Ultra not sending the same level signal from L/R??!

jerotas

Experienced
Hi, I'm finding that even on the "bypass" patch, my left cab is significantly louder than the right. Both channels on the power amp are turned up all the way. So I decided to see if it was a problem with a cab or the power amp....Nope. I plugged left & right of output 1 into my MOTU audio interface and maxed out the gain on both channels. My monitoring software shows that one channel is 3-6db louder than the other! Now what could be causing this?

Output 2 has the same problem. Do I have a defective Ultra? Help!

I'm not sure what the heck the problem is, but sometimes it's there sometimes not. I replaced the speaker cables and it seemed to mostly go away...ignore me for now unless I repost.

I get the same... about 6dB difference. I had the left output crap out about a year ago and had to have the opamp replaced and i have just put it down to that as i can see no other reason... Maybe it is the Axe... I'll probably never know for sure.

Anyway, i've started using only mono presets live now as i see no reason from an audience perspective why the stereo is beneficial. Apart from the few lucky punters bang in the middle of the room everyone else is just getting half of my sound :shock:

teejay said:
Anyway, i've started using only mono presets live now as i see no reason from an audience perspective why the stereo is beneficial. Apart from the few lucky punters bang in the middle of the room everyone else is just getting half of my sound :shock:

Good call except in instances when you either record your shows regularly (we do) and if you run inner ears in stereo (we do). Hearing the mix in stereo in your head makes a world of difference.

Same here - Haven't paid attention to which side is louder, but one of them always clips my mixer while the other doesn't when running in stereo direct to FOH

Gizmo said:
Same here - Haven't paid attention to which side is louder, but one of them always clips my mixer while the other doesn't when running in stereo direct to FOH

I´m pretty sure that there MUST be something in the Chain, in one FX, in the cabs, in the Global menue. You only have to find it...

dongrosh said:
Gizmo said:

I´m pretty sure that there MUST be something in the Chain, in one FX, in the cabs, in the Global menue. You only have to find it...

If it does it even on the blank patch though, I don't see how it could be anything in the chain. If it's just shunts start to finish, nothing done in the mix tab or anything, then it might be time to email support. :|

Secret80'sMan said:
teejay said:

Good call except in instances when you either record your shows regularly (we do) and if you run inner ears in stereo (we do). Hearing the mix in stereo in your head makes a world of difference.
We do run stereo ears. I use the Shure PSM700 series with E5 dual driver buds and they sound amazing and this was the reason i stayed stereo for so long but i was constantly fighting with level mis-match and this can be even with just an amp and cab in the chain with everything set at 12:00.

My brand new Standard does this as well, right channel is a little hotter, straight into an Apogee Duet.

teejay said:
Secret80'sMan said:
teejay said:

We do run stereo ears. I use the Shure PSM700 series with E5 dual driver buds and they sound amazing and this was the reason i stayed stereo for so long but i was constantly fighting with level mis-match and this can be even with just an amp and cab in the chain with everything set at 12:00.
Is this level mismatch between left/right or between presets? Is the l/r mismatch different with different presets? If so, what are the different factors?

In my experience lots of stuff has mismatch between l/r, going as far back as my JVC radio tuner into the cassette deck always having to misdial the rec levels to get an even stereo image.
Then again, those weren't $2K pro equipment.

Dutch said:
Is this level mismatch between left/right or between presets? Is the l/r mismatch different with different presets? If so, what are the different factors?

In my experience lots of stuff has mismatch between l/r, going as far back as my JVC radio tuner into the cassette deck always having to misdial the rec levels to get an even stereo image.
For me it is a 4 to 6dB boost in the right channel. As i mentioned, i can't be sure it is an issue with the Axe as i had to have an op-amp replaced when the channel output failed a while ago, so it is possible that my problem has something to with that. I'm not a tech so i don't know if that is indeed a factor... It's generally across all presets from memory but i will conduct some further testing and experiment with different variables such as;
- shunts only.
- amp only.
- amp and cab.

teejay said:
Dutch said:

For me it is a 4 to 6dB boost in the right channel. As i mentioned, i can't be sure it is an issue with the Axe as i had to have an op-amp replaced when the channel output failed a while ago, so it is possible that my problem has something to with that. I'm not a tech so i don't know if that is indeed a factor... It's generally across all presets from memory but i will conduct some further testing and experiment with different variables such as;
- shunts only.
- amp only.
- amp and cab.

I see it happen with shunts only, or amp only...For some reason it seems like the problem is exaggerated when then input 1 knob is set very low.

4 to 6 dB is indeed quite a lot. I don't know enough to be able to say if it's usual or not.

Several mixers I worked with also weren't perfectly balanced. Including a Soundtracs Ghost, which was a terrific table to work with for me. Of course it's not a top of the line... It was a studio table but we used it live. dual full parametric EQs. programmable mutes. Loved that thing.

I have it too. But the right channel has been 4-6 dB lower. As of last weekend, the left channel is now lower... no change of cables or in presets etc. It's been that way since day one. I've just compensated at the board.

Mine have been equal in the 1/4" outputs; except when I use parallel hi-res mono cabs of different types. There are a few stock cabs that are hotter than the others. The difference is approx 2-3 dB, and is not consistant across all frequencies.

I have the same exact problem with a hotter right channel,same circumstances. I have been ignoring it :)

Same with my Ultra -the right channel is louder. I have just ignored it and compensated on whatever mixer I am using, but it is certainly irritating.

Back
Top Bottom