Cool new Redwirez recipe!

I have been experimenting by trying the most common positions of all mics in the Big Box and writing down my favorite mics and positions. Then I chose my four favorite mics and just made a 25% mix of all four mics. And I really like the result! They turned out the be either cap or cap edge and from 0" to 3" distance. I only liked the Cap Edge off axis on the SM57 (0") but liked the SM7 on cap edge better (not off axis)

Please, if you have the BigBox, just try this recipe and tell me what you think!

This is for the vintage G12H30

BasketweaveG12H30s-SM7-CapEdge-0in.wav,0.25
BasketweaveG12H30s-R121-Cap-1in.wav,0.25
BasketweaveG12H30s-U67-CapEdge-3in.wav,0.25
BasketweaveG12H30s-RE20-CapEdge-0in.wav,0.25

But it works on other speaker IRs as well

Last edited:
BTW,

BTW, in all my previous IR Recipes, I had a bit of room mic and back of the cab mixed in, but now I noticed that when I added that to the recipe above, the high end became more brittle and the low end more boomy. And that was just 10% room mic (by taking off 10% total off of the 4 main mics percentages)

I've got all my stuff back hooked up after rehearsal last night; so I'll check your mix out tonight. Looking forward to it!

I'm on the opposite road: moving away from mixing mics. Even though the results may be great in some cases, it's like a maze with no exit, a staircase that never ends, a puzzle that etc. <fill in other synonyms here>. This keeps me closer to reality too: I'd never mic a real cabinet live with 4 mics. But hey, it's the Axe-Fx and Red Wire, anything is possible so why not use it. :) Just a personal confession, Joost, not meant as criticism in any way of course!

I'm on the opposite road: moving away from mixing mics. Even though the results may be great in some cases, it's like a maze with no exit, a staircase that never ends, a puzzle that etc. <fill in other synonyms here>. This keeps me closer to reality too: I'd never mic a real cabinet live with 4 mics. But hey, it's the Axe-Fx and Red Wire, anything is possible so why not use it. :) Just a personal confession, Joost, not meant as criticism in any way of course!

Wussy. :D

DCP0154046.jpg

All-the-mics-on-the-Matchle.jpg

I'm on the opposite road: moving away from mixing mics. ..... This keeps me closer to reality too: I'd never mic a real cabinet live with 4 mics......

No offense taken. It's funny though that in reality I started using multiple mics when micing up my scumbacks, because I couldn't get a real good sound with just one mic. Now I get the best traits from these mics.

Here's what I did. I took a speaker I really know well in real life and have used a lot in the Axe-Fx (the G12H30) and went through all the mics in the big box. I filled 8 user slots up with the most common positions of one mic and cycled through them on my two most used patches. Here are my observations.

The SM7 has the same cutting power as the SM57 but without the harsh high end. It's also quite flat and a real meat & potatoes mic. It's a dynamic mic and works good from 0" without too much proximity effect. Dynamic mics need to be closer to really get them working, at least according to my experience. As a general rule of thumb, get the dynamic mics up to the grill (0 inches in RedWirez land) and condenser mics, especially the large diaphragm ones, need a bit of distance or they'll get too boomy.

The RE20 is also honest and to my ears the most flat, yet more detailed than the SM7. Most transparent. I noticed that there are no proximity issues, in any of the 8 syx files I tried of this mic , and this gives me a condenser-like sound up close to the grill, even though it's a dynamic mic. So cap edge 0"

The U67 has nice tube warmth and detail and richness. Really adds something to the sound. However, that mic alone lacks cutting power and adds the risk of muddying up the mix. That's where you need the two dynamic mics. Also, the U67 has some real proximity issues, so needs to be at least 3 inches off the grill. Again, cap edge gives best compromise between detail (high-end) and low-end/body.

The R121 is my favorite mic of the bunch. Incredibly rich and detailed. Adds some magic. Needs to be on the cap instead of the cap edge or it gets too muddy. Because of proximity effect it needs to be at least 1" off the grill, but 2" sounds great as well. Just use the distance between 1 and 3 inches to get low end to taste. At greater distances you lose some of that magic detail though. Again, just like the U67, it needs a dash of RE20 and SM7 for some honest transparency and detail or the mix gets too thick and slightly muddy.

Also, the mix of the recipe above gives you dynamic mics, tube mics, condenser mics and a ribbon mic. These are the reasons I needed the mix of four, because they really need each other and each has a quality that the other ones don't have. Although I only realized this after the fact, now you have a 50/50 mix of dynamic and non-dynamic (condenser/tube/ribbon) mics.

