not sure about the new delay mix law

simeon

Axe-Master
briefly updated to 11 before rolling back to 10.12. not enough time to tweak before next gig. bit frustrated by the new delay mix wotsit - i'm going to have to tweak almost every single preset and in many of them, i have delay mix tied to an external controller, so it's a bit of a pain.

i can understand the thinking behind it, but there was already a good method of dealing with this and that was to put the delay in parallel at 100% mix and control the input level. i often run multiple delays in my patches and have some in line and some in parallel.

i don't want to seem like i'm moaning, because the amps sound really great in 11, but man...sometimes even small changes have big repercussions... :(

I agree to a point, I also use delay in parallel with mix set to 100%, controller on the "Level" control, Mute FX IN. Works great with a little tweak to the modifier controls.... Luckily, I only use about 15-20 presets....

yes, i realise that if mix is at 100%, then there's no change, but all the delay blocks i have in line now have a different mix of dry and delay

I put the modifier on Input gain. That way it doesn't change abruptly. what ever I play new won't be affected, but whatever was playing, before I hit the pedal dies gracefully.

yes, i realise there are better ways to do it and if i was building my patches from scratch, i'd use a different method, but every patch that has a delay in line now sounds different. and i have a lot.

I think the new way the delay mix control works is perfect and should also be implemented in the Reverb block as well.

From 0-50% mix, dry is unity gain, wet goes from 0-100% volume.
From 50-100% mix, wet is unity gain, dry goes from 100-0% volume.

It's perfect!

If you're using 100% wet and input gain on the controller (like I do), then there won't be any change whatsoever. If you're hearing differences, then either that's not exactly how you have it set up, or it might be a placebo effect.

Or the one.

Make that two at least... I use delay in series and need to fix the mix in all of those presets. It takes some time but I'm ok with that. Funny thing is that I hate the mix in the reverb but the delay never bothered me. Can this change be made to the reverb block as well?

Reactions: BMH
In FW 11b I was running a serial delay with a modififer to mix from 10% to 23%. Is there any way to calculate what the mix should be set at now to give me the same wet/dry ratio?

Yes, the wet:dry ratios are 10:90 and 23:77, i.e. wet level is 11.1% to 29.9% of the dry level. Take half of those percentages to get the new mix settings: around 5.5% and 15%.

Yes, the wet:dry ratios are 10:90 and 23:77, i.e. wet level is 11.1% to 29.9% of the dry level. Take half of those percentages to get the new mix settings: around 5.5% and 15%.

Funny thing I readjusted to 5% and 14% by ear before I saw this post so this is accurate

Reactions: LVC
The new way operates in a manner in which a lot of people (me included) wish other popular delays functioned. It's a great innovation in my book.

I've been struggling with the Delay in the Ultra, Axe FXII and before that the TC G-Force for years. The Delays always sounded good but I was never able to dial in the Delay Mix (Series or Parallel) and be totally happy with it. It's hard to explain but they never sounded as good as let's say the Edge's until now.... Finally they sound amazing and are so easy to Dial in.

I still use parallel because that's how I like to roll and I'm one of those "no reverb in my delay/no delay in my reverb" but to me, this is a really helpful thing for guys that run in a serial routing.

Simeon is a very sophisticated preset creator and has specific needs; it sucks he has to rethink his setup. But I also do agree that for the vast majority of players this is a huge positive.

Back
Top Bottom