First rehearsal with the axe

gdgross

Experienced
Brought it to my church gig the other night. This would be the first time I've used it in a band context, before it's just been in my studio by myself, or showing it off to someone else. Guitar straight into the axe, monitored through some EAW floor monitor. (I also have a powered RH monitor at home, but it's heavy and one of the goals for the axe with me is to carry less stuff to rehearsals and gigs, so I didn't bring it.)

There were a couple of salsa tunes, a more "normal" modern worship tune, and an older worship tune that we funkifized a little bit. Lester straight into the axe front input.

Overall my I was pretty happy with my tone. On the salsa tunes, I went for the Santana thing (what's a guitarist to do without a tres, anyway?? pick up a pair of claves, maybe...) using the stock "early carlos" and "smooth" patches. They sounded good, but I felt that the gain was too high, so I tweaked a bit during the rehearsal.

Stuck on a fairly generic AC30-ish patch for the other two tunes, and it sounded pretty good through my monitor. When I get most of my patches set, I'll have to go through them all and set the volumes so they're roughly the same; I noticed a lot of variation last night. I'm also waiting for a rocktron all access I just bought on ebay so I can actually change stuff on the fly - I can't really get heavy into using this thing live until I've got that nailed down.

Promising night, though, all told. I like the idea of showing up with only a four space rack, guitar(s) and a pedalboard, and being able to cover sonic ground that my other rig can only dream of.

Scott Peterson said:
I'd bet a few more hours to dial it in and a foot controller and you'll be a lot happier.
Yeah, I just bought an all access on ebay. Looking forward to getting it.
And you're right, a little tweaking would help out, but all in all pretty good for a first rehearsal with a completely different paradigm that what I'm used to.

Back
Top Bottom