FM3 not showing in FM3-Edit but connected

IronSean

Power User
My FM3 shows up in the audio device control panel
1707267109191.png
But in FM3-Edit it's not showing as connected. Under preferences it looks like this:
1707267177734.png

But the FM3 doesn't actually show up as a valid port under In/Out, only when hitting Use Default Port:
1707267205783.png

Since it's connecting properly, this should eliminate USB cable issues, so what could be causing the issues on FM3-Edit's side?

Do you also have Fractal-Bot running? The FM3 can only talk to one app at a time.

Ah, that might be my misunderstanding. I installed the drivers then saw something properly detecting and displaying the FM3 when it was connected, so I assumed that meant the drivers were fully working. I'll need to test further.

Fractal stuff is amazing.
That said, cheap cables or questionable cables that might kinda work on other things might not work here. That's been the overall experience around here. Try different cables. It might be a USB-B thing in general. They're great for printers but maybe not this kinda of application anymore.

Before that, though, on the computer side try moving around to different USB A ports. If that solved the problem, go into Device Manager (assuming you're using a Windows PC) and turn off the power saving options for anything with USB Hub in the name. Your computer may very well have turned off the USB port you're trying to use to save half an amp.

Also, look in your system sound devices and see if the FM3 shows up there as an available device.

Lastly, try a different computer if you have one available.

The FM3 has been the most problematic device I've owned in terms of USB connectivity. It will be working fine and then nothing. Frustrates me to no end, nothing logical solves it, i.e. swapping cables. I've owned HX series and Atomic stuff along with an AX8 and nothing else has even come close the USB gremlins my FM3 has.

Fractal stuff is amazing.
That said, cheap cables or questionable cables that might kinda work on other things might not work here. That's been the overall experience around here. Try different cables. It might be a USB-B thing in general. They're great for printers but maybe not this kinda of application anymore.

Before that, though, on the computer side try moving around to different USB A ports. If that solved the problem, go into Device Manager (assuming you're using a Windows PC) and turn off the power saving options for anything with USB Hub in the name. Your computer may very well have turned off the USB port you're trying to use to save half an amp.

Also, look in your system sound devices and see if the FM3 shows up there as an available device.

Lastly, try a different computer if you have one available.
Thanks, but in the post just above yours I tracked down the issue and it was that the USB Serial driver was not installed, just the USB Audio driver. After istalling the Serial driver it's working as expected now. Didn't even need a reboot.

Back
Top Bottom