New FM9 User Woes - Please help

brazenkane

Hey All!

I bought the FM9 for my wifey. We are both pro-players. When we run the FM9 through the UA Apollo with either the 1/4" or the XLRs the sound is just "weird"/out of phase complete with a 20ms (or less) delay. You know, the kinda thing that sounds like there are 2 monitoring sources playing back simultaneously!? We turned off all modulation (if it's in the patch), turned off verb, delay, etc. and it still sounds like that. Conversely, if we go XLR straight into the ADAM monitors, it sounds great. WTF?!

Any suggestions would be so appreciated!

Have you checked all settings in your DAW? Input latency, etc. as Cliff mentioned are you double monitoring? Disconnect usb from the FM9 and try it that way.

I will try to unplug it and see what happens. I’m pretty certain that one should be able to keep it plugged in in order to be able to program sounds. What would you recommend in terms latency settings?(pro tools). I’m not a PT guy so I’m not sure how to check if I am double monitoring?

Hey All!

I bought the FM9 for my wifey. We are both pro-players. When we run the FM9 through the UA Apollo with either the 1/4" or the XLRs the sound is just "weird"/out of phase complete with a 20ms (or less) delay. You know, the kinda thing that sounds like there are 2 monitoring sources playing back simultaneously!? We turned off all modulation (if it's in the patch), turned off verb, delay, etc. and it still sounds like that. Conversely, if we go XLR straight into the ADAM monitors, it sounds great. WTF?!

Any suggestions would be so appreciated!

I've had this when I've got direct monitoring on and monitoring on in my DAW. You end up with two signals, the one through the DAW being slightly delayed. Without more details on your setup it's hard to know for sure what's wrong.

A friend of mine who is player told me to make sure that I had “low latency“ clicked on ProTools preferences. I did, and then I updated the firmware from the UA. After that, everything seem to be fine. I wanna thank everybody who answered this thread it was absolutely maddening that is great to be done with that and now it’s the deep dive into the abyss.

A friend of mine who is player told me to make sure that I had “low latency“ clicked on ProTools preferences. I did, and then I updated the firmware from the UA. After that, everything seem to be fine. I wanna thank everybody who answered this thread it was absolutely maddening that is great to be done with that and now it’s the deep dive into the abyss.

Yes, using the (poorly named :) ) "Low Latency Mode" is how you globally disable input monitoring in PT. There are more selective ways to do it, but if you're only recording a direct monitored Axe-FX, that will get the job done.

Yes, using the (poorly named :) ) "Low Latency Mode" is how you globally disable input monitoring in PT. There are more selective ways to do it, but if you're only recording a direct monitored Axe-FX, that will get the job done.
! I was looking and looking and looking for something that had to do with the monitoring only to find out that it was called "low latency mode." Yeah I am a Logic guy so what do you expect! Thanks again for your help…

! I was looking and looking and looking for something that had to do with the monitoring only to find out that it was called "low latency mode." Yeah I am a Logic guy so what do you expect! Thanks again for your help…

Just in case you find yourself needing to do the same thing in Logic, the analogous preference in Logic is called "Software Monitoring", which is a more sensible name :). Turn that off to turn off input monitoring.

Just in case you find yourself needing to do the same thing in Logic, the analogous preference in Logic is called "Software Monitoring", which is a more sensible name :). Turn that off to turn off input monitoring.
100%! AND loe and behold.... a title that actually makes sense ;-)

Back
Top Bottom