So After 3 Years It Comes to This...

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
...I am still learning and find new nuances and tones that are so fun and exciting to find with my Axe-FX.

It boils down to this, really. The Axe-FX is one hell of a fun little noise maker. Past all the 'it is too complicated' and other blather, I can pickup any of my guitars and be literally laughing out loud having fun playing every time I crank up the black box.

And that, frankly, says everything I ever needed to really say about the Axe-FX. It can make you laugh with joy every time you crank up and make your electric guitar make cool noise.

I've owned and leaned on some very cool gear to make fun noise and music during my life as a guitarist. But at some point with most gear, you feel the move to change it up just for the sake of inspiration or searching out new creative possibilities. The Axe-FX has created a reality for me where I just create my own new inspiration and creative possibilities by learning from others or just exploring new things with it.

I read a lot of good, bad and total on target/nonsense about what the Axe-FX is, can be, will be, etc. from all over the Net. But when I sit down, click the on button (and still to this day instinctively wait for it to 'warm up' (holdover from my tube amp days)) and start to play, I often just have to pick up my jaw, even today, in disbelief at the clarity of the top end and hear all the complexity and depth that I've always sought out in any gear I've owned to create the noises I like with an electric guitar.

Enjoying the journey.

Peace.

:)

Hear hear, it's responsible for a lot of tone delight and discoveries indeed. It may cost a lot nominally, but it's a bargain really.

Notwithstanding (what a word) the fact that at times it causes frustration too.

Playing is so much more enjoyable and if I hear a tone that I want to play on, it's not to hard to get it with the Axe. For me it's still the best money spent on guitar gear bar none.

I play triple the amount of time since purchasing my Ultra, the best piece of gear I've purchased so far though i have recently ordered a Custom Suhr guitar so not sure if that will rival the Ultra once i get it in a few months:D

Joe

Arrrrrrrg, just when I had convinced myself I could withstand ordering an Ultra for a few more months :)

I'm a dedicated Shiva owner but have been following this forum for a little while.

The Marsha and Shiva models pretty much pushed me over the edge and then I was able to resist... but I think resistence is futile... I will be assimilated :)

- Richard

Well said, Scott.
I feel the same way when I plug in and play. It's true about wanting to move on to a different sound and with the old gear we had, you were kind of stuck with that sound, not that it was bad but limited. But with the Axe it's just a matter of changing to a different amp/cab on the dial and it's skies the limit. Always fills my needs as a player and I've never regreted my purchase.

The Axe Fx truly sucks, sucks all of great amp tones we've grown to love into it's mighty vortex, and places them at our fingertips. :lol:

5 Years since I first heard about this box at HRI and Nov will be my 4 year anniversay of the well known ORIGINAL list.
Every day there is something new. WELL BEYOND THE PRICE OF ADMISSION FOLKS!!!

AXE-FX ULTRA - You complete me! :p

I am a relative newbie at 1.5 years, and I have NEVER found myself wanting my analog systems back.

While its capable of so much, right now the special point is the clean tones. I am totally in LOVE with my clean tones. So defined, full and complex. I use to only dream about full, clean tones like this.

I've only had mine for a little over a year, but I still giggle like a little school girl every time I turn it on and jam. Basically, there are practically an infinite number of possibilities (more combinations than humanly possible to audition in your lifetime) so there's always a new sound waiting to be discovered.

Standard user for two years, just upgraded to Ultra
a few months back. Once you get good at programming
the tweakablilty is beyond a guitarists imagination.
You almost need to be a studio geek to get the most
from the Ultra.

Many times I have tried to recreate an old classic from memory,
and wound up with an amp that is superior to what I was
aiming for. Unlimited cosmik power!!!

Scott,

You're so right about everything in your "new" review. But, one thing, in particular, stood out to me and I couldn't agree with it more...

One of the greatest "gifts" that we have with this unit is just how much stuff is in there. If you ever get "bored" with what you've been doing, all you have to do is try out an amp sim that you've never played with (or one that you haven't tried in a while). It's like "new amp day" over and over again. Same thing with trying new combinations of stock and custom cabinet IR's. And, this isn't even mentioning all of the things that we can do with all of the effects. Throw in periodic FREE firmware updates from Cliff which usually improve the sounds even more and/or new amps, cabinet sims, and effects thrown in... and you're in heaven again for a while. Furthermore, I'm constantly reading posts by people who suggest things that I would never have thought to try on my own. Usually, I find some new trick that makes me happy all over again. And, it never seems to end. Anyway, good post.

Back
Top Bottom