Do You Hear a Difference

Do You Hear a Difference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
this echoes my thoughts

Listening with headphones, i do think that the first example has more definition than the second, that the percussive quality of the envelope on the chords and notes are more lively - ie they have more depth and change to them. The second clip sounds almost damn identical, but it loses some of that last bit of sparkle in the highs and action in the lows that gives it the crunchy quality the first one has. In addition, it sounds like the low mids are ever so slightly more present in the second clip - perhaps like the response is trying to make up for the lack of bass integrity.

I hear the same ^ both sound great...1st performance just feels a little better...it is nitpicky, but I can hear it....I don't know which is "real" though...you might have said, but I didn't read...

In the "Questioning" thread I posted the waveform of the Axe-Fx followed by the real amp. I then posted the clip for that waveform. Do you hear a difference?

http://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/triaxis_comp.mp3

Here's the same clip but with the parts reversed:

www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/triaxis_comp_reversed.mp3

If anything Cliff on my end the first clip, first section sounds just a bit crispier, but that is about it. Would have been good to hear it with out the reverb.

Cheers.

Well the reverb throws me off quite a bit but I think in the parts reversed clip there's that low middle thing I was talking about. If I would've gotten this close with my comparison I wouldn't have posted anything about questioning. Is this a mic'ed guitar cab vs IR? Because that was most of the questioning.

I prefer the AxeFX in both clips :) If you have to listen so closely, over & over, 2nd guessing yourself - there's no discernible difference. I doubt anyone could tell which is which even if sitting in the control room playing blindly, switching back & forth.

I'm just posting to say thanks. Not enough time in the day!

Last edited:
Well the reverb throws me off quite a bit but I think in the parts reversed clip there's that low middle thing I was talking about. If I would've gotten this close with my comparison I wouldn't have posted anything about questioning. Is this a mic'ed guitar cab vs IR? Because that was most of the questioning.

Since the recording is the straight example from your thread, and Cliff is stating that he repeated your test exactly, then yes. It's an IR.

Science!

This would only work if the guitar signal was re-amped through both units. If it was played manually twice then the results wouldn't mean anything.

According to Cliff, it basically was. It was done with a looper, so the performances should be the same. It would be a pain to line up the samples. It wouldn't cancel out anyway. You can look at an spectrograph and see that they are slightly different.

Last edited:
Listening on work speakers so take this with a grain of salt, but I hear the first half of clip one being louder and more present than the second. The second half seems darker in comparison.

The only difference I hear through my CLR's is in the low mids. Slightly more punch in the second half of the original clip. Otherwise, they are pretty much identical.

My test was not an IR.

Weird. I seem to remember reading that you captured an IR of your cab and used that to compare both triaxis and Axe.

Oh yeah, here it is:

Like I said:

Did I mention anything about how we were comparing the clips? :) We shot an IR with the Axe-Fx of the exactly same mic position and we compared the recorded audio

The clips were made using an IR. A (lame) riff was recorded using the looper. This riff was played into the Triaxis. The output of the Triaxis was fed to the Axe-Fx which applied a cabinet IR and reverb. The riff was then played into the Axe-Fx which applied the same cabinet IR and reverb.

The original premise was that the Axe-Fx preamp model was "way off". Therefore the test was conceived as to only compare the real preamp with the model, leaving all else the same.

On headphones the first part of the first clip sounded more "angry" and open. The second one was more polite and reserved. I prefer the first part and I can definitely hear a difference. Now for the second clip I also liked the first part for the same reasons.

You realize the first part of the second clip is the second part of the first clip, right?

That's why I reversed the order and posted a second clip. Your ears fool you because the last chord is different than the first chord.

And this right here is why I'm done with this whole topic. People think they hear a difference BETWEEN THE EXACT SAME RECORDING!

Back
Top Bottom