Can you move multiple presets all at once in FM3 Edit manage presets?

dual lead

Is there a way to move multiple presets all at once? I have deleted a bunch of presets and trying to move a group of 4 or 5 or more presets down a few slots into the empty slots. I'm doing this in many locations. It seems like if I highlight a group of presets, it only wants to swap the first one with the empty slot or I have to move them 1 at a time. I am using FM3 Edit and using Manage Presets.

There's an option for multi-select in there... It is possible but I haven't done it in a while so I can't give you better details.

Well I figured it out. You need to have enough Empty slots to move your block of presets. Click on the first preset you want to move and hold down Shift on your keyboard and click on the last preset to move, for example a block of 5 presets. Then drag the block of presets to the first Empty slot that has at least 5 empty slots for the block of 5 presets that you are moving in this example. Do this as many times as you want. When you are done click Save and wait for FM3 Edit to update your FM3. You can always press Esc or Close and not save the changes you made if you made a mistake. Oh and to free up enough empty slots, I had to individually move some presets to the empty slot before there was a enough slots to move larger blocks of presets if that makes sense.

Well I figured it out. You need to have enough Empty slots to move your block of presets. Click on the first preset you want to move and hold down Shift on your keyboard and click on the last preset to move, for example a block of 5 presets. Then drag the block of presets to the first Empty slot that has at least 5 empty slots for the block of 5 presets that you are moving in this example. Do this as many times as you want. When you are done click Save and wait for FM3 Edit to update your FM3. You can always press Esc or Close and not save the changes you made if you made a mistake. Oh and to free up enough empty slots, I had to individually move some presets to the empty slot before there was a enough slots to move larger blocks of presets if that makes sense.
Correct. There have been discussions and wishes that the Preset Manager automatically open space as we drag over a slot, but that creates and opens multiple cans of worms so the best solution is to let us clear the needed space and then move/insert what we want.

If you're rearranging presets to create a song-list, and haven't investigated the Setlist and Songs feature, I'd recommend looking into it. It steps around the need to arrange presets in a specific order… unless you're the type that they be ordered just… so. :)

PS - Setlist and Songs are also documented in the manual and already incorporated in the layouts IIRC.

Last edited:
Correct. There have been discussions and wishes that the Preset Manager automatically open space as we drag over a slot, but that creates and opens multiple cans of worms so the best solution is to let us clear the needed space and then move/insert what we want.

Understood...perhaps this is a Wish List item but in Preset Manager (FM3 Edit) I yearn for an Excel-like ability to shift existing presets up or down (assuming space is available) if I happen to drag and drop one or more presets over existing entries.

By the same token, let's say I have presets in order
A
B
C
D
empty
empty
empty
empty

and elsewhere
E
F
G
H

If I drag EFGH into the column with ABCD my intent is to drop them into the empty slots. But if I make a 'mouse error' I might overwrite D with E inadvertently. It would be a time-saver and a sanity-saver if Edit would prompt me about overwriting D or even automatically bump EFGH down.

And while we're wishing, I realize that certain dialogs are meant to explain certain functions and/or warn the user about things the user should be warned about to avert potential disaster but...I'd also like the option to disable these dialogs. I know that moving multiple presets will take a while to save/write - but it takes even longer when I'm clicking away the warnings!

Note that after you drag, nothing is actually saved until you click the Save button. If you get an unintended result, just close Manage Presets without saving. It'll warn you about unsaved changes, which you knew and meant to discard.
^This^

I’m not at my computer right now but IIRC we also have Undo implemented to tell Edit to “never mind” if it’s done before saving.

Also, we can see what will be overwritten by the highlighted block that drags and overlays the slots. It’s on us to be deliberate in our moves.

I'd also like the option to disable these dialogs. I know that moving multiple presets will take a while to save/write - but it takes even longer when I'm clicking away the warnings!
Look at it this way: Those warnings are your opportunity to think about the actions you just took. And, the time it takes to acknowledge and accept the alert can be inconsequential to the time it takes to actually save the changes.

I regularly manage blocks in 20+ slot groups and the save time dwarfs the time it takes to acknowledge the alert. I sometimes wish there was a way to silence them also but then I remember the times I screwed up too, so I accept it.

It would be a time-saver and a sanity-saver if Edit would prompt me about overwriting D or even automatically bump EFGH down.
There have been threads about how the Editor should behave.

Prompting with an “Are you sure?” frustrates people who are sure … until they realize they weren’t sure but thought they were and still overwrote slots.

Moving existing slots around for us seems useful until we’re working at the end of all the slots. What should Edit do, push existing presets into a black hole and silently delete them, or abort the action and present an alert warning the user?

Good human interface design says to never delete data without warning the user, that it needs to be the user’s deliberate choice. There are corner cases where the “gotchas” live and the desired behavior is hard to figure out and coding around/through them all turns into its own black-hole, and the best solution then is to actually keep it simple and let the user know and they have to figure out how to deal with it.

I understand Fractal not wanting to take on the logic of it.

Manage Presets keeps locking up my AxeFXIII. Anyone else having that issue? Trying to find other threads on the forum before posting my own.
TIA.

Manage Presets keeps locking up my AxeFXIII. Anyone else having that issue? Trying to find other threads on the forum before posting my own.
TIA.
I'd suggest creating a post for your issue in the Axe Fx III Discussion forum or the Axe-Edit Discussion forum.

Provide as much detail as possible about what you're trying to do and (if possible) how to replicate it.

I'd suggest creating a post for your issue in the Axe Fx III Discussion forum or the Axe-Edit Discussion forum.

Provide as much detail as possible about what you're trying to do and (if possible) how to replicate it.
I think I ended up with a few corrupt presets over so many iterations of firmware. I'd scroll through with the big knob and it'd stop at the corrupt presets and lock up the unit. I ended up copying an empty preset to all of the corrupt presets I could find and everything started working as it should. I'll usually end up with a handful of presets as I'm working through that I just forget to trash and luckily I didn't have to delete anything important.

Back
Top Bottom