Whats Cliff doing now?

In the mock-up that was posted of the units display showed what would be a mic moving in a perfect circle, which wouldn’t change the sound at all.
Actually, it can change the sound. Room reflections provide color, even when you're close-miked. Different positions around the circle have different distances from the floor/walls/ceiling. That's why people report that the individual speakers in a 4x12 cab sound different from each other.

Actually, it can change the sound. Room reflections provide color, even when you're close-miked. Different positions around the circle have different distances from the floor/walls/ceiling. That's why people report that the individual speakers in a 4x12 cab sound different from each other.

Speakers aren’t perfect. They’re all going to have different characteristics. When you use the same speaker in two different positions, you’re miking the room and cab at that point.

This ^^, I suspect while Cliff Implemented his own way, in theory like the Helix they should use Less DSP , but I'm just guessing
It would be sad if new Dyna Cabs could not be Implemented in the FM 3
I don't think lower DSP usage is necessarily a given.

The Helix cabs use less DSP because they improved the efficiency of the IR processing algorithms, so the Helix IR block also saw a corresponding reduction in DSP usage.

I would imagine that Fractals IR processing algorithms are already highly optimised, and since ultimately a "Dyna-Cab" block distills your parameter choice down to a single IR file, I'd also imagine that DSP usage is going to be very similar to just picking a 2048 sample IR.

As you say though, it's all pure speculation until the facts are known.

My guess is that new cab block + FM3 back order = upcoming FM3 MKII.
Anything is possible but I'm pretty sure they said that new hardware is less and less likely to be around the corner due to the what the world is today. Unless there was a meaningful update or a need to update the chips due to current shortages I dont see them going out of their way to do a FM3 turbo or mk2... but still, anything is possible.

I doubt to have a visual in the front pannel. Maybe axe edit only
IMO the visualization is actually one of the more important parts of this sort of cab sim.

The problem with IRs is that you don't have any reference what it translates to so most people pick a cab they like then go through the IRs until they find something that works for them. That leaves a huge amount of those IRs unused. Not having a visualization ends up in the same spot where the original Line6 Helix cab sim was - the position/distance options weren't intuitive.

With a visualization you can start thinking like micing a real speaker. "Hmm, I should pull back the mic a bit to reduce the boomy low end" or "I should move it closer to the center to make it a bit brighter". That hugely reduces reliance on preset IRs or mixes as the user can craft their own easily.

ML Sound Lab actually posted a really nice video about micing cabs, showcasing using the brand new MIKKO 2 plugin how different mics can require different techniques for placement and how different sides of the cone can sound different.

Last edited:
IMO the visualization is actually one of the more important parts of this sort of cab sim.

The problem with IRs is that you don't have any reference what it translates to so most people pick a cab they like then go through the IRs until they find something that works for them. That leaves a huge amount of those IRs unused. Not having a visualization ends up in the same spot where the original Line6 Helix cab sim was - the position/distance options weren't intuitive.

With a visualization you can start thinking like micing a real speaker. "Hmm, I should pull back the mic a bit to reduce the boomy low end" or "I should move it closer to the center to make it a bit brighter". That hugely reduces reliance on preset IRs or mixes as the user can craft their own easily.

ML Sound Lab actually posted a really nice video about micing cabs, showcasing using the brand new MIKKO 2 plugin how different mics can require different techniques for placement and how different sides of the cone can sound different.

Thanks for this. This feature was actually something I didn’t like when I was using a Helix. For me, it’s more option overload and I spend too much time tinkering, ending up with ear fatigue and something I think sounds good. Then when I come back to it realise it sounds pants.
Its only because I don’t have much experience with micing cabs, but definitely a skill I should learn. Here’s the perfect chance!

What I love about the Fractal products is the option is there. You can go as deep or shallow (me) as you like.

Why? Because the dust cap is the brightest sounding part of the speaker and as the mic moves toward the edge it gets darker.

In and out picks up more of the room ambience in relation to the speaker sound.
In addition to room tone generally increasing with longer close-micing distances, regarding the various cardioid and figure-8 mic's, their proximity effects enhance low-end response close to the source which dissipates as the mic is moved further away from the source (the various Omni style mics, and to a somewhat lessor degree Variable-D mics do not exhibit this proximity effect).

What I wanted to say is that I was not sure that we had a graphical representation of the cones in the front panel (but in axe edit )

I wish I had an AxeFX III and was on the beta testers list! I want one someday but bought and FM3, FC-6, FM9 Turbo, two EV-1s and an EV-2 in the last 8 months. Gotta chill out for a while so I don’t upset the wife…

If Fractal wants to send me a unit to test with I’d be happy to. Or FAS can add me to the beta testers for either FM unit. I play every day so it would definitely get tested! 😊
If it helps in discussions with the wife, ive got two AxeFxIIIs (a Mk1 and a Mk2) two Fc12s, an FM9 and FC6 and Ev1 and Ev2 and a FX8 (have also had a FM3, AxeFX2, AX9) - so you need to step up your game ;) Hope that helps.

Yay! Now I can decide where I want to put the 57 and 121 on the V30 in that Mesa cab! (JK!) Seriously though, this is something I am really excited about. Feels like we're entering a new era in the FAS-universe, especially with Cab-Lab 4 and the new Cab block UI (at least in Axe-edit?). I can't thank Cliff and the team enough for making this accessible for Mk I users like me. I had already started doing the "gear maths" of selling my AFIII Mk I and a few other things to get a MkII, just in case the new cab updates were going to be Mk II and Turbo-only.

Anything is possible but I'm pretty sure they said that new hardware is less and less likely to be around the corner due to the what the world is today. Unless there was a meaningful update or a need to update the chips due to current shortages I dont see them going out of their way to do a FM3 turbo or mk2... but still, anything is possible.
Well this again is speculation, but consider the Fm3 has sold extremely well now if new Dynacabs would limit the the Fm3 or could not be implemented i would imagine a lot of disappointed users, i dont think that Fractal as a company would not have studied this aspect
to make sure that this new major update works across all current platforms

Well this again is speculation, but consider the Fm3 has sold extremely well now if new Dynacabs would limit the the Fm3 or could not be implemented i would imagine a lot of disappointed users, i dont think that Fractal as a company would not have studied this aspect
to make sure that this new major update works across all current platforms
I guess we will have to see - but not every fx3 implementation is in the FM series (tonematch example)
Perhaps cablab 4 will be the answer?

Back
Top Bottom