Effect of cab sim "drive" parameter

JWDubois

Inspired
I've been messing around lately with the cab blocks in the process of re-leveling some patches. I had been running a fair amount of "air", but I turned it all off during this process, as well as reducing reverb and delay levels, in the pursuit of a more pure sound. For the most part, I have been pleased with the results and the cleaner, more direct tones.

Anyway, while I was messing around, I started messing with the cab "drive" parameter. To my ear, adding drive seems to roll off the high end, and add some compression. I couldn't get the "ripped cone" sound, but the effect was not displeasing at low to medium levels.

The manual describes this parameter as "DRIVE L/R - This can be used to simulate speaker break-up." What is the "drive" parameter actually doing to the audio signal? Is it dependent in the level from the amp block?

JWW

What is the "drive" parameter actually doing to the audio signal?
If you set it too high, one thing it can definitely do is create aliasing. This parameter was a late addition to the cab block, and it is IMO completely unnecessary in recreating the sound of a guitar cab.

Nonlinearities in speakers are so miniscule compared to the ones created by the amp and drive/compression processing that they really don't make an audible contribution. What people think is speaker distortion is almost always generated by some other component in the signal chain.

Jay reported artifact when used at high level.
I never use it. Another forum member asked publicly for assistance with a weird-sounding preset. The clip he posted had obvious aliasing, something I had never heard coming from an Axe-Fx. That piqued my curiosity. When I checked out the preset, I discovered that the cab block drive parameter was set to a high value. Turning it off eliminated the aliasing.

Would we all just be better off if that parameter wasn't in the product (or, at the very least, not exposed in the interface)? Why have a parameter that you basically have to inform users to stay away from?

Would we all just be better off if that parameter wasn't in the product (or, at the very least, not exposed in the interface)? Why have a parameter that you basically have to inform users to stay away from?

Like eating birthday cake, just don't over do it. I have some tones that use a small bit of cab drive, and they sound pretty good.

Cliff put it (and the Air parameter) in as a direct result of user requests. I have a feeling that there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth if either of those parameters were removed at this point.

There's nothing that says you have to use any parameter. My basic operating rule is that, if you do something and it sounds bad, stop doing it. :lol

Last edited:
I'd suggest that anyone who either likes cab drive, or is thinking about using it try the following:

Create a simple patch with a fairly high gain amp model followed by a cab block. Crank the cab drive parameter to max. Play a single note on the high E string very high on the neck and slowly bend it upward as it sustains. The swishy alias tones are obvious. Now turn the cab drive to zero. The aliasing disappears.

I used cab drive when I first bought the Axe. No longer.

Last edited:
I use cab drive in one clean patch at moderate level (around 1). I have fx block between amp and cab, cab drive give me some kind of gentle compression/subtle overdrive I like. It's just another flavour...

My basic operating rule is that, if you do something and it sounds bad, stop doing it. :lol

List of exceptions to the rule above:

1. Asthmatic patient having sex
2. Occupation as a dentist
3. <fill in>
4. <fill in>
5. <fill in>

List of exceptions to the rule above:

1. Asthmatic patient having sex
2. Occupation as a dentist
3. <fill in>
4. <fill in>
5. <fill in>
I guess I should have qualified the rule to apply only to those activities that are intended to produce musical sounds. :lol

Cab Drive never really did it for me either. Subtle use is OK, but just not my taste. I would love it to be a bit more realistic and also extreme, in the way that you could really simulate an almost broken speaker as well if that's possible.

Back
Top Bottom