Getting Extremely Tight Metal Tones

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Here's a cool trick to get very "tight" toanz:

1. Put a filter block before the amp block. Set the type to Highpass.

2. Attach the Envelope controller to the Frequency parameter. Use default settings for the Envelope parameters.

3. Set the Scale to 40%, Offset to around 22%.

4. Go nuts.

Wow, just tried it and it really tightens up the low end. Thanks for that tip, Cliff.

There are so many widgets and gizmos in the Axe, and so many unusual and creative ways to use them, my brain hurts. Thanks again Cliff.

Daniel

Cool Cliff - I'll try it tonight (though I really like the sound of using a Drive block as a clean boost in front of an amp for tightness, especially now that they have the 3 band eq and I can add a little mid boost, if so desired, at the frequency I want). Thanks :)

I don't know what all that means... But I'll definitely give that a shot... Can anyone setup a patch to upload? Thanks!!!

More importantly...how did you come up with that idea :lol: ? I guess I never really needed tight super metal tones to actually start thinking like that, but gotta love the creativity :D .

Look forward to trying this when I get home! And for the guys who don't know what Cliff means by what he wrote, I seriously suggest learning it. It's quite easy really. You can do some quite inventive programming with the use of the various modifiers at hand once you know the basics.

rdomain said:
Look forward to trying this when I get home! And for the guys who don't know what Cliff means by what he wrote, I seriously suggest learning it. It's quite easy really. You can do some quite inventive programming with the use of the various modifiers at hand once you know the basics.

Is there a good thread on the basics? :?:

SUP? :)

Just did it,, :eek: ,Now that is a really great tip Cliff. when I get done shoving it around a few different presets, I'll try to scrub off a clip.

Thanks man,, that rocks

MOSHON
DAVE

For my own education (and perhaps others) can somebody explain what is happening in how Cliff has this setup? I understand #4. But what's happening with #1, 2 and 3?

A filter block is before the amp and that filter block lets all the frequencies above a certain point through. Did I interpret high pass correctly?

The envelope controller control what that "certain point" or frequency is. So does that mean it the frequency changes from pick attack or is the envelope in relation to the rise and decay of the note(s)/chord(s) being played? Did I get that right or am I way off?

What affect does changing the scale and offset have? Does that dictate the range of frequencies that are effected by the envelope?

matt15f said:
Lost at step 2.

Hilite the 'frequency' parm on the filter block.
Press 'enter' to bring up the modifier menu.
The first thing in the menu will be what type of modifier you are using... choose 'envelope'.

it makes it so that the harder you pick, the more low frequency removed from the signal hitting the amp. so really heavy, palm muted riffing will get a lot of low frequency removed before the amp and tighten up the sound quite a bit. set it up in axe edit, but instead set the controller target an LFO... you'll get a visual of exactly how the highshelf filter will vary.

You can also set it as described with envelope and watch the filter graphic on the Axe-FX itself while playing.

SUP :)

I had to go do some other shit tonight, so i didn't get to record, But here is a patch with the Filter setup. the result is kinda subtle, but it is there,,and I'm sure there was probably a better preset I could have used, but,,here ya go..

MOSHON
DAVE

Attachments

• MOSHBALL Modern2a Cliff filter 1.syx
    2 KB · Views: 277
Yeah, basically it's a dynamic filter that adjusts itself according to how hard you're playing.

Something else one could try is using pitch instead of envelope, set so that for the lower riffing stuff you're getting some low end taken out with the filter to tighten the sound/feel up... but as you move up higher for lead stuff, the filter freq backs off. ;)

If you use this trick with a pumped up xfrmr match you get an effect very similar to "deep extend" mode on a Mesa 2:90. I've been trying to find a way to get that sound for a while now...

Cliff is the man.

The manual lists the parameter as "xfrmr match", however my Axe (v8.09) actually says "trnsfrmr match" - it's on the advanced page of the amp block. I started playing with it after reading this thread, but didn't really get what I was looking for until I added the filter Cliff mentioned here. I got a chance to A/B it earlier tonight; ran one cab off the 2:90 and the other off my new SLA-2 and faded between the two. Not identical, but so close I don't think I could tell the difference if they weren't right next to each other.

Back
Top Bottom