John Mayer has a Kemper but no Fractal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is: If I had a room full of amps, I'd probably buy the Kemper aswell. For one simple reason: it's plug (...wait 2 hours for boot-up...) and play. I just profile my favorite amp settings and I'm ready to go. I don't have to sit down making presets or anything.

But I don't have a room full of amps. And I (aswell as my wallet) actually prefer it that way.

And profiles made by other people usually don't work for me (Axe presets usually don't either). Different guitar, different monitoring, different room. So building presets from scratch is a neccesity for me.

If he can play or not....... I get the points though, people say I can play too, and been told that I play better than he does, but I never looked at guitar playing as a competition like some people do, I just enjoy it.........

Why are commenting here? you're just a douche.

I don't know John personally, but no doubt he is a tremendous guitar player, song writer and pop singer.

Even with all his pop success, I think his guitar playing might be his strongest talent.

The guy can hang with almost any musical style. I saw him at the Levon Helm family benefit show. Was deep in the pocket on some Americana music. Playing a Dumble and Strat and not over playing.

Seriously I'm a bit surprised how you guys don't see his talent. Nowadays it's rare to see someone who still does the Clapton/Jimi etc. thing really well and also happens to have one of the best voices. Amazing emotion in his playing always!

Are you hating him because he hasn't tried an Axe-Fx? That's pretty childish. :lol Not everyone has the time to try every piece of gear out there.

Seriously I'm a bit surprised how you guys don't see his talent. Nowadays it's rare to see someone who still does the Clapton/Jimi etc. thing really well and also happens to have one of the best voices. Amazing emotion in his playing always!

Are you hating him because he hasn't tried an Axe-Fx? That's pretty childish. :lol Not everyone has the time to try every piece of gear out there.

I don't hate him, just think he's extremely overrated.

I don't hate him, just think he's extremely overrated.

You have to realize he plays a different genre than f.ex. people like Guthrie Govan. He is still one of the best guitarists in the genre he plays. IMO any guitar player that gets respected these days has done something right that 99,9999999% of other guitarists have failed at doing. It's not about how many notes per second you can play. It's quality over quantity. The guy has won 7 grammys. Any guitarist bashing him after what he has accomplished will come across jealous. :)

You have to realize he plays a different genre than f.ex. people like Guthrie Govan. He is still one of the best guitarists in the genre he plays. IMO any guitar player that gets respected these days has done something right that 99,9999999% of other guitarists have failed at doing. It's not about how many notes per second you can play. It's quality over quantity. The guy has won 7 grammys. Any guitarist bashing him after what he has accomplished will come across jealous. :)

I have no opinion on John Mayer myself, but to what you just said, I disagree. If somebody has a negative opinion on a person who won 7 grammy's, that does not make them labeled as a jealous person. People are allowed to have different interests and like and dislike what they want, that doesn't mean they are jealous. That's like saying if you go see a movie in the theatre and you don't like it, you are jealous you didn't make a movie. I don't care for Justin Beiber or his music at all. The kid's done some really stupid stuff. Does that make me jealous? No. It makes me a human being with an opinion of some other human being.

+1

He's a master of his instrument, in a very laid-back style. Just listen to him playing an acoustic version of Neon for ex.
And although he can play anything, he usually doesn't over-do it on recordings. Like Waiting for the world, or Back to you.

Yeah I get why people don't like him in general (in the context of how much you care for a person when you haven't met them), but I seriously don't get how a guitarist can fail to appreciate how amazing a player he is.

He seems like a fickle guy, lots of interests. He's not my favorite guitar player but I do think he has much more talent than he gets credit for. Heard him do a great version of Bold As Love.

And when you consider all those Dumble amps AND Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jennifer Anniston, Jessica Simpson... Anytime your-love-interests and Brad Pitt's love interests intersect, you must be doing something right.

He's bound to move on the the AXE soon, especially if Brad Pitt gets one first. :^)

IMO any guitar player that gets respected these days has done something right that 99,9999999% of other guitarists have failed at doing.

Respected by whom? Whose respect counts? It's completely subjective.

It's not about how many notes per second you can play. It's quality over quantity.

Nor argument there, and that's why I find him boring.

The guy has won 7 grammys. Any guitarist bashing him after what he has accomplished will come across jealous.

Yeah, because the grammys are a great indicator of quality music :roll

I quite enjoyed his performance with Ed Sheeran when he was hosting the tonight show. I also have a blu-ray of his Where the Light Is concert. His backing band( s ) on it are super pro. I would pay just to see Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino play. I've also seen him live once (my wife bought the tickets) and had the same experience. Tight band, fantastic sound, and a great performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom