Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be in favor of gutting all the legacy cabs to make room for more dyna cab mics, if it allowed more choices to be included. These dyna cabs sound great, and I am already missing the ability to try certain mic combos. For example, I prefer the sound of a 160 ribbon over the 121, and I sometimes like to pair a 57 with a 421, but I know these things are subjective and there was a reason why these choices were made.

I am secretly hoping that Ownhammer and York are already hard at work making their own dyna cab captures using their full mic locker. I know my wallet is ready and waiting!

Actual mics are used to capture IRs.

Note that IRs are not "modeled", they are captured.
Got it. I was hoping there might be some modeling of the microphones interaction with the preamp to make it more “dynamic.”

Not sure how much that matters.

I would be in favor of gutting all the legacy cabs to make room for more dyna cab mics, if it allowed more choices to be included. These dyna cabs sound great, and I am already missing the ability to try certain mic combos. For example, I prefer the sound of a 160 ribbon over the 121, and I sometimes like to pair a 57 with a 421, but I know these things are subjective and there was a reason why these choices were made.

I am secretly hoping that Ownhammer and York are already hard at work making their own dyna cab captures using their full mic locker. I know my wallet is ready and waiting!
Hell yes. You can kill off the IR cabs 100% AFAIC. Give us more of these dyna cabs and I’m golden.

Sean.e touched on what seems like a logical reason above as to why the specific mic would not be noted: If there's only room for 3 and we would need to swap others in/out. But in that case I would still want to know what specific mics I'm moving around in that external source to export into Axfx

If space is a issue I could live with loosing the Legacy cabs in if Dyna Cab can only support 3 mics at a time I think separate Dyna firmware for each mic would be a good way like how Cliff just shared a SM7 version instead of the stock SM57. That way we choose wich Dynamic or Condenser or Ribbion we want to load on our units ya it would be a bunch of firmware to choose from & mix match and mean we have to load 3 firmware for dyna but could be a good solution. But I’m only speculating with the no room comment from Cliff.

Personally, I'd much rather they did NOT lose the legacy cabs. I have hundreds of presets that use them, and I am not going to go through and tweak all those just to get sounds back. They work just fine for me, I'm very happy with the sounds I get, I play music with them rather than spending hours tweaking sounds that nobody will ever notice in a mix, but would still like to have the Dynacabs that we now have to have a play around with them occasionally.

Maybe I'm turning into a stick-in-the-mud in my old age? ;)

After Reading this, to me this new feature is a small demo of what the axe 4 will have . Don’t expect 3rd party if there is room for 3 mics .
For the rest they don’t want us to be able to remove the factory cab, this »wish » was already on the table when they release the full rez irs for turbo versions only .

I don't think losing legacy cabs to make room for extra Dyna-cabs is on the table. I can't remember a time where Fractal has removed a major component just to make room for something else. Reminds me of when Mk 1 users were clamouring for FullRes , saying they wouldn't mind sacrificing a user IR bank to make it fit in the unit.

Then again, since Dyna-cabs are loaded separately from firmware and IIRC, legacy cabs are loaded using a separate utility at Fractal HQ (or was that presets?), maybe the modular nature of the unit might allow for this kind of thing? But again, I'm sure they'll take a conservative approach to make sure they don't end up causing problems for everyday users and big name artists alike.

I don't think losing legacy cabs to make room for extra Dyna-cabs is on the table. I can't remember a time where Fractal has removed a major component just to make room for something else. Reminds me of when Mk 1 users were clamouring for FullRes , saying they wouldn't mind sacrificing a user IR bank to make it fit in the unit.

Then again, since Dyna-cabs are loaded separately from firmware and IIRC, legacy cabs are loaded using a separate utility at Fractal HQ (or was that presets?), maybe the modular nature of the unit might allow for this kind of thing? But again, I'm sure they'll take a conservative approach to make sure they don't end up causing problems for everyday users and big name artists alike.
On discussion more than « in the table » yes. And they didn’t want for many reasons .
That sad that we don’t have a memory slot somewhere in the product to upgrade it without thinking of spending 3k to have the next one. That’s life 😅

Or maybe create 2 different firmwares, one that does away with the legacy cabs, but you have more options for dyna cab mics, and another firmware that essentially keeps things the same as they are now, and the user can choose whichever option they prefer. Just throwing out ideas here.

A 58 works better than a 57 much of the time, also, and is my go-to dynamic mic choice in the few sets I have that include it as a choice. I can work with any of them and get satisfactory results....
Many years ago we used to rent our PA systems from Showco in Dallas. I was speaking to Led Zeppelin's sound man once who told me that he used Shure SM58's to mike up everything for Led Zeppelin live. He said it made it easier to control the feedback than using multiple different types of mics that all would feedback at different frequencies. This was when they were touring for the Houses of the Holy album. They sounded great live. We used them live also as they were more sturdy than SM57's and less likely to get damaged on the road.

Or maybe create 2 different firmwares, one that does away with the legacy cabs, but you have more options for dyna cab mics, and another firmware that essentially keeps things the same as they are now, and the user can choose whichever option they prefer. Just throwing out ideas here.
It will be complicated if you want to share presets to someone else. It is already a mess between the different products fm3/fm9/axe 3…
I hope that in the future they can synchronize all the firmware release at the same time, with the same name like 9.0 firmware for all, no different firmware name . And also having the exact same power on the floor model than the rack one.
I say this because I have messages from people completely lost about it. Some guys don’t even update their product, so imagine 2 firmwares with different names in 3 products 🤣… all of this need more clarity.

here is me thinking out loud, and i know nothing of coding/ memory/ how all this works. but the fact that we added the dynacabs seperate could we just have an option of adding 3 dyna cabs and download the mics and or cabs of your choosing. it would make preset management a bit of an issue possibly. if there were 5 mics shot on the cabniets you can pick and load the 3 of your choosing. just a thought, maybe improbale/impossible.

here is me thinking out loud, and i know nothing of coding/ memory/ how all this works. but the fact that we added the dynacabs seperate could we just have an option of adding 3 dyna cabs and download the mics and or cabs of your choosing. it would make preset management a bit of an issue possibly. if there were 5 mics shot on the cabniets you can pick and load the 3 of your choosing. just a thought, maybe improbale/impossible.
Possible for sure. Maybe even something like that planned.

However preset interchangeability would be much more difficult (PITA) if units/users had different sets of dynacabs.

With an Axe FXIII mkI we have two factory banks with 1024 IRs each, and a legacy bank which contains all 189 stock cabs, and we have 2048 user cabs in two banks of 1024 cabs each.

I probably use less than a dozen of the factory and legacy cabs, and maybe a couple dozen User cabs from my favorite Ownhammer irs.

With the new dyna-cabs we are not going to need 2048 User cabs. I'd be happy to give up one full bank of user cabs and replace them with dyna-cabs if we had the choice.

I doubt many of us will use that many of the factory cabs moving forward.

It looks like we are going to need far less dyna-cabs to find the sounds we want than how we have been doing it in the past. Every dyna-cab is like have many irs.

We all have our favorite microphones. Here are some of mine:
I like the Beyer M160 ribbon mic.
I like the Shure KSM 313 ribbon mic.
I like the AKG 414.
I like the Shure sm7 mic.
The old vintage Shure sm57 sounded better than the new ones to me.

I am confident Cliff will choose the best sounding ones. I have more confidence in Cliff's than any of the third party ir makers.

The only obvious things missing from the beta version was 4x10 cab for a Super Reverb, a 59 Bassman cab, and a 2x12 Vox AC30 cab with blue alnicos. I think the final release is going to make every one happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom