FM3 Firmware Version 6.00 beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The brunt of the CPU improvement is in code which is run for every block but most blocks received additional although minor improvements.
As for the Diffusion parameters- that might be a question for @Admin M@
Thanks for the reply. It was removed because of the added CPU when using the 'Diffusion' function, causing some issues. In light of these latest CPU improvements, I was just hoping that it could be revisited. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the reply. In the past it was not possible because of the added CPU when using the 'Diffusion' function. In light of these latest CPU improvements, I was just hoping that it could be revisited. Fingers crossed.
Yep. I don't recall what the added CPU usage was for those parameters. It might be worth a look if there isn't anything else of higher priority.

Yep. I don't recall what the added CPU usage was for those parameters. It might be worth a look if there isn't anything else of higher priority.
I have no idea either, as they don't really affect the CPU% meter. Since they both operate on a separate processor or partition.

Very cool. Between this awesome overall CPU improvement and the (possible?) reinstatement of the 'Diffusion' function in the Delay block, I could put back a lot of mojo in many of my presets that I was forced to remove over the past few updates due to increasing CPU% restraints.

Last edited:
I think this bug is still not fixed:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/problem-with-scene-ignore.184905/#post-2279940

Explanation:
I save the preset 501 with the Synth block bypassed and scene ignore activated.
Then I change to another preset, and go back to the preset 501.
The preset 501 is opened with the Synth block not bypassed and scene ignore activated.

Is it a bug or not?
I would guess the preset will load with block states as saved. Once you leave the preset, it doesn’t know the last state it was in because a preset loads saved states.

What happens if you bypass the synth, save, then leave and return to the preset?

Scene Ignore works well while in a preset and changing scenes. I think that’s all it’s supposed to do. It’s not really a “preset ignore”.

I would guess the preset will load with block states as saved. Once you leave the preset, it doesn’t know the last state it was in because a preset loads saved states.

What happens if you bypass the synth, save, then leave and return to the preset?

Scene Ignore works well while in a preset and changing scenes. I think that’s all it’s supposed to do. It’s not really a “preset ignore”.
Scenario 1:
I save the preset with Synth not bypassed, scene ignore not active. When I re-open the preset is well saved, with the same configuration.

Scenario 2:
I save the preset with Synth bypassed, scene ignore not active. When I re-open the preset is well saved.

Scenario 3:
I save the preset with Synth not bypassed, scene ignore active. When I re-open the preset is well saved.

Scenario 4:
I save the preset with Synth bypassed, scene ignore active. When I re-open the preset, the Synth is not bypassed (preset is saved as scenario 3)

This is not a minor update.

I had never really been happy with my FM3, or any modeler for that matter. It always felt flat. Thin in the treble, harsh in the upper mids, and either boomy or thin in the bass. Good enough for the audience, but I had never gotten lost playing like I do with a good amp. I usually find myself tone chasing instead of playing. I had contemplated selling the FM3 and just buying an HX effects to pair with my Amp1.

This afternoon, however, I left work at the ICU early. The wife is away, so I loaded 6.0 beta, and couldn't stop playing for an hour. It feels rounder, warmer, more dynamic, more 3D. Time disappeared the way it does every once in a while when the guitar sounds perfect. The AC15, super reverb, and Swart amps just sang. The Klone is perfect, and the SC20 might be my new favorite amp.
The new amp modeling really revealed the sound of my guitars. The amps sound better than previously, but, on top of it, they're not getting in the way.
Maybe it's mostly in my head. I don't know. But I've never had that experience with the FM3 before.
It's not in your head. Upgrading the firmware is always done to improve the system. If you got your FM3 around when you signed onto the forum, then you might have missed the first release of the Cygnus firmware which was just as big of a change, I'd have to double-check the release notes.

I think you'll enjoy playing this new firmware. I do.

Last edited:
The new amp modeling really revealed the sound of my guitars. The amps sound better than previously, but, on top of it, they're not getting in the way.

It's not in your head. Upgrading the firmware is always done to improve the system. If you got your FM3 around when you signed onto the forum, then you might have missed the first release of the Cygnus firmware which was just as big of a change, I'd have to double-check the release notes.

I think you'll enjoy playing this new firmware. I do.
I've had it since version 1.something. It has come a long way.

I'm digging improvents in scene and channel switching time. It really makes a big difference.

btw. Didn't you forget to mention new Scene ignore in release notes?

Years back I had extensively compared the fm3 loaded with one of the earliest firmwares against others units, tube amps, Kempers, helixes, cortexes eventually. Back then I decided that fm3 does what I need the best and that there was no real need for other units.

Now nearing 2023 it sounds and feels meaningfully better to me than back then.

Especially the feel aspect is amazing atm. I thought that the mute response was generally better than competing devices I tested FM3 against back then.. but now, even if the margin of difference between some firmwares is small by some metrics (say, not as large as moving from Beringer sim to axe fx), they are quite meaningful to me and absolutely make me play differently.

Better, that is. These updates go into a level of nuance that, at least if you care about such details, is hard not to appreciate. It's not that fm3 was not very usable before. It was great for me. But yes, there's absolutely a layer that takes this firmware a meaningful step ahead to my perception.

Last edited:
A bit confused on speaker thump
what is correct value for a 100 watt amp into a 4x12 w four 25 watt speakers?
Or a 50 watt into a 4x12 with four 60 watt speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom