Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen and experienced, the DynaCabs are quieter not louder...
I didn't say they're louder. I'm talking about perceived volume due to more high end, which is likely going to be something a person experiences after direct volume matching/leveling.

Does anyone have tried them in live context yet?

Because getting a tone with beef, body, presence and not overwhelming or too thin is really the hardest part with irs

Because getting a tone with beef, body, presence and not overwhelming or too thin is really the hardest part with irs
I used them this morning and they were really good but not great. Got feedback from the audio engineer, he said my tone sounded more open, filled the space in the mix better, but was a bit on the darker side compared to previous tones. Said they sounded really good overall though, I'll be making some adjustments in the low mids (slight cut) and highs (slight bump) based upon his feedback.

I used them this morning and they were really good but not great. Got feedback from the audio engineer, he said my tone sounded more open, filled the space in the mix better, but was a bit on the darker side compared to previous tones. Said they sounded really good overall though, I'll be making some adjustments in the low mids (slight cut) and highs (slight bump) based upon his feedback.
Maybe it sat in the mix and opened up because it was a bit darker though?

Imo if it fit the mix better, dont adjust stuff just yet.

Maybe it sat in the mix and opened up because it was a bit darker though?

Imo if it fit the mix better, dont adjust stuff just yet.
I appreciate the thought but I trust this engineer and will follow his recommendations re the mids and highs. His comment about the mix was that the guitar seemed to fill more space but it was a bit buried in the mix compared to previous tones. He made some EQ adjustments today but knows that tweaks on the Axe III will probably sound better. I'm not going to make simple EQ tweaks, there are a few parameters I'll adjust within the Amp block that will provide the changes we need.

It was cool that he confirmed what I originally heard; the Dyna Cabs sounded 'airy', more open, and not as focused or direct as the Legacy IRs.

This is my experience. I had to put low cuts in to stop stepping all over the bass player last night. Sounds killer with more than enough beef for me.

I wonder if the new IR alignment algorithm can be applied to legacy cabs user slots?

Last edited:
I don't experience that.

Most people would hear "perceived volume increase" as "louder", hence why I wrote that.
It's cool that you think you don't experience that. You're a rarity if that's the case. The whole thing about perceiving a thing in a certain way is that that perception makes it so the person doesn't realize their perception isn't objective.

It's cool that you think you don't experience that. You're a rarity if that's the case. The whole thing about perceiving a thing in a certain way is that that perception makes it so the person doesn't realize their perception isn't objective.
I meant that I don't perceive the DynaCabs as having a higher volume.

I had to add about 1dB to be equivalent to my legacy cabs.

I've seen several others post similar comments.

I had to add about 1dB to be equivalent to my legacy cabs.
That's been my experience as well, but it might depend on specific cab and mic location. I also think there might be more high-end energy (generally) which could change how they sit in a mix.

the Dyna Cabs sounded 'airy', more open, and not as focused or direct as the Legacy IRs.
Some have indicated that Dyna-Cabs sound more direct and open and the Legacy's less focused and more diffuse ("blanket").

Subjective experience (and language to try to describe it) is interesting...

This is good stuff. Finding the right IR was always the hard part, now I have the sound I want in a minute. Switching back and forth between the legacy mode is, pun intended, clear, the dynacabs really jump out. I was considering brighter pickups for my Squier 40th Ann. Jazzmaster, but I don’t feel the need anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom