Orange cab by CabIR.eu in a metal track (mixing test)

axifist

Experienced
Hey you guys!

First of all, happy and healthy new year to you all!

Now that many of us are discovering the possibilities of this new cab pack by cabir.eu, I had the plan to keep it simple and only use two single-mic IRs with the SM57 on speaker A in a recording in order to see, how well it cuts through in a mix without any post-processing. So what I have used is the MOST BASIC SETUP I could think of ;) Of course it could sound better WITH post-processing and / or a finetuned IR (e.g. Anand's custom IRs are awesome!) mix done in CabLab, but that's not what this clip is about. So the guitar tracks are neutral, there's only a bit of multiband compression and a limiter in the master bus, that's all.

Until now I think nobody showed you how these IRs work for a metal track, so here's an example! :) By the way, you may (and should!) download the original files to get the full quality!

Alright, here's my song "silent goodbye" with those IRs and my Axe-FX II FW 1.06:

direct link

Ok, now listening to this track I could imagine it's hard for you to tell how the guitars sound by itself. That's why I created a track which switches between the whole mix, the guitars only and everything except the guitars. Here's what this sounds like:

direct link

The editing took almost as long as recording the guitars ;)
Editierung für Silent Goodbye mit den Orange-IRs.png

But it was worth it, I think this is pretty interesting!

Happy listening! :)

Last edited:
Hey, thank you very much guys! :) Yeah well, this is the best song I've written so far. The ideas I currently have in my head are way more ... complex, freaky etc. Hardly playable for me ;)

I have a question to you guys:

This second track, is this a usable way of demonstrating the pure guitar sound and the mix? The only alternative I can think of is to show them separately, but that would make it harder to get a feeling of how it actually works in the mix.

Because if you think this is a good way, then I'll continue to do this with coming recordings!

Wow, this sounds really HUGE axifist! Great track and song composition also! Well Done! :) IMO, it`s all good, just showing the complete mixed track, to listen to, how the guitars fits in the mix .... really ... do not double size you work! Play instead some guitar, create new songs and have fun ;) ... that`s all about at the end! Right?!

Thanks guys! :)

Btw, today is songwriting and recording day for me, who knows what's gonna come out of me ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom