Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ollo says the main difference is the 3- dimensionality of the sound stage. Frequency response is about the same. I must say I like them even more than my HD650. It really is an immersive experience when listening to music.
would you say those s5x are best from all those HP you tried ?

There are myriad examples of very popular, commercially produced guitar tracks that cut through the mix just fine and don't sound fizzy at all. A few prominent examples:

Heart - Barracuda
Boston - More Than A Feeling
Dio - Rainbow In The Dark
Iron Maiden - Wasted Years
Rush - Limelight

There are certainly examples of popular tracks with fizzy guitars, but you do not need fizz to cut through a mix.
I've been trying to match tone with some Robben Ford tracks, and some Steely Dan as well the past couple of days. I find myself surprised at how little high end there is in a lot of the tones I'm hearing on the recordings...almost like there's a rolloff in the EQ that starts around 3kHz. Those tracks seem to sit just fine, but those are really different tones. They seem to rely on mids and high mids a lot more to cut through, and leave the high end to the vocals, cymbals, etc.

Honestly, though, with regards to the fizz I've been hearing "the real amp does that" for every firmware version dating back to the AxeFX2 I used to have. Some of those amps have since been updated to be more accurate, and some fizz got removed, e.g. using the snubber diodes. Every firmware is accurate. Some are just more so.

There are certainly examples of popular tracks with fizzy guitars, but you do not need fizz to cut through a mix.

True. It depends on the mix. One mix might need a darker rhythm guitar to avoid competing with a lead vocal that lives in the same frequencies. (Mix engineer speaking.)

However… we’re kinda debating “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin”. 1) Defining “fizz”, for starters. 2) Whether somebody enjoys “fizz”, assuming there is an agreed upon definition. Etc.

Juicy harmonic “sizzle” is the essence of every great overdriven guitar tone, in my opinion. Am I referring to “fizz”? I have no idea.

True. It depends on the mix. One mix might need a darker rhythm guitar to avoid competing with a lead vocal that lives in the same frequencies. (Mix engineer speaking.)

However… we’re kinda debating “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin”. 1) Defining “fizz”, for starters. 2) Whether somebody enjoys “fizz”, assuming there is an agreed upon definition. Etc.

Juicy harmonic “sizzle” is the essence of every great overdriven guitar tone, in my opinion. Am I referring to “fizz”? I have no idea.
Fizz is easy to ID using a spectrum analyzer. It appears as one or more narrow boosts somewhere around and/or above 5K. I've never found an example of fizz that couldn't be identified using an SA. In isolation, it usually sounds like, well, fizz, hence the name. It's simple to remove and I haven't found a guitar track that can't be made to cut through a mix better without it, but I'm open to examples.

Last edited:
Honestly, though, with regards to the fizz I've been hearing "the real amp does that" for every firmware version dating back to the AxeFX2 I used to have. Some of those amps have since been updated to be more accurate, and some fizz got removed, e.g. using the snubber diodes. Every firmware is accurate. Some are just more so.
It's true that a lot of real amps do have fizz, but that doesn't mean I want it in my mix. Unless you intentionally want fizz as an effect, it simply adds unnecessary noise and clutters the high-end of a studio mix, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Fizz is easy to ID using a spectrum analyzer. It appears as one or more narrow boosts somewhere around and/or above 5K. I've never found an example of fizz that couldn't be identified using an SA. In isolation, it usually sounds like, well, fizz, hence the name. It's simple to remove and I haven't found a guitar track that can't be made to cut through a mix better without it, but I'm open to examples.

By this definition, “fizz” exists in all audio content that spans 5K.

Ollo says the main difference is the 3- dimensionality of the sound stage. Frequency response is about the same. I must say I like them even more than my HD650. It really is an immersive experience when listening to music.
If anyone wants a (very) lightly used pair of Ollos, PM me. They didn't really fit my ears well enough to work comfortably.

The songs mentioned from the 70s that had fizzy guitars. Seriously, must be Spotify or something similar with a reduced bit rate. Those recordings were far from fizzy, whatever the hell fizzy means, maybe it's a new word for thick ,analog. Fuzzy would be a big muff, fizzy... hmm a thin sounding ds1 with 7s on a strat perhaps, then played back with a bit rate reduced to cram 40 files on an mp3.. that's probably what fizzy means, reduced bit rate for mp3 or playing on an iPhone that has zero hifi capabilities

that's probably what fizzy means, reduced bit rate for mp3 or playing on an iPhone that has zero hifi capabilities

No, I think some are implying that guitar overdrive “fizz” is a discrete component about which they are particularly sensitive or concerned.

As a mix engineer, I’ve never applied that much fine grained scrutiny to guitar tracks. I’ll tune guitar stems, once I have the mix organized to my liking. But I’ve never isolated anything like “fizz” (e.g. notching out 5K-ish) as if it’s a discrete component worthy of special attention. I’m not questioning anyone else’s approach. I’ve just never found it necessary to tackle as a specific adjustment (yet!).

No, I think some are implying that guitar overdrive “fizz” is a discrete component about which they are particularly sensitive or concerned.

As a mix engineer, I’ve never applied that much fine grained scrutiny to guitar tracks. I’ll tune guitar stems, once I have the mix organized to my liking. But I’ve never isolated anything like “fizz” (e.g. notching out 5K-ish) as if it’s a discrete component worthy of special attention. I’m not questioning anyone else’s approach. I’ve just never found it necessary to tackle as a specific adjustment (yet!).
Cool, those guitar tones were far from fizzy, pretty serous tone , at least the final.recording was obviously multi- platinum material and beyond, so when someone produces mixes , records anything that goes multi platinum with all this glorified technology, by all means someone let me know. Anything platinum in the last decade is crap vocoder, pitch correction, digital verb...etc etc etc... unbelievable I even care to comment. Ed created a guitar tone in the 70s that has not been even considered a step-up, and look what he had to work with. No one has even come close even with all this digital computerized technological advanced gazillion gigabyte software. And if they do it will be to late cause someone did it last week.

Fizz is a modern phenomenon introduced by the amazing dual rectifier, which has fur under every note.

Barracuda is practically clean guitars and aside from Boston, most of that list is not likely close miced, at least not in the sm57 in front of the dust cap scraping the grill cloth sense, as in modern recordings.

As for EVH, there was only one of him and not likely to reoccur for several generations.

Fizz is a modern phenomenon introduced by the amazing dual rectifier, which has fur under every note.
Fizz is a high-end issue that's been around for over 4 decades. An early example (c. 1982) would be Scorpions No One Like You.

Barracuda is practically clean guitars and aside from Boston, most of that list is not likely close miced, at least not in the sm57 in front of the dust cap scraping the grill cloth sense, as in modern recordings.
Okay, but what's your point? I was responding to the claim that fizz is essential for cutting through a mix and that it's what well-mixed guitars sound like. There may be examples of well-mixed guitars with fizz, but there are plenty of examples without it, hence the list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom