictable, so to so. I know what I'll get if I hit the pedal with Marshall, Dumble or Vox.

For me, the Revv already has a nice thick complex distortion, tons of gain if needed….and so open sounding….still using Purple, haven’t had time to mess with reds yet…reminded me of feeling I got when Cygnus came out and played 59 Bassman with fuzz, but so much more refined….

Last edited:
real revv amp is very picky about pedals and IME, it is one of the worst if not THE worst, when it comes to handling the boost/od pedals.
Damn it. I also have compressors set the way I need, and it works with every other amp, like Pedal comp right after the input just to get a little ~1.5 of compression. I stick them in 5153, I know exactly what I'm going to get. With this amp all I get is a hiss and so much noise from the strings that it makes it impossible to play a clean legato line.

I like the way Revv feels and sounds on its own, and but I like to use pedals like Horizon stuff to get an attack I need, and I just can't get it working right with Revv. Let's put it this way: to get it working the way I'm used to/need.

This said, I love the amp (Green channel is like a dream come true) and looks like it's the only amp I'm going to use going forward. But I just can't get used to the thought that I can't use my favorite pedals. Like what, I need exactly the same patch with 5153 to use octave fuzz?... It just doesn't sound right with Revv, those harsh frequencies and unpleasant sound...

Any tips and tricks?

real revv amp is very picky about pedals and IME, it is one of the worst if not THE worst, when it comes to handling the boost/od pedals. Something about their preamp or gain structure is very different to majority of other amps. Soundwise it is really tight amp, but it feels a bit loose to play, or vice versa.. if that makes any sense.
here’s a video, where this guy says basically the same thing as are my experiences with this amp, regarding that OD/boosting thing.

I have not had this issue with the amp not handling boost/ODs well. I used the TS9 in front of it just fine, and now I use the Revv tilt boost and it works great.

I agree that Revvs don't seem to need Od-Ds, but, for shits and giggles I set Revv green to 0.5 input trim, 1.0 gain, and 6.0 MV (Bright On) to get a nice sparkly clean - what surprised
me most though was how good Od-Ds drives sound into that amp setting.

I’m loving the amp, and agree for me it’s a great modern hotrodded Marshall, kind of what the Friedman amps are meant to be.

But for my taste, better/more intuitive eq. I struggle with Friedmans to be honest

Green will do a lovely near clean with the gain at 5 and my guitar volume knocked back quite a bit.

I’m loving the amp, and agree for me it’s a great modern hotrodded Marshall, kind of what the Friedman amps are meant to be.

But for my taste, better/more intuitive eq. I struggle with Friedmans to be honest

Green will do a lovely near clean with the gain at 5 and my guitar volume knocked back quite a bit.
I love the Friedmans, control the bass and it’s awesome….IMHO

Back
Top Bottom