New to Axe-Fx - FW 19 or Quantum Beta?

Hey all!

I have been hanging around the forum for about a month now and this is my first post :) This is such a great place with lots of info, thanks to all who contribute!! Anyways onto my question!...

My used Axe-Fx II XL will be here tomorrow and I'm of course going to want to spend tons of time with it. This being my first time using an Axe-Fx, should I leave FW 19 there or should I upgrade it to QUANTUM right away even before its released as an official FW?

I've heard so much good about QUANTUM and I almost feel like I'm missing out if don't use QUANTUM. With prior Axe experience, what do you guys recommend doing? Thanks for you help!!!

(PS: If this is in the wrong spot or any thing then I apologize)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

G'day johnny,
Mate, if you are going to use the computer and axe edit, I'd suggest staying with 19 as there's some issues with axe edit, user cabs, and quantum at the moment. Having said that if you are just going to play without a computer connection, quantum :)
Welcome by the way - this will be the best purchase you have made.

Pauly

Being that your a first time user id stay on 19. Axe edit makes learning the axe so much easier and there things in the new beta that are not avalible in edit just yet.

I agree with the suggestion to stay on a stable version. I would not recommend to be a Beta Tester of any product that you still don't know very well.

Hello and welcome to the forum Johnny, I would suggest you stay on the fw 19 until the quantum release is available.
Because with fw 19 you have full compatibility with axe edit, and that is a great tool imho to get a better understanding
about the machine and work flow.

Firmware 19 sounds awesome so you still have the best released firmware on the planet :)
I don't think it will be that long before the quantum release is here. Those guys at FAS and
the beta testers are incredible, the are constantly and relentlessly working on it, and honing it.

Enjoy your new machine and we are glad you joined the forum

:)

" I see now that I misread your post, I thought you had no prior experience with axe fx ... :) "

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!! I think this pretty well answers my question, sticking with FW 19 it is! :)

Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My suggestion is to throw the "quantum" beta on your Axe. Why? First of all you'll then be forced to use the frontpanel. This might sound idiotic, but it's important to know how to use the Axe without Axe-Edit!!! Second reason is, the "quantum" beta sounds different and better, so if you start with fw19, you'll soon have to look into your sounds again as soon as fw21 ("quantum") is out.

Just go with "quantum" and go through as many amps and cabs and have fun :) It should be stable enough! If you find problems, report them, so everyone benefits. That's how we do it here.

It all depends on what you are into. If you want to plug and play go quantum and learn the front panel as you need. If you want to tinker and are interested in stringing things up in axe edit, go 19.

The only problem with staying with FW19 is that when the public Quantum comes out and you upgrade, you will need to do a fair amount of tweaking. So it depends on if you are going to just plug in and play without getting into too much tweaking, or if you are going to want to work at dialing in your tones. It would be a shame to spend a lot of time dialing in your tones only to have public Quantum come out next week and having to start over. Though having to do that would be a good exercise, you will lots of opportunity to re-tweak your tones with future upgrades that are destined to come out. Just something to consider.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Fractal. Don't be afraid to ask for help here. This is a great community with lots of helpful humanoids! Woot!

The only problem with staying with FW19 is that when the public Quantum comes out and you upgrade, you will need to do a fair amount of tweaking. So it depends on if you are going to just plug in and play without getting into too much tweaking, or if you are going to want to work at dialing in your tones. It would be a shame to spend a lot of time dialing in your tones only to have public Quantum come out next week and having to start over. Though having to do that would be a good exercise, you will lots of opportunity to re-tweak your tones with future upgrades that are destined to come out. Just something to consider.

I don't know where you base this on.
I didn't tweak nuttin going from 19 to 20 to Quantum beta.

I think it depends on how deep you went into advanced parameters or additional blocks like compression or filters to shape the sound you are after.

If you stayed with amp + cab and left everything at their default values apart from BMT, gain, master and presence there is next to nothing to change when going from 19 to 20 to quantum.

If you went deep into the belly of the beast you may have to change more. Maybe even starting from scratch could be less work then. IMHO.

My suggestion is to throw the "quantum" beta on your Axe. Why? First of all you'll then be forced to use the frontpanel. This might sound idiotic, but it's important to know how to use the Axe without Axe-Edit!!! Second reason is, the "quantum" beta sounds different and better, so if you start with fw19, you'll soon have to look into your sounds again as soon as fw21 ("quantum") is out.

Just go with "quantum" and go through as many amps and cabs and have fun :) It should be stable enough! If you find problems, report them, so everyone benefits. That's how we do it here.

I do have to agree that running the beta did force me to be more familiar with the front panel. I think as important as this hardware is, learning how to use it as hardware without axe edit is crucial. I'm excited that the official quantum is imminent. It does sound fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom