Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Bender Fuzz (based on Sola Sound/Vox Tone Bender)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The contents of this thread, including updates, are available as a PDF Guide. Download it here.

TB.png

Bender Fuzz (based on: Sola Sound/Vox Tone Bender)

For a long time I didn’t understand why people love fuzz and why fuzz boxes still are popular. Why would any player make his or her guitar sound “bad”, deliberately? I was such a fool and came to my senses: fuzz is great!

Fuzz was one of the first “transistorized” guitar effects. Transistors amplify the signal and when they clip, distortion is generated. When the clipping is hard instead of gradual, the distortion is harsh and buzzy, named “fuzz”. The tone of fuzz depends greatly on the type of transistor used: germanium, silicon etc. (available as Clip Types in the Drive block). Common opinion is that germanium transistors sound warmer/rounder, while silicon ones have more gain and are harsher.

If you want to read more about the origin of fuzz and guitar effects in general, I recommend Analog Man’s Guide to Vintage Effects, written by Tom Hughes (For Musicians Only), a joy to read.​

The USA-made Maestro (Fractal Audio’s “Master” Drive model) was the first fuzz pedal. It became famous after being used in Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones.

Back then the idea behind fuzz boxes was not only to approach the sound of a cranked amp (many vintage non-master amps sound like a fuzz when cranked: try the Brit JM45 model with Drive at 10), but also to emulate instruments like violin, cello and organ. While the latter is open to discussion, fuzz pedals never disappeared.

In real life fuzz pedals can pose players for challenges:
  • Germanium transistors are unreliable. The later silicon ones are more consistent but many players prefer the sound of germanium.
  • Many fuzzes rely heavily on a direct connection to the guitar’s pickups. Put a buffered pedal or a Wah inbetween and you’ll often lose your beloved fuzz tone.
  • Guitar pickups and the guitar’s volume also matter. Which is the beauty of fuzz.
This is important to us too:

Cliff:
"The Fuzz in the Axe-Fx reacts as though there is a buffer in front of it (because there is). It's a limitation inherent to all modeling products. I modeled it using a nominal source resistance. I forget what I used for the source resistance but it was probably around 100K ohms. To really simulate it you would need a controller to simulate the changing output impedance of the guitar.”

So here you have it, the introduction to the almighty Tone Bender from the 60s, made by Macari’s/Sola Sound (UK). The Tone Bender name was used for their range of fuzzes, which they also licenced to JMI (Vox Tone Bender). Sola Sound later designed the Colorsound range of effects, including famous wah pedals (also modeled by Fractal Audio).

The Tone Bender was used by Jimmy Page in Whole Lotta Love. As demonstrated in the documentary It Might Get Loud (video below). Other famous users include Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck.

According to Wikipedia the first Tone Bender had 3 transistors, based on the Maestro. The 2nd edition, later named “MK1.5”, had 2 transistors, essentially a negative feedback amplifier. The Arbiter Fuzz Face and Vox/JMI Tone Bender were based on it. The Professional MKII version again contained 3 transistors, basically a MK1.5 with an additional amplifier gain stage. It's probably the most popular and most-copied design and was rebadged by Marshall as the Supa Fuzz. The MKIII had an additional Tone control, followed by the MKIV.

Lots of clones and replicas were made. D*A*M Stompboxes in the UK builds authorized authentic reissues for Macari’s, see post #2.

Macari’s:
The Tone Bender MKI.5 is said to be the first circuit type used in any Sola Sound sand cast enclosure and the only Tone Bender made with two germanium transistors. So sonically what can you expect? The tone is a little heavier and denser when compared to that of the Professional MKII. Has some of that beefy woolliness of a good germanium Fuzz Face but still has enough cut and shove to not completely loose it in the mix. The saturation levels are lower too so works pretty neat for driving a big ballsy amplifier over the edge but never to the extent that things completely fall apart.”

"Some would say that it all about the place it holds in the world of rock’n’roll. When I demo a MKII in the shop these days I am still blown away by the sound – for me it is the epitome of great guitar tone – loads of headroom, warm fat crunch through to aggressive rock tones suitable for downtuning, then back off your volume and there are all those huge blues tones. That’s today... what it must have been like back in 1964 I can only imagine – It must have been like a spaceship landing – most people walking into Macaris back then would have only heard a fuzzbox on record – this pedal played through an old Marshall or Selmer or Vox – well, for a guitarist, it must have been life changing."

Article in Premier Guitar

Tone Bender Time Line

While it’s unclear which Tone Bender circuit has been modeled by Fractal Audio, it doesn’t matter much because it sounds just great. While Tone Benders used germanium transistors, Clip Type in Fractal Audio’s corresponding Bender model is set to "Hard", representing the circuit's hard clipping.

The Tone Bender MK1.5 and MKII are simple pedals with just two knobs:
  • Level: controls the output level (model: Level control)
  • Attack: sets the amount of fuzz (model: Drive control).
The Bender model is versatile. It can be used with a clean amp, where it will sound bright and sharp. Or with a cranked amp with lots of power amp distortion (Fender, Plexi etc.) where it performs at its best IMHO, capable of filling the room and flooring the audience, making modern high-gain amps sheepishly hide in a corner. It can even be used with amps with considerable preamp gain.

Of course the Drive block allows us to adjust far more things: Slew, Mix, Low Cut, High Cut and other parameters are available to us. Bias in particular is a lot of fun to experiment with. But that's beyond the scope of this thread (see manual and wiki).

