Reverb issue (crackling... regardless of reverb type) AXE FX III MKII - FW 20.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at 0:35 seconds for example. I play and let ring out a chord. Do you see it jumping up and down from around 10 kHz and above?
Sorry, I’m not seeing or hearing it. Fluctuation in the RTA is common for a “steady” signal, regardless of manufacturer or device.

1. Are your axe fx 3 units in the same location (also - if they are not, is the axe fx 3 near a major power terminal / high EM/RF electronics?)
2. Is all of the cabling the same?
3. I imagine this is obv- but your guitars are the same, too?
4. Have you checked all the other drivers (USB and so on)?

If all of that is answered yes then I have no idea! Hopefully someone can give you some good advice.
1. Yes, sir. Not on at the same time, but I doubt that would be the issue. Again. These glitches ONLY occur with the reverb block. Everything else is fine sounding, including delays and Room IRs.
2. Cabling the same.
3. Same guitar.
4. I haven't but it also happens with no computer connected to the unit.
Is downgrading to a previous firmware perhaps an option? See if the issue disappears?

Have you also checked the USB firmware?
Windows or MacOS?
Can you hear this in the live play or only in your recording?
Compare this once without a PC connection (USB)
There is also no connection via SPDIF?
Do you have another listening possibility.
I played the video much slower to hear anything out of the ordinary.
Maybe you set another recording?
Is the output quality set to best under Setup?

Look at 0:35 seconds for example. I play and let ring out a chord. Do you see it jumping up and down from around 10 kHz and above?
Are you saying you hear crackling? Or are you saying you "see" what you think is an indication of crackling in the RTA? I hear some graininess, but no crackling at 0:35. But I do hear distortion at 0:07, before you turned on the reverb.

Last edited:
Have you also checked the USB firmware?
Windows or MacOS?
Can you hear this in the live play or only in your recording?
Compare this once without a PC connection (USB)
There is also no connection via SPDIF?
Do you have another listening possibility.
I played the video much slower to hear anything out of the ordinary.
Maybe you set another recording?
Is the output quality set to best under Setup?
Happens even without anything connected except headphones.

It's not clipping at any stage. Tried all of that, sadly. When I strum hard (Duncan Distortion pickup) it doesn't even touch the red on the meters.

But it is audible nonetheless. Have you checked 0:35 seconds?
I'm not talking about the meters on the front. What does it look like in the "output1" block Left / Right in axe edit?

I'm not talking about the meters on the front. What does it look like in the "output1" block Left Right in axe edit?
I too am talking about those meters. Safely in the blue (-12dB at peak). It's not a clipping issue. Or else other effects would likely produce these same glitches.
It's just the reverb block.

couple of things to try
take the verb and put it in series , see if you still have issues
Also put the delay in front of the verb and the reverb last in the signal chain , see if that helps

your reverb sounds more like a slapback delay that is having some unwanted artifacts , you may be getting the delay on the reverb reflections. making it kind of metallic. like a spring tank

couple of things to try
take the verb and put it in series , see if you still have issues
Also put the delay in front of the verb and the reverb last in the signal chain , see if that helps

your reverb sounds more like a slapback delay that is having some unwanted artifacts , you may be getting the delay on the reverb reflections. making it kind of metallic. like a spring tank
Verb in series, same problem.
Reverb makes these sounds regardless of where I try and put it.

Yeah, its sound reminds me one of those dosimeters in HBO's Chernobyl going batshit crazy. :D
I wonder if this is an issue that could be resolved with a rollback or update of FW for me.

I wouldn't say you're crazy :). But, nobody hears what you claim is happening. So, maybe step back and reconsider what you're doing. Remove the RTA from your preset. In fact turn off your display monitor close your eyes and listen for the distortion. It obviously has nothing to do with the reverb. I would guess you're clipping the input.

I wouldn't say you're crazy :). But, nobody hears what you claim is happening. So, maybe step back and reconsider what you're doing. Remove the RTA from your preset. In fact turn off your display monitor close your eyes and listen for the distortion. It obviously has nothing to do with the reverb. I would guess you're clipping the input.
I thought I was. But a couple of gents here do hear it too and the RTA on the Axe FX and Fab Filter Pro Q3 in Pro Tools show visually that something is going on up there.

Thanks for your time, of course. Rock on :cool:.

Contact support as well?

I will if no one knows a fix.

I'd wager you're clipping the input. Like GlennO said it's clipping on the chord hits even before you turn the reverb on. Zoom way in on the input waveform and look for flat clipped peaks. Turn your A/D Sensitivity setting down in the I/O menu for Input 1 until your DI tracks no longer have any flat clipped peaks.

a couple of gents here do hear it too
I think you misunderstood my comment when I said I heard distortion. With all due respect, I think you're too excited about your new Axe-FX and you're jumping to an incorrect conclusion that there is something wrong with it.

I think you misunderstood my comment when I said I heard distortion. With all due respect, I think you're too excited about your new Axe-FX and you're jumping to an incorrect conclusion that there is something wrong with it.
Well, among others Randalljax and moxypants both perfectly described what I am clearly hearing too.
I'm sorry you cannot hear it and appreciate you thinking along but this is clearly wasting your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom