No sound/audio when making preset

Joellandin

I have recently come across this problem with my used FM3. Every time I try to make a new preset from scratch on an empty preset no sound comes through my speakers. This also happens when I try downloading a preset online. All of the other presets that are already built work just fine. Not really sure what I should do. Possibly considering a factory reset since my FM3 was used.
It’s really interesting because the FM3 is showing that sound is coming through. I’m just not hearing it.

I’m just running from out 2 into the effects loop return on my boss katana. There isn’t a specific preset that makes no sound, it’s just any preset that says “empty for your use”. Any time I try to start from scratch and make my own preset, no sound comes out of my boss katana. I haven’t saved any preset I have made. I just clear the preset since every time I try it doesn’t work.

I’m just running from out 2 into the effects loop return on my boss katana. There isn’t a specific preset that makes no sound, it’s just any preset that says “empty for your use”. Any time I try to start from scratch and make my own preset, no sound comes out of my boss katana. I haven’t saved any preset I have made. I just clear the preset since every time I try it doesn’t work.
Did you put an Out 2 block? An Out 1 block?

Doing a factory reset, because it's a used unit, is not a bad idea because you'd be starting from a known-good place.

"How to reset Axe-Fx III, FM9, or FM3 to a "factory fresh" condition" is your friend. Then read pgs. 16-18 then Sections 5-9 in the manual as they cover how presets, scenes, channels work together and how to build presets.

And, don't hesitate to dig into the factory presets to see how they do things, and to ask questions.

Last edited:
Go to Layout > Meters on the front panel. That will tell you where in the signal chain your signal is dying.

I have recently come across this problem with my used FM3. Every time I try to make a new preset from scratch on an empty preset no sound comes through my speakers. This also happens when I try downloading a preset online. All of the other presets that are already built work just fine. Not really sure what I should do. Possibly considering a factory reset since my FM3 was used.
It’s really interesting because the FM3 is showing that sound is coming through. I’m just not hearing it.
As everyone mentioned, make sure the right output is routed, beyond that, some people will upload presets with assigned expression pedals (i.e. volume) and if you don't have one, it may show as "off" depending on how they assigned it, so just "shunt" the volume block.

Back
Top Bottom