dumb question - any "fix" for the loud pop you get when powering on/off?

At home I use Humbusters with zero thump on power up or down. At gigs, I use XLR also with no thump. Maybe it has to do with the state of the ground lift switch.
@Rex,
There may be something in my future which might require humbuster cables. Can humbusters be ordered to length for FRFR or FOH speakers which accommodates TRS I/Os?

EDIT: Just checked the FAS sales page; humbusters are available in 15 and 30 foot lengths.

At home I use Humbusters with zero thump on power up or down. At gigs, I use XLR also with no thump. Maybe it has to do with the state of the ground lift switch.
Mine is in the default position. I've never touched it, on any of my Fractal devices...

Slightly confused. Aren't humbuster cables supposed to be TRS throughout? Your quick keyboard fingers say otherwise...
Nope. But they can look like TRS cables "throughout" if making one's own. See edit to my comment above. The cable is [the kind used for making] balanced [cables]. The plug at one end is TS [and therefore the Humbuster can't be accurately described as balanced.]

Last edited:
Nope. But they can look like TRS cables "throughout" if making one's own. See edit to my comment above. The cable is balanced. The plug at one end is TS
BTPA kindly pre-labels theirs with “OUTPUT” next to the TRS plug.
You might wish to check your definition of "balanced" regards TS. Unless this is something entirely new and unheard of before, "balanced" usually means XLR or TRS. But, I've been wrong before. The problem is that the BTPA.com page does not describe beyond saying that the cable is humbuster.

Greg, how might one connect your FM9 to FRFRs with XLR/TRS connectors if not using XLR cable so as to avoid audio "pop" when powering up/down?

You might wish to check your definition of "balanced" regards TS. Unless this is something entirely new and unheard of before, "balanced" usually means XLR or TRS. But, I've been wrong before. The problem is that the BTPA.com page does not describe beyond saying that the cable is humbuster.

[...]
A quick check of the Fractal store will reveal that Humbuster cable features a Tip Sleeve connector at one end. It uses cable traditionally used for balanced connections, but it is not accurately described as balanced. It's Humbuster, FAS proprietary.
1712165765268.png

edit: The whole Humbuster discussion is a bit of derail from the discussion of experiences of popping more or less experienced by different folks, but hey, now you know. I'd guess that pulling an XLR is likely less noisy than a TRS connector... Did we already get into effect of phantom power on the line?

And from BTPA's site...
1712169279113.png

Last edited:
You might wish to check your definition of "balanced" regards TS. Unless this is something entirely new and unheard of before, "balanced" usually means XLR or TRS.
Balanced requires two conductors and a shield, so XLR or TRS fit the bill.

A TS can't be balanced. A Humbuster cable isn't balanced, but it's playing a trick using a special circuit and the three conductor cable to sense noise being picked up by the wiring. The signal travels the cable from the ring, then returns to the modeler from the TS end via the shield to the circuit in the modeler which cancels the noise, so effectively the entire length of the cable is being monitored. What happens once the audio signal gets to the far end is up to that unit, but it won't be seeing a balanced signal.

The problem is that the BTPA.com page does not describe beyond saying that the cable is humbuster.
There's nothing else that really needs to be said, since "Humbuster" specifies how the cable is wired. BTW, BTPA is a member of the forum so feel free to ask them directly.

As far as popping, I think it's partly dependent on the speakers and how they get their amplified signal. Some are smart and monitor the connection and drop their volume when they see no signal; I had some studio monitors years ago that did that nicely. A power-amp connected to a guitar cab or unpowered speakers is less likely to have that sort of circuit so pops are more likely to happen.

When I've been in the situation where I had to restart the modeler I immediately told FOH who turned off my feed, then I turned off my monitor, rebooted, powered on the monitor and FOH brought it back up when they saw I was ready.

We have to know our equipment but "merde" can happen on stage, and it's good to think about how to react to it before it does. I've seen many times when a pro-act had a technical failure on stage, and someone in the band started talking to the audience, explained there was a problem that they're working on, kept the audience engaged until it was fixed, then they restarted the song. That's an important part of being on stage, don't freak out, get it solved and keep the audience happy.

PS - All three unit's manuals state the modelers have pop-suppression, but also caution that it's still good to turn down or mute connected devices when powering on/off. For instance, from the FM9 manual:
The power receptacle has an integrated Power Switch which turns the power on or off. The FM9 features pop suppression, but it is still advisable to turn down or mute connected devices when powering on or off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom