Gibson Les Paul Custom - Talk me into or out of buying

I mean, I couldn't care less what brand of guitar someone chooses to buy, but to not own an LP just because the headstock might break or crack or whatever is just ridiculous to me. Do they break sometimes?...Yes, but I've been playing them for 35 years and never had an issue. YMMV

Rock On !

I bought the Collings in my sig after shopping for an LP and failing, no regrets, love it.

B u t, I've considered an SE DGT, because way less money, but nobody has one to try.
For whatever it is worth, I have 3 Warmoth builds with Fralin pickups and when I ordered an SE DGT it sounded so bad to me, and to my wife from upstairs, that I literally packed it up for returning within 10 minutes. The build quality was good, the sound was terrible.
I think now I am seriously considering the 2024 S2 McCarty 594. I imagine it won't be discounted yet, but it looks like a great compromise in terms of price and quality.

I bought the Collings in my sig after shopping for an LP and failing, no regrets, love it.

B u t, I've considered an SE DGT, because way less money, but nobody has one to try.
Collings is just on whole another level and way over my budget. Your guitar is quite a looker!

Yeah, mine was literally 4x what I've paid for a guitar ever in my life -- used, and still was less than a lot of high end Gibsons. A lot less.
Just checked SW, a new "Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue Murphy Lab Brazilian Electric Guitar" is $20k! Greenie's the same.

I wasn't even talking about that shit.

For whatever it is worth, I have 3 Warmoth builds with Fralin pickups and when I ordered an SE DGT it sounded so bad to me, and to my wife from upstairs, that I literally packed it up for returning within 10 minutes. The build quality was good, the sound was terrible.
I think now I am seriously considering the 2024 S2 McCarty 594. I imagine it won't be discounted yet, but it looks like a great compromise in terms of price and quality.
PRS makes good looking furniture

If you are expecting it to sound like an LP, I suggest not to buy it.. They don't. They sound polite and refined and lack the RAWWK that you can get from an LP. Otherwise they are nice guitars, tho you can get used core guitars near the price of S2..

So since I was a teenager I’ve wanted a black Gibson Les Paul Custom, the legendary “Black Beauty”. I have the chance to purchase a brand new one and would like thoughts/opinions from those who have owned or currently own one. What’s Gibson’s quality control like currently? I’ve heard some horror stories the last few years but not so much lately. Also, what are thoughts on the current necks? Anyone have any issues with stickiness? I have had issues before with the glossy finishes on Gibson necks that are sticky. What about the 490/498 pickups? Of course I can swap them if I don’t like them but was wondering what everyone’s opinions are on the stock set? Are the 68 Reissue Customs worth the extra $$$$? Let me know your thoughts.
I played a bunch of Les Pauls a while back when I was looking for mine. I ended up with an Epiphone Standard 60s.

Even though it was way out of budget, I did play a 2022 Gibson LP Custom just for kicks.

The quality was excellent, even on par with PRS. The non-custom Gibsons I played were great as well. No issues. The QC issues Gibson had in the past, aren't there anymore. At least, not on any of the newer guitars I've played.

I enjoyed the neck, and had no issues with it. It's a different profile than other guitars. Feels more "flat", but not in a bad way. No stickiness on the one I played.

The 490/498 pickups aren't anything to write home about. The neck pickup is pretty dark and the bridge pickup can be rather harsh, but they're alright. I'd expect better pickups for the price of a Gibson Custom model, though.

Anyway, it's up to you if the Gibson name is worth the $4700 price difference. For less than the price of the Gibson, you could get the Epihone version and upgrade the hardware/pickups/etc. But again, both are excellent guitars, and it's about what you want in the end.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom