Pro Tools?

I'm mostly talking about professionally built and maintained HDX studio systems, not someone's homegrown DAW rig.

I also didn't say anything about crashes, nor was I trying to claim ProTools is ((or is not) less stable than other DAWs.

I'm simply saying that it can and does have issues and idiosyncrasies.

In general, I like ProTools but claiming it's problem free is a stretch...

Where exactly did I say that Pro tools is problem free? 😆

You said there has rarely been a PT session where there hasn't been some head scratching in your circles.

You do realize there is a 1500 page manual and 3 levels of Avid pro tools operator certification around it do you not? Or maybe you are just unaware that only Avid approved systems and parts is the first step to achieving more stable operation.

You simply don't understand that pro tools HDX systems are like a Mercedes. Things have to be turned on in the right order, system optimizations have to be in check, and certain other apps should not be open at the same time (such as axe-Edit unless it is integrated into Avid tax architecture). And with that being said, some plugin companies are not keeping up with their Aax patchwork in line with being up to par with this industry standard DAW which programs everything on very deep levels of system architecture. One of the reasons for that is to prevent cracks among many other reasons such as remaining very solid in the quality of its performance when you are doing everything correctly do get it to perform right

there is literally long winder avid certification full of courses so that you become a skilled pro tools operator. It's no different than the way a pilot trains to have reliable operation of the aircraft. You can't just go to some weekend flight school and then expect your flight to be without problems.

You are simply just not aware that you may have not had a fully avid approved machine with all parts in the computer avid-approved. Most studios that have issues, 9 times out of 10 are unaware that that is what it is. That is the only way you will get perfect operation. And you can't have things like graphics cards at the end of their life cycle. Pro tools will be finicky with that kind of stuff.

A Mercedes is also nice to have but can easily glitch and give you all these by the week if you don't do things properly. But its a tank like if operated correctly.
And I would say Avid HDX level is the equivalent of an F35. That can definetly glitch on you if you aren't on point with that level.

That's why you need to realize that Avid, like a Benz, can be both unreliable or it can be ultra reliable. It's more the operator not the technology.

As for FAS's general aversion to avid that I heard from several people here, once it is fully realized by any person that this Avid is and has to maintain itself as absolute industry standard, and what goes into maintaining that, and the fees that are needed to do so, then perhaps they will be seen in a more favorable light and less so as a cash-gouging operation. (And whoever is running the ship at avid these days has been making some very wise decisions lately with going back to perpetual ownership options on release ranges.)

Last edited:
Where exactly did I say that Pro tools is problem free?
You didn't. The person I originally replied to did and then you inserted yourself into the discussion...
You do realize there is a 1500 page manual and 3 levels of Avid pro tools operator certification around it do you not? Or maybe you are just unaware that only Avid approved systems and parts is the first step to achieving more stable operation.
I don't need to worry or care about any of those things when I'm in a professional studio. That job belongs to the engineers.

My studio is not a "homegrown" rig. Thank You.
And yes, its not a stretch, I have not had crash issues. I am very diligent in my setup and plugins.
I also do not have over hundreds of plugins in my installation. This helps alot.

Where exactly did I say that Pro tools is problem free? 😆

You said there has rarely been a PT session where there hasn't been some head scratching in your circles.

You simply don't understand that pro tools HDX systems are like a Mercedes. Things have to be turned on in the right order, system optimizations have to be in check, and certain other apps should not be open at the same time (such as axe-Edit unless it is integrated into Avid tax architecture). And with that being said, some plugin companies are not keeping up with their Aax patchwork in line with being up to par with this industry standard DAW which programs everything on very deep levels of system architecture. One of the reasons for that is to prevent cracks among many other reasons such as remaining very solid in the quality of its performance when you are doing everything correctly do get it to perform right

there is literally long winder avid certification full of courses so that you become a skilled pro tools operator. It's no different than the way a pilot trains to have reliable operation of the aircraft. You can't just go to some weekend flight school and then expect your flight to be without problems.

You are simply just not aware that you may have not had a fully avid approved machine with all parts in the computer avid-approved. Most studios that have issues, 9 times out of 10 are unaware that that is what it is. That is the only way you will get perfect operation. And you can't have things like graphics cards at the end of their life cycle. Pro tools will be finicky with that kind of stuff.

A Mercedes is also nice to have but can easily glitch and give you all these by the week if you don't do things properly. But its a tank like if operated correctly.
And I would say Avid HDX level is the equivalent of an F35. That can definetly glitch on you if you aren't on point with that level.

That's why you need to realize that Avid, like a Benz, can be both unreliable or it can be ultra reliable. It's more the operator not the technology.

As for FAS's general aversion to avid that I heard from several people here, once it is fully realized by any person that this Avid is and has to maintain itself as absolute industry standard, and what goes into maintaining that, and the fees that are needed to do so, then perhaps they will be seen in a more favorable light and less so as a cash-gouging operation. (And whoever is running the ship at avid these days has been making some very wise decisions lately with going back to perpetual ownership options on release ranges.)
Well if I was considering getting involved w PT, which I wasn't, that description of the infrastructure and ecosystem would certainly have dissuaded me. And presenting it as a strength doesn't work for me either.

Different strokes.

Back
Top Bottom