Talkbox routing?

Chuk

Inspired
I'm looking for some advice on the best way to insert a Rocktron Talkbox (Ver.1) into my signal chain.
I've never own/played one of these at all. I still haven't received mine yet.
I understand the usual route would be Guitar>Talkbox>AxeFx.
I was thinking that i'd like the option to maintain guitar sound while the talkbox is engaged which is not possible with
the original Rocktron.
So my first solution was an ABY splitter before the talkbox but i've been reading some bad reviews about bad sound colouration (except Framptone Amp Switcher).
Colouration is not an option. Maybe the talkbox itself will also colour the sound. Since i will only use this effect a couple of times a night i don't want my regular sound to be compromised.
Should i insert the talkbox from Output 2?
Does anbody have experience with this unit or this scenario?

thanks

Hey there Chuk,

I have an ultra and a Rocktron Talkbox V1. I personally find the best option is to connect the output 2 to the Rocktron unit. In doing so you will not compromise your sound in any way. The great thing about using this routing is you can also maintain your normally guitar sound while using the Talkbox… Also you can add effects pre Talkbox, parallel to your normal guitar signal, they will only be heard on your Talkbox.

Here are some examples of routing:

Insert the effect loop at the input stage (Far left)
Insert the effect loop after your amp: give give the Banshee a different tone. (With this configuration I find that I need to turn down the gain on the Talkbox)
Insert the effect loop after an effect
Insert the effect loop after the Synth (Ultra)

Let me know how you get on?

Cheers
Darren

Thanks heaps Darren.
It's good to get the advice of someone who has exactly the same setup.
I'll try output 2.
I've been using it to feed my onstage monitor cab (an old Line 6 AX2 aux input or RCF Art322a)
I guess i can just split the signal. Left to amp & right to talkbox.

I need to pull a respectable talkbox sound for a cover of "Livin' on a Prayer".
Unfortunately i couldn't get the formant filter to sound quite like i wanted
hence my Rocktron purchase.
I'll keep you posted on my results.

thanks again.

Isn't there a way to program a talk box effect, using a feed from a microphone preamp on IN1 right or IN2 ?

I don't know what's involved (modulation of the voice by the guitar signal or the opposite ?), but given the immense processing power of the Axe-FX, I have a feeling it would be possible !

David dP said:
Isn't there a way to program a talk box effect, using a feed from a microphone preamp on IN1 right or IN2 ?

I don't know what's involved (modulation of the voice by the guitar signal or the opposite ?), but given the immense processing power of the Axe-FX, I have a feeling it would be possible !

Check out the Formant Filter block for this effect.

No problem Chuk.

It works fine for me. I’ve also just tried the effect loop after the Cab sim and that’s good too. So splitting the signal should do the job.
I find for best results set the output 2 knob to 9 O’clock on your Ultra. On the Banshee I set the input gain to 9 O’clock (Higher setting will get out of hand when using a gainy amp sim), tone midday and volume up full.

David dp

Is it possible that you may be thinking about the Vocoder effect which uses one input as carrier and the other as modulator. It is somewhat similar but not the same.

I’ve yet to hear a processor that can copy a Talkbox correctly!

Cheers

xrist04 said:
David dP said:

Check out the Formant Filter block for this effect.

Like Spartacus says, the effect that uses a mic into input 2 would be the Vocoder.
While it's pretty cool it does sound different to a talkbox - more robotic.

Chuk said:
Like Spartacus says, the effect that uses a mic into input 2 would be the Vocoder.
While it's pretty cool it does sound different to a talkbox - more robotic.

You're probably right, but how about modulating the guitar with the voice, and not the opposite (the usual vocoder effect) ?

I picked up a Banshee yesterday before practice and it sounded great running Guitar into the Banshee and into the input of the Axe, but now I am trying to do the fx loop route mentioned here and I'm having trouble.

This is my set up: Guitar into the front of the Ultra running into a Mackie mixer, mixer out to 2 QSCs, Microphone into a channel of the mixer, banshee..only 1 cord going from the "to amp" out put into the mono left input 2 (fx return)
I put the fx loop 1st in the chain and that cuts off any sound. In the I/O, Input 1: Left Only, Output 1 Mode: Stereo, Copy Out 1 to Out 2 is On.
Any idea?

Thanks!
Mark

I finally got my Banshee up & running but i've mainly been using it without the AxeFX.
I did have a quick go at setting it up via the output 2 from AxeFx & it works but it doesn't sound so good
with a full mix of amp>cab>delay>rev being fed to it.
I'll try it again with a much drier mix.
I plug guitar to AxeFx. AxeFx output 2 to Banshee input. No output from Banshee except what comes out the tube.
So i've still got a normal guitar signal going out from Output 1 and Output 2 (Copy Output 1 to Output 2) feeds the Banshee.

