Head cab for fx3

Bertotti

Inspired
Any specs on how much room I should leave around my fx3 should I make a cab for it? I think I would like to make a cab that looks similar to a head.

Are you talking about a shell/rack to mount the Axe Fx?

When you say "cab" I think people will probably interpret that as a speaker cabinet.
Not a speaker cab a head cab with a rack mount built in. I thought it might be cool looking, at least to me , to mount it in a cab that looks like a guitar amp head.

Last edited:
Not a speaker cab a head cab with a rack mount built in. I thought it might be cool looking, at least to me , to mount it in a cab that looks like a guitar amp head.
Gator makes a 3U rack in tolex to look similar to a head. Could just grab that if you dont need room for a power amp.

Found this just doing an internet search, is this the kind of direction you are thinking:?IMG_3666.jpeg

If it is, Google something like Vintage rack for axe-fx III for ideas if you want to make one, or. I think that Sweetwater has some racks that are more “head” looking too.

With regards to ventilation, you should be fine - the rack ears on the unit aren’t flush with the sides so you automatically get some room on either side putting it in a rack of any type.IMG_3667.jpeg

Thanks everyone! Buying one is not an option. I have my own wood shop so will build it myself. I had been wanting something for my Fryette as well and maybe load both in one cab and maybe not. I’m in the brainstorming stage so I’m still running through ideas. Thanks again!

I have Cherry, Bubinga, Black Walnut, and a small bit of Curly Maple, and some pine. I am leaning towards the Black Walnut of Bubinga sadly the Bubinga is rather expensive so I keep setting it aside for something else. I have not had that something else come around yet.

Last edited:
Just spec it like a 3u rack in an amplifier head shell. If you bought a 3u rack case, how much space would be around the FX3? it needs no more room than it would have in a conventional rack.

You may want to check out the Casesmith Custom, a boutique case builder who makes cases perfectly fits the fxiii
https://www.casesmithcustoms.com/
Casesmith is awesome. I’ve ordered two rack cases from them and both times they’ve been a pleasure to work with. The cases were well constructed and very reasonably priced.

Granted now mine is in a Gator 3U retro rack due to pricing on a used deal, availability, and immediacy. I also had a Casesmith 4U with the lids and it was just too bulky to lug to and from church, and I didn’t need the power conditioner in there.

The gator retrorack is good but I had to mess with the alignment a bit when mounting the axe fx as the rails aren’t mounted in the same respective places. Didn’t have that issue with my Casesmiths.

Last edited:
Well I decided to do a cab for just the Axe. Not the Fryette also. Together they are heavy and I don’t like the look.
View attachment 139462
Yeah I was wanting to have a full rig set up for a while just so it was an all-in-one case. However, it gets heavy quick and the extra depth makes it even more awkward to carry. If it’s not something that always goes with the axe fx, prob better to just run with the 3U setup.

Check this out from Casesmith if you’re wanting a head look. I think this is a relatively new design for them https://casesmithcustoms.com/index.php/rack-case/product/889-the-head-rack-cases

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom