Gift of Tone #15 - PHIL COLLEN of DEF LEPPARD

OK, FM3 (and FM9) folks, give these a try. I made it stereo with a left and a right. Hard pan them in the cab block with the block's input set to LEFT.
Thanks so much for taking the time to do this and a 2nd gift of tone in one day
Much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions for John...
What are the guitars tuned to in the studio recording of Photograph? 432?

I was going to ask if you had to reset the amp's input EQ Low Cut back to 714Hz after upgrading to firmware 21 because that value seems high and firmware 21 upgrading reset the values back to defaults. I see that it is the default for the JMPre-1 OD1 amp. Did Def Leppard's collaboration with Fractal contribute to that default?

I hear a guitar playing the arpeggios that is cleaner than the shared tones. Even the songster tabs have those arpeggios on a track labeled as "Electric Guitar (Clean)". Perhaps attempts to play along with those parts without the clean tone is why people are commenting about the tones being dark. Is it that Phil doesn't play that clean tone so it isn't included?

Who's to say we don't also get a Viv preset? Only the Gods of Tone and Matt know the answers
to these and other pressing questions. šŸ¤£

Questions for John...
What are the guitars tuned to in the studio recording of Photograph? 432?

I was going to ask if you had to reset the amp's input EQ Low Cut back to 714Hz after upgrading to firmware 21 because that value seems high and firmware 21 upgrading reset the values back to defaults. I see that it is the default for the JMPre-1 OD1 amp. Did Def Leppard's collaboration with Fractal contribute to that default?

I hear a guitar playing the arpeggios that is cleaner than the shared tones. Even the songster tabs have those arpeggios on a track labeled as "Electric Guitar (Clean)". Perhaps attempts to play along with those parts without the clean tone is why people are commenting about the tones being dark. Is it that Phil doesn't play that clean tone so it isn't included?
They don't use clean tones for the chorus live.

It sounds amazing here! Not bright, not dark. Like at the live video posted above. And it is an excellent platform for tweaking other Def Leppard tones.

Ibanez J.Custom with Dimarzio Satchur8. Great through Audeze LCD2 headphones and through Genelec monitors on a acoustically treated room

Thank you @Admin M@ @jzguitar and all the Fractal Audio family

This is just killer!

Phil was the reason I started playing guitar in the first place.
Viv and him are still massive favourites of mine.

Can't wait to try this,

@Admin M@ Thank you so much for this really cool series
Same here - well Steve originally but then Phil really stepped up and became the legend he is today

You're listening to the original record? That part was clean on the record but they've never done it clean like that live. How does it sound on the scene in the preset?

Well this is a game changer - and it's probably going to push me over the line for a fractal now because I've been dialling in DL tones for various era's on my Helix with pretty good results - including the elusive Hysteria record tone - but this is the real deal, and frankly, how the hell is any competitor supposed to compete with that - they can't, it's a total slam dunk for Fractal. I'm not going to mention this on the Helix forum, I'll be exiled.

I would love to see how they've set this preset up, particularly as it's been balanced for a PC1, because my PC1 sounds quite a lot different from all of my other guitars. I spoke to John a while ago about the fractal gear and he confirmed even back then that they were using the amp sims. What an endorsement that is.

Two questions for you guys - the original preset is obviously Axe III, can it be ported over to an FM9 or FM3?
Also for anyone who has delved into the preset - how it is EQ'd - are they doing anything unusual?

Back
Top Bottom