When the Bender is providing considerable fuzz, notes on the low E-string can get real spitty, indicating some kind of impending implosion. Nothing to worry about, that's fuzz. But if you want to change this, there’s an easy trick: first turn up Level a lot, then dial in Drive as desired, instead of the other way around.

Personal note
Many of my presets have a two Drive blocks. The 2nd Drive block is set to Bender and Face Fuzz (X/Y). I prefer the Bender model for chordal work, on top of a clean or dirty Fender-ish amp model. I rely on it when playing The Black Keys, Editors, U2, White Stripes, QOTSA etc., with Drive just beneath 3 and Level at 7 or higher. Works with humbucker and single coils.

About CPU:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The Bender requires a moderate amount.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
More:

D*A*M Stompboxes:
“The first commercially made fuzz box to hit the UK market was the golden coloured, wedge shaped; three transistorised Gary Hurst designed Tone Bender. The Tone Bender was released in September 1965 and sold for 14 guineas, approximately £185 in today’s worth. The Tone Bender was a big hit and quickly drew big name players to a growing rank of users. The Yardbirds, The Who, The Pretty Things, The Merseybeats, The Ivy League and a rather popular band from Liverpool called the Beatles were among users of the Tone Bender. Guitar player with a Hull based band called the Rats also used this original Tone Bender as his primary fuzz sound for many years. This Guitar player was Mick Ronson who as we know went on to play lead guitar along side a certain David Bowie. This first incarnation of the Tone Bender was only made for a relativity short time period before the design of the pedal was significantly changed.

Following the success of this first Tone Bender, which we will refer to as the MKI, it was clear that the design of the pedal needed to be geared towards being a more readily produced item. Early in 1966 a new improved Tone Bender arrived on the scene, this version of the Tone Bender has become known as the MKI.5. This new design was much more modern & futuristic in appearance and was also more ergonomic in its aesthetics, more space ship like in appearance than the tank like appearance of the MKI. The new improved Tone Bender enclosure was manufactured using a sand casting process and was finished in a silver/grey hammertone paint. The new Tone Bender was, like its predecessor, named only as a 'Tone Bender'. The silk screening on the enclosure only featured the pedals name; the labelling for the controls and the input & output sockets, no company information was featured.

The internal construction style of the MKI.5 is of the same style that followed through into the build technique of the MKII’s. The MKI.5 utilised isolated jack sockets as to avoid ground loops, a feature used on all Tone Benders and most other quality British made effect pedals from the 1960’s. A technique unfortunately that is seldom used today. All the early Tone Benders, right up too the introduction of the MKIII, also relied heavily on the use of shielded cabling throughout. Again a very good construction technique and yet again little seen in use today. Interesting side note, true bypass switching that is often seen as a modern feature to 'boutique' builders was actually first seen used in the Tone Bender MKI.

The earliest MKI.5 Tone Bender I seen featured two IMPEX S3-1T Germanium transistors. Possibly have been prototype unit? Commonly the MKI.5 along with a large percentage of MKII Tone Benders used the British made Mullard OC75’s. The two transistor arrangement of this type of circuit is called a voltage feedback biasing circuit. Interestingly, several fuzz boxes that first made their appearance in the year 1966 used this very same set-up. The Arbiter Fuzz Face, the Vox Tone Bender, Vox Distortion Booster and the Sola Sound made Tone Bender MKI.5. Possibly a happy coincidence? but more likely inspired by the popularity of the originator.”

Yek, one word normally overused fits perfect here .....AWESOME ...

Put your Paypal account in your signature ;)

I have never used this drive block before but now that I know that Jimmy Page used it, I am definitely going to try it out. Also, that clip from "It Might Get Loud" is so wonderful. It must have been quite a moment for Jack White and Edge to watch the man himself play "Whole Lotta Love." Not many people can say they've seen that nowadays.

Thanks for the excellent write up Yek!

The Tone Bender MK1.5 and MKII are simple pedals with just two knobs:
  • Level: controls the output level (model: Level control)
  • Attack: sets the amount of fuzz (model: Drive control).

Thank you so much for providing this knob/model matching, it will be very helpful for future pedals!

Funny, from that third video I really liked the first one he played - Mark 1 - which has the least Fuzz Face design of all of them.

One of my favorites to use for bass in front of Div/13 CJ dialed in for clean or edge of breakup. Instant industrial bass or Sly & the Family Stone type fuzz bass.

Thank you for this lesson, Yek.
Until today I avoid fuzz boxes, the sound is just, meh, not for me. Except when I dialled in the Bender Fuzz with very low drive, I thought, well, doesn´t sound so bad. But I never put effort into it because it was, well, a fuzz. I will give it another try after this read up. Someone cares to recommend settings and amp combis for a nice low gain sound that is not to "fuzzy"?

Thank you for this lesson, Yek.
Until today I avoid fuzz boxes, the sound is just, meh, not for me. Except when I dialled in the Bender Fuzz with very low drive, I thought, well, doesn´t sound so bad. But I never put effort into it because it was, well, a fuzz. I will give it another try after this read up. Someone cares to recommend settings and amp combis for a nice low gain sound that is not to "fuzzy"?
High level, low drive, then play with EQ

I think, tweaking with an EQ is an art of its own.
Totally agreed. I've read some interesting tactics on this forum, namely to use EQ to "equalise" the power of each of the strings: balance a double-stop (two notes simultaneously on neighbouring strings) on the E & A with bass, D & G with mids, and B & E with treble.

I've heard that used to EQ amps rather than drives, but it's still an interesting example of lateral thinking when approaching EQ :)

Back
Top Bottom