Software to make Dynacab IR’s?

I’ve been wanting to make some IR’s of my own cabs and I was wondering if there is software available to make them compatible with the Dynacab features. I hope it isn’t something that just Fractal has because opening IR’s up to everyone has, in my opinion, benefitted everyone involved.

So if I understand DynaCab correctly, you basically need a software controlled, motorized robotic microphone stand that can capture a complete IR at every point along a high resolution two dimensional plane.

In theory it’s possible to do yourself, but I’d imagine the you’d need some pretty strict tolerances to match the fidelity of Fractal’s.

I’ve been wanting to make some IR’s of my own cabs and I was wondering if there is software available to make them compatible with the Dynacab features. I hope it isn’t something that just Fractal has because opening IR’s up to everyone has, in my opinion, benefitted everyone involved.
No, Dynacabs can only be created by Fractal. It’s not something you can do yourself since you would need access to proprietary protocols and formats. However, Fractal has expressed a willingness to work with others to produce 3rd party DynaCabs, so you can contact them to inquire about it.

P.S. This closed policy for movable mic IR bundles is no different than other amp modeler manufacturers. They all use closed proprietary formats.

Last edited:
Like @GlennO said, anyone can get access to the tools to create them. Cliff has already said they will rent the equipment and software, but, given that it’s some special software to drive the robot and also to post-process the files, I’d expect that only people who have access to a studio and an excellent microphone selection, and enough experience and time, and a distribution network to sell to to make the exercise pay off, would want to go there.

Regular IRs are a much better choice for someone who has a cabinet they want to capture for their own use. Being able to physically move the microphone of your own choice to the position you want solves the same problem that Dyna-Cabs do for the masses.

Like @GlennO said, anyone can get access to the tools to create them. Cliff has already said they will rent the equipment and software, but, given that it’s some special software to drive the robot and also to post-process the files, I’d expect that only people who have access to a studio and an excellent microphone selection, and enough experience and time, and a distribution network to sell to to make the exercise pay off, would want to go there.

Regular IRs are a much better choice for someone who has a cabinet they want to capture for their own use. Being able to physically move the microphone of your own choice to the position you want solves the same problem that Dyna-Cabs do for the masses.
I’ve got a friend that engineers at a great studio and I’m pretty sure the have that remote mic thing. Between us we’ve got a lot of great mic’s and I personally have some unique cabs I either don’t see many IR’s of or very few of and even when they do exist just in more traditional mic setups. I’m gonna make some basic IR’s first (hopefully in a month or two) and I’ll contact Fractal about doing the DynaCab stuff. Thanks.

The way I interpreted Fractals offer to rent the gear, is, you bring your cabinet to their studio and shoot the IRs.

You come to them.

For Dyna-Cabs it's probably not necessary to use Fractal's own robot as long as the needed granularity is maintained, but the software to crunch the Dyna-Cabs will have to be licensed from FAS. At that point it won't matter where the recording occurs.

At present, since no one else has yet acquired the required licenses from the robot manufacturer, in fact it IS required to use one of our robots.
Not at all in that business. But with a robot we should imagine sth like these ASEA Brown Boveri robots like for automobile?
1690062023573.jpeg

So if I understand DynaCab correctly, you basically need a software controlled, motorized robotic microphone stand that can capture a complete IR at every point along a high resolution two dimensional plane.

In theory it’s possible to do yourself, but I’d imagine the you’d need some pretty strict tolerances to match the fidelity of Fractal’s.
Fact: Cliff used the very robot model, that Rocky gave Paulie in Rocky IV, to place the mics. Unless you have that kind of advanced access, good luck.

At present, since no one else has yet acquired the required licenses from the robot manufacturer, in fact it IS required to use one of our robots.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess this would be basically DynaMount hardware + their control API for it + Fractal's software to control it over DynaMount API to perform DynaCab captures in a standardized way?

The way I see it, the big issue for any IR vendor would be if they are in Europe or Asia. Shipping Fractal's robot over to allow them to make captures for a limited time and then shipping the robot back seems like quite an ordeal, compared to said vendor buying their own DynaMount + needed licenses so they can keep making DynaCabs whenever they get new cabs/speakers in etc.

I would assume many professional cab IR vendors would already own some DynaMount model since it makes micing a lot easier to do so if the issue is mainly API licensing, then working with the robot company so vendors can easily buy the needed licenses would be a big improvement.

think placing a speaker drive on a big enough 3d printer bed, having the ability to switch the printing head with a mic holder.
then move the head in increments off axis from center to edge (say x) starting close to the drive increasing the distance (say z) after each (x)
that would be the easy part. do a frq sweep at each increment.
then figure out the format to save the captured data in :D

think placing a speaker drive on a big enough 3d printer bed, having the ability to switch the printing head with a mic holder.
then move the head in increments off axis from center to edge (say x) starting close to the drive increasing the distance (say z) after each (x)
that would be the easy part. do a frq sweep at each increment.
then figure out the format to save the captured data in :D

There are other companies who make robotic mic stands and the reality is closer to this than the big automotive manufacturing robots someone posted above. See DynaMount as mentioned above.

I wholeheartedly applaud FAS in the Dynacab endeavor.

I'm a hillbilly who don't know shit about shit.. but I'll be surprised if this approach isn't supplanted by an algorithm/AI/T-1000 in the immediate future.

Good luck to all involved.

Back
Top Bottom