How to connect Fm3 to macbook air M2?

SamRyanSound

I've looked over the forums and other videos a bunch to try and find the answer to this but I can't seem to find it. The manual said to connect from the USB "B" (square) port into the computer. The problem I have is my macbook air only has USB "C" (oval) ports. I tried using the USB "B" port then pluging the opposite end (usb "A" rectangle) into my apple dongle that converts it into USB "C" and pluging that in but it doesn't pick it up at all. I tried using the USB "A" port too but that doesn't work. The only port that shows up is /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port. It tries to connect to it but can't communicate.

I've looked over the forums and other videos a bunch to try and find the answer to this but I can't seem to find it. The manual said to connect from the USB "B" (square) port into the computer. The problem I have is my macbook air only has USB "C" (oval) ports. I tried using the USB "B" port then pluging the opposite end (usb "A" rectangle) into my apple dongle that converts it into USB "C" and pluging that in but it doesn't pick it up at all. I tried using the USB "A" port too but that doesn't work. The only port that shows up is /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port. It tries to connect to it but can't communicate.
See the troubleshooting USB section of the USB page on the wiki: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB

Plug the adapter in first.

Instead of apple’s overpriced adapters I just use an Anker USB-C dock so I connect a single cable to my MBP or PC and all my peripherals work with no cable clutter.

Yeah, that "A" port on the FM3 is not going to be relevant. What adapter are you using? And I wonder how you are testing the connection. Have you set up audio connections to a Mac before? And it looks like @strabes just responded with the troubleshooting guide, so I'll bow out... Good luck!

I use a Macbook pro M1. That laptop has only usb C ports as well. I just use a simple USB B to A cable + a single USB A to C adapter. That works with no issues here.

I have this same problem and still have. I have to use one of my old macbooks that has inbuilt usb A. Have you found any solutions? All the help I got even from fractal themselves dont seem to work. Quite surprise why there arent more ppl having this issue.

I have this same problem and still have. I have to use one of my old macbooks that has inbuilt usb A. Have you found any solutions? All the help I got even from fractal themselves dont seem to work. Quite surprise why there arent more ppl having this issue.
You need a A to C adaptor or a cable that is B to C.

You need a A to C adaptor or a cable that is B to C.
I have tried that. Doesnt work. Just doesnt recognise the FM3

Works for me and many others. How are you determining it’s not working or it doesn’t see it? Have you tried going to Preferences in Edit and changing the communication port?

Does the Fractal Bot program recognize it on the newer computer?

Hey, I ended up getting a dock for my MacBook air. What I had to do is use the USB B and A ports. That worked for me, even though the manual doesn't say that the USB B makes a difference, mine doesn't work without it. I'm using a VVB dock using a USB B to USB A cable and a USB C to USB B cable, hope that's not too confusing haha.

Works for me and many others. How are you determining it’s not working or it doesn’t see it? Have you tried going to Preferences in Edit and changing the communication port?

Does the Fractal Bot program recognize it on the newer computer?
Thanks for taking the time to help. I tried but still doesnt work. Essentially the USB device is not recognised in both FM3 Edit and Fractal bot. I have even tried a USB B to USB C cable but doesnt work. Anyways any new ideas please do share. Really appreciate everyones help so far

Thanks for taking the time to help. I tried but still doesnt work. Essentially the USB device is not recognised in both FM3 Edit and Fractal bot. I have even tried a USB B to USB C cable but doesnt work. Anyways any new ideas please do share. Really appreciate everyones help so far
it's hard to find other ideas because this is physically how you connect them. i've been using Fractal with Mac computers since the beginning and it always communicates.

if you're familiar with Mac OS, perhaps create a new Mac user account (you can always delete it later) and just install FM3 edit. connect with the USB. does it work?

So just to confirm, you're taking what is basically a USB cable traditionally used with a printer, putting the printer side of it into the FM3, and the other end into the computer with the assistance of an adapter on the computer end? Or you have a genuine USB-B (printer end) to USB-C (oval end)... and it wasn't one that your grabbed from some cheap Amazon product that included it as a charging-only cable? It's a true, fully-pinned USB-B to USB-C cable? If that's the case, then try seeing if the Mac sees the unit on the other end via the  menu > About This Mac > More Info... > (scroll to bottom) > System Report > USB (in the left column.) Go here, and see if you see the FM3. Try both ports. If you don't see the FM3, then either it's a bad cable, a bad adapter, or you have something wrong with your USB bus on the machine, and hopefully have AppleCare.

Hope this helps put the compass in the right direction. Best of luck!

I plug a really old printer cable into a USB KVM/monitor switch/hub or a really cheap 2 for $5 Amazon USB C to A adapter. No problem with my new(ish) M1 pro MacBook. Had some usb C to micro adapters for other devices that didn't work but was always the cable.

An M2 couldn't be so polluted that a reinstall would be necessary, could it? It would need to really be abused for that. Maybe remove and reinstall the Fractal apps? You can also renew/reinstall the entire MacOS without removing anything nowadays. All apps and data stay where they are. Reinvigorated an old MacBook that way. But as I wrote I can't see an M2 getting that polluted so quickly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom