So What's New on the III? ...(Axe-Fx II vs III)

Please NOT, we all remember the nightmare unstable Axe-Edit from the Standard/Ultra times .... i prefer the Editor as remote control for the hardware as is ...
Ha. Other companies have been able to do this for years. I think this is the only piece of audio hardware I’ve ever seen without an offline editor, in fact.
I’m sure they will have thought about how to do this properly before finishing the design.

Are there more than 2 scene controllers?

Can the pitch block detect a feed from the Looper block now so you can tweak your harmonies hands free?

Has there been any change to what you can control with modifiers?

This new "channels" function. Is it like scenes where only certain settings are saved or is it all settings in the respective block?

I see the pitch block is improved, does this mean better polyphonic tracking for downtuning i.g. Digitech Drop?

Difference between Scenes and Channels? Is the hierarchy preset>scene>channel?

Anything extra in the III over the II for bassists?

Are there more than 2 scene controllers?

Can the pitch block detect a feed from the Looper block now so you can tweak your harmonies hands free?

Has there been any change to what you can control with modifiers?

This new "channels" function. Is it like scenes where only certain settings are saved or is it all settings in the respective block?

I think there are 8 scene controllers. I'll have to check. If not it would be trivial to add more.

Yes, the pitch blocks have their own dedicated detectors now.

You can control almost anything (within reason) with modifiers.

Channels save all settings for a block. A channel is like a preset within a block.

Another cool thing is the Cab block.

IMG_0906_cab.jpg

You can mix up to four IRs each with independent Pan, Distance, Proximity, Smoothing (De-phase). And it has four channels so you can switch between four completely different mixes, instantly.

It was my impression that you were moving away from the mic parameters as they were "baked in" to the IRs. Does mic distance work differently on the AxeFXIII vs the IIs?
-
Austin

Ha. Other companies have been able to do this for years. I think this is the only piece of audio hardware I’ve ever seen without an offline editor, in fact.
I’m sure they will have thought about how to do this properly before finishing the design.
I think it has largely to do with its not really an seperate editor, but a real time GUI controller.

I think there are 8 scene controllers. I'll have to check. If not it would be trivial to add more.

Channels save all settings for a block. A channel is like a preset within a block.
Wow ok this changes EVERYTHING!

What about sequencer and synth block? Any improvement there?

I think it has largely to do with its not really an seperate editor, but a real time GUI controller.
Exactly. We rewrote everything using a client-server approach. You can have any number of clients attached, even multiple editors, and they all update automatically when something changes (even if changed from the front panel). The foot controllers are essentially clients as well.

What about sequencer and synth block? Any improvement there?
Some. The pitch detection is better but otherwise the blocks are the same. Remember it's a lot of work migrating stuff to a new architecture. The III is a brand-new platform. Just as the II had dozens of firmware update the III will receive many updates and there's so much power there that we can improve everything over time.

Exactly. They don’t actually have an Editor anymore for the Axe-FX. (Although they did at first! I know all about the issues, so no need to go there)
There are just lots of different remote controls. I sincerely hope there will be a proper editor for their flagship product.

Exactly. We rewrote everything using a client-server approach. You can have any number of clients attached, even multiple editors, and they all update automatically when something changes (even if changed from the front panel). The foot controllers are essentially clients as well.
So, offline or no?

Back
Top Bottom