Best Way to EQ Ear Piercing Frequency?

find your headphone EQ curve from this https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990 - you can import IR's of them as well
How do you know these measurements are correct?
I have Rode NTH-100, and every measurement I've seen on the internet, from ASR review to whatever other resource have other graphs, which match the listening experience. For example, they have pretty noticeable dip at about 7-10K, which you can hear very clearly, but they don't have the mountain over 2-5K.
These measurements seems to be all over the place, I'm having hard time believing them.

Measure headphones seems to be very difficult also because all ears seems to be different. I think all tests or these recommendations don't help. But I also know this issue with my cheap HB headphones. Didn't you try studio monitors to check the result? That's also a reason why I don't like headphones (I just know pieces until 100€).

How do you know these measurements are correct?
I have Rode NTH-100, and every measurement I've seen on the internet, from ASR review to whatever other resource have other graphs, which match the listening experience. For example, they have pretty noticeable dip at about 7-10K, which you can hear very clearly, but they don't have the mountain over 2-5K.
These measurements seems to be all over the place, I'm having hard time believing them.
are you referring to the measurements from this article

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/rode-nth-100/

Just to be clear ,my original link was for a headphone correction curve - so that the headphone performs in line with the Harman Target curve as per below
https://thenextweb.com/news/harman-curve-for-headphones-explained

Last edited:
are you referring to the measurements from this article
This one, and I saw a few similar in other sources I believe. It was quite some time ago, but they were very different from the previous link.
And if you try NTH's you'll hear they are pretty "dark" indeed and need slight boost in the areas where other measurement shows a huge boost already. You'll find no reviewers who will say these are bright or very "forward" as boost in the highs would suggest.
I quickly checked RTINGs graph and it also doesn't have this boost in the measurements.

LCD-2 Closed Back, probably built in 2022 or early 2023. They are not my taste because they have a thinner bass and low mid feel with a haunky mid and bright treble.

I don’t use them to mix but had to use them for a minute to stay quiet in the house. That when I started was playing around with the PEQ and sweeping to find bad frequencies and came across 4k on a guitar track and there was a huge resonance that makes you want to throw the headphones off the head. I tried a bunch of things to get rid of it hence my original post.

I’m thinking it is the headphones but was also thinking that if the headphones were picking it up, then subtly, monitors and or PA systems have it in there too. Just subdue compared to the LCDs…
I have the open back LCD-2 with fazor, a few years before yours. With the right EQ, they are amazing. Here are the settings I use for mine. Yours would likely need further adjustment being closed back, but this might be a decent starting point.

1711039693318.png

Appreciate the screenshot! I’ll try it out.
I’ve come to realize there were some deficiencies in the EQ I had there and it wasn’t translating to the PA well.

I tried a few EQ settings from the internet and the best starting point I found was the GitHub AutoEQ based on Crinacle’s settings. I’m now using two PEQ blocks so I have 10 bands.
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/GRAS 43AG-7 over-ear

I did have to make some adjustments, though. I mainly messed with the low shelf (lowered frequency to make it less boomy / more deep sounding), the wide Q mid cut around 500hz (raised level to have less of a mid scoop), and the upper highs above 6k (adjusted the high shelf to taste and I think I messed with one of the other ones).

Back
Top Bottom