The following mics I also liked but didn't add anything to the four I had already selected:

C414, nice detail and fatness. Needed to be on the cap edge and 3" off the grill because of proximity effect. Liked the U67 better.

U47, slight harshness, but nice condenser mic. Cap Edge 1 inch

SM57, the most common guitar mic ever. Great cutting power but harsh high end and upper mids. Needs to be off-axis because of it. So, 0 inches at the cap edge off axis it is.

On the G12M25, I also really liked the Neumann M8 on Blue Bottle. Cap Edge 1"

Last edited:
No offense taken. It's funny though that in reality I started using multiple mics because I couldn't get a real good sound with just one mic. Now I get the best traits from these mics.

Here's what I did. I took a speaker I really know well in real life and have used a lot in the Axe-Fx (the G12H30) and went through all the mics in the big box. I filled 8 user slots up with the most common positions and cycled through them on my two most used patches. Here are my observations.

The SM7 has the same cutting power than the SM57 but without the harsh high end. It's also quite flat and meat & potatoes mic.

The RE20 is also honest and to my ears the most flat, yet more detailed than the SM7. Most transparent. No proximity issues, so this gives me a condenser sound up close to the grill.

The U67 has nice tube warmth and detail and richness. Really adds something to the sound. However, that mic alone lacks cutting power and adds the risk of muddying up the mix. Also has some real proximity issues, so needs to be at least 3 inches off the grill.

The R121 is my favorite mic of the bunch. Incredibly rich and detailed. Adds some magic. Needs to be on the cap instead of the cap edge or it gets too muddy. Because of proximity effect it needs to be at least 1" off the grill, but 2" sounds great as well. Again, just like the U67, it needs a dash of RE20 and SM7 for some honest transparency and detail or the mix gets too thick and slightly muddy. Also, this mix gives you dynamic mics, tube mics, condenser mics and a ribbon mic. These are the reasons I needed the mix, because they really need each other and each has a quality that the other one's don't have.

The following mics I also liked but didn't add anything to the four I had already selected:

C414, nice detail and fatness. Needed to be on the cap edge and 3" off the grill because of proximity effect. Liked the U67 better.

U47, slight harshness, but nice condenser mic. Cap Edge 1 inch

SM57, the most common mic ever. Great cutting power but harsh high end and upper mids. Needs to be off-axic because of it.

On the G12M25, I also really liked the Neumann M8 on Blue Bottle. Cap Edge 1"

This is very useful info. Someone needs to add this to the Wiki.
Oh, that would be me!

You have been wiki'd:
http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Yeks_How_Tos#How_to_select_a_microphone

That Wiki part also points to mic info on the Red Wire site. Don't overlook that, it helps.

That Wiki part also points to mic info on the Red Wire site. Don't overlook that, it helps.

"Kind of like an SM57 that's all growed up and has stopped borrowing mom's car to take the girlfriend to rock shows to impress her with wicked moshpit wrestling moves... Yeah... we don't know what that means either."

right.

:D

seriously, it IS good info there...

treid it with the 4x12 recto, couldn't find an U67 there so i took the 87, sounded very metallic, hollow, boomy :(

The SM7 has the same cutting power as the SM57 but without the harsh high end. It's also quite flat and a real meat & potatoes mic. It's a dynamic mic and works good from 0" without too much proximity effect.

The SM7 has been a favorite of mine but I've never heard of it before. After digging around I found it that it's labeled as a vocal mic. Thanks for sharing your notes (and Yek for Wiki'ing them. Yes, I declare Wiki'ing a new word). :)

SOULTRASH said:
treid it with the 4x12 recto, couldn't find an U67 there so i took the 87, sounded very metallic, hollow, boomy

which is the 4x12 Recto? The U87 is really no replacement of the U67. Maybe try the AKG C414B-ULS

Tried this mix recipe on the Uberkab T75V30 – works a treat, very rich and detailed. Thanks for posting.

That's exactly what I like about this recipe!! It's very rich and detailed! On a low-output strat with some real subtle right-hand playing you hear the most incredible richness and detail.

Last edited:
Good job. Thanks for going to all the trouble

I've been meaning to try different recipes without the ambient mics.

Some of my cabs don't have the U67 so I've been playing around with others.

Earthworks TC30 is my fave substitute so far, but I'm not done...

Back
Top Bottom