Quick and easy probability/odds question for the math gurus out there.

seeu22

I'm fairly confident I know the answer to this, so help me settle a bet. There's a bottle of bourbon on the line. Here's the question;

A small rural school has 6 children in grade 2. What are the odds that three of the six children will have the same birthday. The date itself isn't important, just that 3 children have to be born on the same day. Show your work and bonus points if you add the probability of them all being born on a specific date.

Thanks and if you want to fly to Canada, I'll gladly share the bottle with you!

Do you mean odds or probability as they're different things?
probability: 1/365 cubed.

Last edited:
I get the (1/365) cubed, but the first birthday could be any day of the year, it's only the second two that have then have the same date so wouldn't it be (1/365)*2?

You may need to use 365.25 instead and then adjust for Feb.29 if choosing a specific date. Also i am not sure birthdates follow uniform distribution over the year...are fall dates not more prevalent than spring dates?

Oh, you mean the triplets from the Buckley farm?

I'm fairly confident I know the answer to this, so help me settle a bet. There's a bottle of bourbon on the line. Here's the question;

A small rural school has 6 children in grade 2. What are the odds that three of the six children will have the same birthday. The date itself isn't important, just that 3 children have to be born on the same day. Show your work and bonus points if you add the probability of them all being born on a specific date.

Thanks and if you want to fly to Canada, I'll gladly share the bottle with you!

Back
Top Bottom