FM9 --> FM3 Preset "Empty"

rgomes

Hello!
I am having issues importing Presets created on an FM9 into my FM3. A friend of mine had sent me about a dozen and I had imported about 5 of them and they imported perfectly. I tried to import the remaining ones about a week ago and they wouldn't import. They remain blank and will not save.
Someone alluded to it being an issue with the latest firmware.
The FM9 was running FW 5.01 and my FM3 is 7.00
Any help?
Robert

Someone alluded to it being an issue with the latest firmware.
The FM9 was running FW 5.01 and my FM3 is 7.00
That's very possible. Firmware between the different units can have different capabilities as the developers implement features that Cliff put into the FX3 version of that firmware. And, each firmware touches the preset to mark it as having been seen so it doesn't needlessly do little fix-ups as defaults change.

When we move a preset from one unit to another, if that firmware sees that something newer than it touched the preset then it won't display it because the odds are good it won't understand new features and could even corrupt or break the preset if it misinterpreted a new parameter.

As the developers implement everything there'll be a point where the firmwares are able to understand what the others are doing and the preset should then be visible again.

I run into the problem often because of testing (and needlessly pushing boundaries) and learned to make backups every time before and after I load new firmware, not just when I make changes to presets. I can revert quickly to different firmware and presets that work with it if necessary.

PS - the firmware version is not the tell-all for whether a particular modeler's firmware is ahead of or behind another modeler, because of when the units were released into the product line. The FX3 was first, followed by the FM3, and then, age-wise, the FM9 is the baby of the bunch. So the values reflect the number of revisions they've had, along with when major features were implemented, but not in comparison to the other siblings, only in that particular modeler's timeline.

PPS - I didn't check the current revisions of the FM* modeler's firmware, but they should currently be able to "see" each other's presets, so confirm that both are running their latest versions.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Anything we can do now to help fix the problem?
That's very possible. Firmware between the different units can have different capabilities as the developers implement features that Cliff put into the FX3 version of that firmware. And, each firmware touches the preset to mark it as having been seen so it doesn't needlessly do little fix-ups as defaults change.

When we move a preset from one unit to another, if that firmware sees that something newer than it touched the preset then it won't display it because the odds are good it won't understand new features and could even corrupt or break the preset if it misinterpreted a new parameter.

As the developers implement everything there'll be a point where the firmwares are able to understand what the others are doing and the preset should then be visible again.

I run into the problem often because of testing (and needlessly pushing boundaries) and learned to make backups every time before and after I load new firmware, not just when I make changes to presets. I can revert quickly to different firmware and presets that work with it if necessary.

PS - the firmware version is not the tell-all for whether a particular modeler's firmware is ahead of or behind another modeler, because of when the units were released into the product line. The FX3 was first, followed by the FM3, and then, age-wise, the FM9 is the baby of the bunch. So the values reflect the number of revisions they've had, along with when major features were implemented, but not in comparison to the other siblings, only in that particular modeler's timeline.

PPS - I didn't check the current revisions of the FM* modeler's firmware, but they should currently be able to "see" each other's presets, so confirm that both are running their latest versions.

Im having the same problem since the last fm3 edit update.

And the preset itself it's something very basic (single amp, delay reverb), and before the the last update it would load up. But now it shows empty.

How can i downgrade to the previosu fm3 edit?

Yes, based on of the Gift of Tone threads there seems to be some issue with the latest FM3-Edit version when importing.

If you can't see the preset then Edit isn't the problem. Edit is told what's visible by the firmware. It might not understand parameters or settings but the preset should be visible.
I'm pretty sure this is exactly the symptom as mentioned in my previous post.

I'll try to find the thread.

Back
Top Bottom