On another note - my Banshee (bought of Fleabay) is very noisy.
Is this usual? It sounds fine when it's actually going but with the gain up a bit there's mucho crackling & hiss.

Hey MarkR,

Its a fun product alright. I think that your routing its correct, but just to verify.

External routing:

Guitar > Front input on Axe-Fx
Axe-Fx (Output 1) > Mixer
Mixer > Speakers

Mic > Mixer

Axe-Fx (Output 2, Left mono) > Banshee input (single cable)

Internal routing:

Here's where I think you are running into problems. I take it you would like to use the Talkbox and also hear the guitar at the same time? If so, this is what you need to do.

In order for you to hear both your amp sim rig and output the guitar signal to your Talkbox via the effect loop using one cable, you will have to run the loop in a parallel row to your normal amp Sim chain.

Example1:
.........> Loop (Output2)
Shunt > Comp > drive > Amp > Cab > Chorus > Rev > (Output1)

Example2:
..............................> Loop (Output2)

Example3:
................................................> Loop (Output2)

Connect the loop module input to any of the outputs in the lower chain. Comp, driver, amp or cab - each will give a different result.

You do not have to connect loop Module output to any other module because there is no signal returning from the Talkbox!

A couple of tips:

1. To keep the orignal sound of the Banshee try Example1 (no effect)
2. Try it after the amp/speaker sim. This changes how is sounds. Warning! Make sure that the input gain on the Banshee is set really low for this configuration (unless you want loads of feedback)...
3. Try run other modules before the loop. If you have an Ultra, running the Synth into the talkbox is great...

Regards
Darren

Talking Talkbox Blues

Running into problems is my specialty. If anyone has any trouble running into problems, I can help with that.

So...Our band does a cover of Sweet Emotion and I was using the formant with a pedal before and it was not really cutting it. I picked up a banshee before practice yesterday.
I just ran guitar>banshee>front of Axe. It sounded freakin amazing and yeah it is fun as hell. For the most part I use a slightly altered version of the Screaming plexi for my main rythm.
The problem I had with running direct like that was…using sweet emotion as an example, at almost the end of the song after the long slow guitar bend and the snare drum part that leads into the last rhythm that is played under the guitar solo.
I handle that rhythm part. I am starting it with the talkbox off and a measures in, it is played with the talk box. When I step on the button I get a big level drop off even with the talkbox levels set high.
Maybe I just need a little more experience using the tube and keeping it close enough to the mic, but it seems like the slightest movement will drop your level big time.
Reading this thread, I got the idea that running it into the effects loop would give me more control over the level and give me a smooth transition in and out of the talkbox.

In trying to set that up…
Mistake 1: I was running my cable routing wrong in that I was going out of the TalkBox and into Output 2, now that is corrected.
Mistake 2: My signal routing. Using the plexi patch, I just moved everything down one by putting the fx loop in front, in the same row. This would cut off my sound.

So I need to put the fx loop block in another row and run the input into any of the blocks in the main row?
That is achieved by highlighting the fx loop, hitting enter, nav to whatever block in the lower chain and hitting enter again? I don’t need any special settings in either of said connected blocks?

I am at work now and away from my gear but I will try your suggestions when I get home. The synth thing sounds interesting….how about into the arpegiator??
Thanks for the help.

Mark

Hello,
Plase help me :p !

I want to use a Rocktron Banshee 2 Talk Box + a Digitech Jamman Looper with an Axe-FX Ultra and a pair of Atomic Reactor FR (using XLR outputs of the Axe). How can I have the Talk Box and the Looper working in the FX Loop of the Axe-FX Ultra without any risk of damage ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advices !

Hi SML59,

This really depends on what you what to get out of your setup.

A couple of notes:
1. The Banshee talkbox runs at line level (although it does have a speaker output – do not use that).
2. If it’s was a Bashee version 1, once you engage the talkbox (step on the Banshee foot switch) no signal gets outputted via the line output on the unit. However with version 2, I believe it has a mode where the input signal get sent to the line out when the talkbox is engaged.
3. The actual talkbox sound is generated via a speaker in the unit and gets blasted into your mouth via the plastic tube. So if you would like to amplify this via the atomics you will need a mic and a preamp (looking at the Jamman it has a mic input, you could use that)!

