MFC-101 and Axe-Edit Merge Rig : Parts Sources

Matman

Power User
Just a note that after working with a fellow forumite (hi AustinBuddy) on the issue of MFC-101 and Axe-Edit merge, I asked guitar-cable.com for a specific part number that would assuredly work for the merger that many of us use. I have found their build quality to be top-notch.

That part is now available at guitar-cable.com:
http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchan...uct_Code=MIDI57C-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

For a midi merger, I use a MIDI SOLUTIONS "MERGER", purchased from Ashby Solutions:
http://music.ashbysolutions.com/midisol.htm

This setup allows your rig the following capabilities
1. Allow Axe-Edit and the MFC-101 to communicate bi-directionally with your Axe-Fx
2. Phantom power the MFC-101
3. Easily pull the merger to swap in a normal 7-pin cable for gigging

Here's a re-post of my original diagram.
Midi-merge-box-2-1-.gif

Have fun,

Hi Matman,
Noob here. Just gettin' my arms around this Axe-FX and MFC-101. Sorry if this is a lame question. Is the rig in your illustration configured so that one can edit the Axe-FX parameters using the Axe Edit software AND also program the foot controller without the hassle of disconnecting/connecting to the computer?

Thanks,
BJD

This setup allows your rig the following capabilities
1. Allow Axe-Edit and the MFC-101 to communicate bi-directionally with your Axe-Fx
2. Phantom power the MFC-101
3. Easily pull the merger to swap in a normal 7-pin cable for gigging

Do I understand correctly: The only difference between using all 5 pin cables on a modified Midi Solutions midi-merger, and buying the above mentioned cable, would be that the power from the MFC wall-wart would go into the midi-cable power jack instead of the MFC. I'm a newb to MIDI, please let me know if I missed something.
Does this also mean when using the 5 pin cables, the soldering takes place on IN1, where if using the above mentioned cable, the soldering should be done to IN2?

Thanks for the sources Matman!

I finally have the modded midi merger and custom cable from best-tronics - but now your cabling diagram is offline. (the one on the wiki is down as well)

Can someone please post another diagram or just quickly explain the routing?

Thanks much!

Thanks for the post Matman .

My midi merger will be here tomorrow.

I was holding out for the new Axe-Edit, hoping the merge function was incorporated...but I have unplugged and replugged my midi connector more times than I wanted to so I bit the bullet.

hi
so we only need these two items, the cable and the midi merge to operate edit and MFC at the same time ?
thanks

I wish I would have known that. The $20 is less than it cost me for a soldering iron and a wire jumper kit, not to mention the time spent soldering lol

Bump!

...your cabling diagram is offline. (the one on the wiki is down as well)

Can someone please post another diagram or just quickly explain the routing?

Thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom