FRFR for bass

FWIW, some personal experience with modeling and speakers....
I create tones using Atomic CLR cabinets, taking into account the drop off of low end below +/-80Hz.
Here is where it's frequency response data can be found: https://atomicamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Atomic-CLR-Manual.pdf
IMHO, creating tones on the most flat, accurate speakers is key to those sounds translating across a range of amplified scenarios.

For live shows, I may use a pair of CLR cabinets on stage.
I also have a pair of bi-ampable coaxial 15" full-range ported bass guitar cabinets, which are not especially flat response, but do have that bass cab "feel" with full range response and much stronger sub bass frequencies than the CLR.
In either case, I'm treating the speakers the same, EQ adjusted to suit the environment. The CLR cabs definitely have a different vibe to them.
Neither is necessarily better than the other, in terms of delivering what is needed for stage sound, and both sound really, really good.

Option 3 is that I get my modeled sound run through provided front line monitors (of excellent quality). Though this option tends to give me the most clarity of sound, it isn't necessarily the most familiar or comfortable or best sounding of the options, but it also does work very well.

I got into the game with FR(FR) bass cabinets for the stage over 10 years ago when it wasn't much of a "thing", and with limited choices. If I were to do it all over again now, I'd have to say that something along the lines of the Accugroove speaker systems would be the best of all worlds. The CLR cabinets are excellent for general purpose FRFR sound reinforcement and I'm a big fan. YMMV using them as bona fide bass speaker cabs. My last choice of a primary speaker for CREATING modeled tones would be a traditional bass cabinet with FRFR characteristics.

Back
Top Bottom