So with this in mind here is what I would try:
Connect output 2 (Axe-fx) > Banshee input. Banshee line output > Jamman instrument in > Jamman out > Input (Axe-fx return).
Then connect your mic directly to the Jamman mic input – this should allow you to sing or input the talkbox sound into the Jamman/Axe-fx. Run the tube from the talkbox up the mic stand as instructed in the Banshee user manual.

Note: You may want to use the talkbox with the To Amp button down, if you just want to hear the talkbox!

Something for you to think about is routing. If you have a good foot controller think about dynamically sending signal via this effects loop using a volume pedal or an AI switch, keeping the Amp/Cab/effects in a parallel lane internally. That way you can keep your signal path clean and only process signal via the effect loop when you use the talkbox or using the looper.

If not, the simplest way is run the into your amp/cab/effect out via the effect loop and back in (non parallel config).

One thing I find is you might need to turn the effect output up on page 2 of that block and you may need to insert a filter block after the effect loop to bring the volume back up (it tends to be lower coming back in).

Cheers

Thanks a lot for all your advices and informations.

I'll try all this soon. For now I'm moving to a new flat so all is in boxes ready for leaving :cry: :p !

Slightly off topic but still regarding the talkbox.
Last night i had big problems with the sound of my Ultra during our one featured headlining set.
Big corporate event, 1500 guests, huge PA, blah blah blah.
Soundcheck was great but right from the first note of our actual performance my clean tones sounded phlegmy & broken up.
My crunch tones were ill defined.
I spent half the 90min set trying to work out why it sounded like a**e.
I checked all my gain levels, leads etc.
Turns out it was the talkbox (at the start of my signal chain & before the Ultra).

You see, after the soundcheck i needed to buy a replacement 9v power supply adapter for the Rocktron Banshee.
It seems that the new power supply couldn't deliver enough juice & it badly affected the quality of the signal to the Ultra.
Unfortunately it ruined my gig & to add insult to injury, when it finally came time to actually use the talkbox in the last song.....it didn't work!!
Aaaaaah!

Man that’s a real pisser! It’s a pity that it messed up your gig.

If you’re not using the FX loop why not run output 2 > Banshee input, keeping it out of the signal path altogether?

My Personnal path:

Code:
Guitar > Axe-FX Ultra Send >-\                      /-> Axe-FX Return > Loopstation > FRFR
                                >Audio Router >-
Mic > Audio Buddy >---------/                      \-> Banshee

Since I use this path, I always set my Banshee as clean as possible, then feed him with Amp+Cab blocks or Synth block (set to a sawtooth), and then add some modulation and ambiance effects on TB tone. Also, I use a Expander + Comp + EQ after Return block to be sure that my mic don't feed by other noise except TB sound. On stage, this last point is really important to have a good TB tone.

I use this dynamic settings on my Vocoder presets too.

Hi all - although it's been years since the last post here... this thread is related to my problem, so I'll see if anyone is there to help:

I picked up a Banshee 2 last week, and have an Axe II, which I inherited from my brother... this is what caused me to start learning guitar, but I'm still a novice, particularly on the technical side of things. I practice every day though. Sorry if what's below is frustrating - I'd genuinely appreciate any help.

I've Googled and read various forums, but can't work out how to get this thing (Banshee) to work. I read on a different fractalaudio thread to set it up as follows:

guitar > banshee input > banshee output (called 'To Amp') > Axe front input (called 'Instr')

I'm not using the FX Loop, though have seen some posts that discuss this, and maybe I should. The tube of the Banshee is right next to my mic (which is an Audio Technica AT2020). I get signal from the mic in Cubase, so that part seems fine. My mic is running directly into my interface, which is an Audient iD14.

I wonder if my problem is caused by any of the following:

1) I'm meant to be using a certain preset/chain within the Axe - I have seen some 'Talkbox' presets within Axe Exchange. So far I've just been trying it with the stock presets that come with the Axe.

2) My routing (inputs to outputs) is all wrong - from what I've read, the sound of the guitar should come through the tube, (and I'm sure this sounds ridiculous) but I'm not getting any sound through the tube, which is why I'm not getting the talkbox effect. I live in an apartment, so write with headphones, though I do have KRK Rockit 5 speakers which I rarely use. Normally I just write with the headphone jack plugged into the interface.

3) (This one is highly unlikely given my limitations) There's some problem with Banshee - when I click the on/off metal foot button/stub, the Banshee doesn't actually turn on or off... and when I turn the Gain, Tone, Output knobs, nothing changes - all I hear is a white noise/static type sound.

Any help/advice is HUGELY appreciated, and thanks for reading this far.

Back
Top Bottom