Using the AX8 with a real AMP

Scrbllv

Hi!

I have the AX8 and a Mark V.
I want to use the Mark V as my base and the AX8 for effects. However I don´t want a real cab. I want to use the cab block on the AX8. Furthermore I want to use effects like drive and comp before the preamp and effects like delay after the preamp. It would be optimal to then use the MAIN OUT of the AX8 mostly to have a DI output and to be able to use stereo effects like delay or chorus which should be placed after the preamp.
Is this kind of setup possible? I looked into the 4-cable-method but that´s not what I want since it requires me to use a real cab if I am not mistaken.
Thanks for all the help!

You should be able to use the FX Loop block in the AX8 with the Slave out (Line Level preamp send) of the Mark V. This would use the IN 2 and OUT 2 jacks on the AX8 to connect the Mark V. Connect the AX8 OUT 2 to the input of the Mark V, connect the Mark V Slave out to the AX8 IN 2. Place the FX Loop block after the drive, comp and other 'pre' effects and before the Cab block and 'post' effects like delay or chorus. Use the AX8 OUT 1 to connect with whatever system you're using to monitor.

The Mark V 'SPKR' out must still be connected to a physical cab or load box.

You should be able to use the FX Loop block in the AX8 with the Slave out (Line Level preamp send) of the Mark V. This would use the IN 2 and OUT 2 jacks on the AX8 to connect the Mark V. Connect the AX8 OUT 2 to the input of the Mark V, connect the Mark V Slave out to the AX8 IN 2. Place the FX Loop block after the drive, comp and other 'pre' effects and before the Cab block and 'post' effects like delay or chorus. Use the AX8 OUT 1 to connect with whatever system you're using to monitor.

The Mark V 'SPKR' out must still be connected to a physical cab or load box.
will this setup not leave out the power amp of the mark v? Seems like only the preamp will be in the loop with this setup or am I wrong?

will this setup not leave out the power amp of the mark v? Seems like only the preamp will be in the loop with this setup or am I wrong?
Correct. The other option is using a load box with a DI out but I'm not familiar enough with them to know if it's possible to bypass any IRs or cab emulation in the DI signal.

Hi!
Just in case anyone after me is asking the same question.
My solution so far:
Guitar -> ax8 -> mesa mark V -> (8Ohm output) two notes captor 8 -> ax8 -> PA.

I am really happy with this setup. I can crank the amp and use the load box for output volume. I can use effects like boosts and compressor before the amp, and stereo effects like delay after the amp. I also bypass the real cab completly and use fractal audio IR‘s.
To me it is now much easier to get great tones since i have hundreds of IRs to choose from. I noticed the speaker choice to have a huge impact on the overall tone. Ar first i wasnt happy with my mark v tone. After finding a good IR it was much easier to get an awesome tone IMO. i can record quietly and nobody hates me at bandpractice.

I can def recommend the two notes captor aswell. Just dont use the build in IR simulator.

Back
Top Bottom