pedal emulation - phase 90 - retrosonic chorus

javajunkie

I had a little extra time yesterday and tried to match a couple of pedals I have.

I was able to get pretty darn close to a retro-sonic chorus set at 12:00.

The Phase 90 '74 Vintage Reissue was much more difficult. Getting the right freq and sweep was a lot of trial and error. I can't quite figure out the waveform though. Its almost like somewhere between a triangle and exp. Anyone know what kind of waveform it uses?

javajunkie said:
Its almost like somewhere between a triangle and exp. Anyone know what kind of waveform it uses?

Had a look through my pedal books ... almost everything's detailed but not the waveform ... sorry.

Hey Java,

had a look round and the closest thing that I could find is on the phase100. I have 4 different sweeps but it has diagrams on the front of it. I don't know if any relate to the phase90. Thought it might be of some use... Maybe....

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--MXRM107

You could always email AnalogueMan, he make clones of a load of old school pedals, he has even wrote a book on them. Couldn't hurt if you get stuck...

Spence

How are you getting on with the Phase90 ?

What settings did you use for the Retrosonic ? Would like to compare it to my CE-2 since they shouldn't be too far off each other...

VegaBaby said:
How are you getting on with the Phase90 ?

What settings did you use for the Retrosonic ? Would like to compare it to my CE-2 since they shouldn't be too far off each other...

Nowhere on the phase 90

chorus -
voices 2
rate 1.667 hz
depth 80%
mix 50%
bass +7.3
treble -4.6
bass freq 450hz
treb freq 4003hz
lfo type sine
auto depth low

If you are running it into 2 amps for stereo
width 29.9% (0% if not)
You can add the phase reverse in stereo as well

The retrosonic was at 12:00.

javajunkie said:
Nowhere on the phase 90

chorus -
voices 2
rate 1.667 hz
depth 80%
mix 50%
bass +7.3
treble -4.6
bass freq 450hz
treb freq 4003hz
lfo type sine
auto depth low

width 29.9% (0% if not)

Thanks for that !
Are you still looking for the waveform on the Phase 90 ?

VegaBaby said:
javajunkie said:
Nowhere on the phase 90

chorus -
voices 2
rate 1.667 hz
depth 80%
mix 50%
bass +7.3
treble -4.6
bass freq 450hz
treb freq 4003hz
lfo type sine
auto depth low

width 29.9% (0% if not)

Thanks for that !
Are you still looking for the waveform on the Phase 90 ?

It's a little short on the depth and spring of the waveform but it gets close.

Yeah, ran out of tweaking time though. I have a bunch of songs to learn. Were actually doing Money at our church this weekend so I need to workout that solo, then its an all Beatles Christmas series.

javajunkie said:
Were actually doing Money at our church this weekend so I need to workout that solo, then its an all Beatles Christmas series.
I'm sure you'll be fine :) . I showed that solo to a student of mine a few years back and the hardest part is to make the bends sound as cool as Gilmour's ;) . Do you have to do the sax solo as well (my student wanted to learn that as well...on guitar of course) ?

VegaBaby said:
javajunkie said:
Were actually doing Money at our church this weekend so I need to workout that solo, then its an all Beatles Christmas series.
I'm sure you'll be fine :) . I showed that solo to a student of mine a few years back and the hardest part is to make the bends sound as cool as Gilmour's ;) . Do you have to do the sax solo as well (my student wanted to learn that as well...on guitar of course) ?

No, were cutting that out. Yeah, lots of 1/4 step bends. I'm curious about what were going to do about one lyric in the song :lol:

tonygtr said:
Java, could you please share your settings on the Phase 90 so far? I'm really curious to try them out ;)

You know I didn't save anything. It wasn't close enough for me to save. If I have time I'll try to dial in what I had.

javajunkie said:
chorus -
voices 2
rate 1.667 hz
depth 80%
mix 50%
bass +7.3
treble -4.6
bass freq 450hz
treb freq 4003hz
lfo type sine
auto depth low

width 29.9% (0% if not)

Do you remember what delay time setting you used ?

Back
Top Bottom