Not a Bug Update bug?

JBrannen

This morning in looking at the list of Axe-Edit III topics, I saw where a new version was available, 1.13.18. I couldn't remember if I'd updated my copy or not, so I opened the program and checked to see what I had. My version was 1.13.15. So I clicked on Help, then Check for Updates... It quickly responded No update available. So I clicked on the link in the thread for the update and it quickly updated me to 1.13.18. I realize this isn't a big deal, but it just seemed odd that it originally told me my version (1.13.15) was current. The only thing that might bear on this was that my FX III was not connected at the time.

This morning in looking at the list of Axe-Edit III topics, I saw where a new version was available, 1.13.18. I couldn't remember if I'd updated my copy or not, so I opened the program and checked to see what I had. My version was 1.13.15. So I clicked on Help, then Check for Updates... It quickly responded No update available. So I clicked on the link in the thread for the update and it quickly updated me to 1.13.18. I realize this isn't a big deal, but it just seemed odd that it originally told me my version (1.13.15) was current. The only thing that might bear on this was that my FX III was not connected at the time.
It’s not a bug.

Edit doesn’t look at the thread to be able to tell if there’s an update. The version in the main site’s Support > Download is what triggers it and that probably hasn’t been updated yet.

The FX3 isn’t really aware of Edit or the website. To it, Edit is like basically like a computer terminal, it just sends commands and receives responses.

It’s not a bug.

Edit doesn’t look at the thread to be able to tell if there’s an update. The version in the main site’s Support > Download is what triggers it and that probably hasn’t been updated yet.
I guess you and I have different definitions of bug. ;)

I guess you and I have different definitions of bug. ;)
A bug is the software not behaving as the programmer intended. In this case it’s performing perfectly, but your expectation was different so it confused you.

And now you understand why it does what it does, how it works, and how to preemptively work around the delay of the site being updated.

Well Greg, thank you so much for stooping to help me with this. I see now it's just a problem I have with my expectations. I was relying on definition 7 below, so I had a broader interpretation of "bug" than the one you noted. Again, thanks for taking the time to enlighten me.

Noun[edit]​

bug (plural bugs)

1. (entomology) An insect of the order Hemiptera (the “true bugs”).
  2. Any of various species of marine or freshwater crustaceans; e.g. a Moreton Bay bug, mudbug. quotations ▼
  3. (informal) Any insect, arachnid, or other terrestrial arthropod that is a pest.
    These flies are a bother. I’ll get some bug spray and kill them.
  4. (informal) Any minibeast.
  5. (US) Any insect, arachnid, myriapod or entognath.
  6. (UK, obsolete, specifically) A bedbug. quotations ▼
  7. (chiefly computing and engineering jargon) A problem that needs fixing.

No so much a bug, but a delay in the official update release. We often get direct links to the latest stuff first here on the forum, but the official channels through the Fractal website and apps can sometimes take a little longer to get updated. If they don't mark it as available on the site, the editor will not detect the new version yet.

Keep in mind that the Beta versions don't trigger the same official update process as the full releases do. The links will likely all get updated when the full production version of FW 25 is released.

Last edited:
Well Greg, thank you so much for stooping to help me with this. I see now it's just a problem I have with my expectations. I was relying on definition 7 below, so I had a broader interpretation of "bug" than the one you noted. Again, thanks for taking the time to enlighten me.
  1. (chiefly computing and engineering jargon) A problem that needs fixing.
As others said above, it's not a bug because it doesn't need fixing. It's working as intended.

Snark is unbecoming when others are trying to help. You might not appreciate the help, you are free to not like it, but, we're coming from a good place of trying to be helpful and have absolutely no idea of your experience or background, just as you have none of ours.

Well Greg, thank you so much for stooping to help me with this.
JB – I’m guessing you haven’t been on the forum very long; or if you have, you haven’t posted much.

My experience has been that people here are extraordinarily helpful, and go out of their way to lend a helping hand. You’ll find that the collected knowledge and wisdom of our fellow forum members is a tremendous resource; one that goes far beyond operational assistance and troubleshooting, and deep into the creative realm.

I’ve learned so much about the Axe-FX III’s capabilities I never would have gleaned from reading the manual – and I’m an inveterate manual reader! (It’s a great manual, too.) And there’s always more … it’s a deep, deep well.

I hope that as you continue to spend time here, you will appreciate how willing people are to give of themselves, and of their skills. It’s a remarkably rich community; I’ve never seen one that compares to it.

Split it down the middle... If it's not a bug, your experience may still be that it's buggy... -- and that's fair.

It helps to realize that unimaginable amount of work is being done by a pretty small team, which once was just one or two people...

Last edited:

Noun[edit]​

bug (plural bugs)

1. (entomology) An insect of the order Hemiptera (the “true bugs”).
  2. Any of various species of marine or freshwater crustaceans; e.g. a Moreton Bay bug, mudbug. quotations ▼
  3. (informal) Any insect, arachnid, or other terrestrial arthropod that is a pest.
    These flies are a bother. I’ll get some bug spray and kill them.
  4. (informal) Any minibeast.
  5. (US) Any insect, arachnid, myriapod or entognath.
  6. (UK, obsolete, specifically) A bedbug. quotations ▼
  7. (chiefly computing and engineering jargon) A problem that needs fixing.
I have to say, I like your style. Insult someone thats trying to dumb it down for you because you clearly didnt identify a bug. You'll go far here!

Back
Top Bottom