Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Dynamic mic (SM57) not sounding great: I agree... kinda... partially. I have read from various sources that SM57s tend to vary widely. I certainly agree with that, having owned 3 SM57s, I have shot each one out and found that one sounded "better" than the others and each one had a hair of difference in its sound. I have also read that older SM57s sound different than modern ones. (York Audio includes a vintage and a modern SM57 in some of their packs iirc.) Perhaps the FAS SM57 is a modern one which has a bit more of that bite that can cause harshness? The only immediate solution is to find "darker" positions. To my ears, while the condesnor and ribbon mics sound very good closer to the cap in most cabs I've tried, the dynamic sounds a bit more towards to edge than its counterparts.

Maybe in the distant future, we can have the choice of being able to load different files for dyna-cabs based on mics? But I don't want to get into that at this stage! I want to explore all the possibilities of the current system before looking/asking for more.

My go to cab for years has been Leon Todd’s LTTV2. I can’t get the 4x12 TV dynacab to sound anywhere near as good as that no matter where I move the dots.
I think it's nearly impossible to get the exact same sound with two different cabs and different mics, even though all components might be the same type. IOW, one 1960TV cab will not sound the same as another 1960TV, one Greenback will not sound exactly the same as another Greenback even if they come off the same batch, one SM57 will sound slightly different than another, and so on. A lot also depends on what speaker in the cab is being mic'ed.

I think it's nearly impossible to get the exact same sound with two different cabs and different mics, even though all components might be the same type. IOW, one 1960TV cab will not sound the same as another 1960TV, one Greenback will not sound exactly the same as another Greenback even if they come off the same batch, one SM57 will sound slightly different than another, and so on. A lot also depends on what speaker in the cab is being mic'ed.
I tried the dynacab equivalent for several of my other go to legacy cabs and never found a setting that sounded better than the legacy cab.

Maybe I should try this later - I am not getting good results from Dyna-Cab so far. Very hollow, scooped and harsh, with almost every setting I have tried - which granted was only a couple hours of tweaking, but not in line with the experience of others.

Thanks.
I’m curious about this as well. I wonder if the install perhaps could get corrupted in some way, or since it’s still in beta, perhaps some bugs are happening during axe edit and or front panel.

I must admit, I spent some time with all of it last night after the first day, and I learned a lot and the tones were fantastic! However, the 5153 cab did and still sounds (to me) hollow and fizzy with lots of sub low. So I wonder if there is some truth to doing a revert, and then reinstall of both firmware and dyna cabs. It could also be using a combo of mics and adjusting them to get more midrange out of them and less fizz and boom, and learning how that works on each individual cabinet. I’d like to get there ideally by mic placement before needing to do any cuts, however low cuts (for me) seem essential to controlling the low end on everything I’ve tried so far. Also, if you do low cuts on one mic only, that dramatically affects the low end phase response, which is to be expected, so matching those gives the most solid low end, which can be preferred, or not preferred; the cuts in the preamp section seem easiest as a global.

On that note of the 5153 cabinet, I also felt like the sub lows remained literally until you were 3/4+ of the distance away which I found strange in real life micing situations. Usually low end drops off fast, and while the tone changes when pulling the mic back on this particular dyna-can, it appears the low almost seems to sound the same the whole time until you get very far back.

Just my observations. I don’t want to seem ungrateful; Fractal’s hard work is very much appreciated and I’m starting to get the hang of the marshall and mesa cabs and getting fantastic tones.

I just loaded this up and all I can say is killer!!!

I used to have a PEQ before the amp and 1 or 2 after the cab to tweak frequencies jumping out.

I copied my main tones to empty slots turned off all the eqs and just moved the mic. I used the Mesa V30 slant cab with the 57 and ribbon and I had my tone in about 30 or so seconds. No need for low cut in cab preamp and no more PEQ in my chain. The 57 is just slightly off the cap to get some brittleness off the sound the ribbon is right on center and backed off about 1cm.

Wow!!!

I tried the dynacab equivalent for several of my other go to legacy cabs and never found a setting that sounded better than the legacy cab.
If an IR works for you, then that's great. I didn't find any settings on the Dyna-cab that could beat my combination of ML Sound Lab's Best IR in the World and the MEGA Green cab pack. That doesn't mean there are no good sounds in the dyna-cabs, but if an IR sounds best to you (as it does to me in the case of heavy tones) then isn't that really a good thing? Don't have to mess around in the cab block with mics, just select your favourite IR and go!

If an IR works for you, then that's great. I didn't find any settings on the Dyna-cab that could beat my combination of ML Sound Lab's Best IR in the World and the MEGA Green cab pack. That doesn't mean there are no good sounds in the dyna-cabs, but if an IR sounds best to you (as it does to me in the case of heavy tones) then isn't that really a good thing? Don't have to mess around in the cab block with mics, just select your favourite IR and go!
Have tons of payware IR's but my go to is ML Sound Lab's Best IR - its great

Off to do a new install - so many happy campers here - fingers crossed

I ve the Torpedo captor x that use the "same" approach and i ve to say that it s not so simple to obtain a good sound especially if you have the habit to use two microphones.. The sweet spot combination between two could require lot of tweaking if you re not familiar with the real ones.. So ir lovers dont be scared.. Maybe the ir could be better anyway..

I just loaded this up and all I can say is killer!!!

I used to have a PEQ before the amp and 1 or 2 after the cab to tweak frequencies jumping out.

I copied my main tones to empty slots turned off all the eqs and just moved the mic. I used the Mesa V30 slant cab with the 57 and ribbon and I had my tone in about 30 or so seconds. No need for low cut in cab preamp and no more PEQ in my chain. The 57 is just slightly off the cap to get some brittleness off the sound the ribbon is right on center and backed off about 1cm.

Wow!!!
Interesting about the no need for low cut! I’m finding I need one on every dyna-cab so far; generally from 80-95hz depending on the cabinet.

I don’t know if it’s something I’m doing, or that it speaks to the quality of York audio IRs, but I found I wasn’t getting any better tones with the dyna cabs. It was MUCH easier to get the tone I was after and I could get the same tone as my much loved York IRs, but it’s not making me want to rush and change my presets.
Not knocking them at all, as it’s great to be able to visualise the mic position and get the type of tone you’re after straight away. No fuss.
Like I say, I think it just speaks to the quality of the YA IRs. Win win!
I think York Audio are the best IRs for Axe-FX right now.

Do we know how many cabs will be added and what they are?

Will there be support for 3rd party cabs?

I think York Audio are the best IRs for Axe-FX right now.

Do we know how many cabs will be added and what they are?

Will there be support for 3rd party cabs?
We don't know what cabs will be added. I think Cliff said about 30 in total.

3rd party IR creators will be able to rent equipment from Fractal to create new cabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom