music collaboration software

Vio

Experienced
Can anyone recommend an app for real time rehearsing/collaboration? Best you encountered so far.
Thanks

Can anyone recommend an app for real time rehearsing/collaboration? Best you encountered so far.
Thanks
https://www.solocontutti.com/download_page.php

Been using it for several years and are happy users — it is free right now. We use 5 computers during our jams (windows and macs). Computers need to use wired ethernet to keep the jitter down.

Over time we all migrated to the same internet provider in the Toronto area (bell fibe, gigabit). The latency is often reported as being in the 10-12 msec range and we find it adequate. We have gotten used to the slight jitter. Of course we enjoy it more and seem tighter when we jam in person.

• Love
Reactions: Vio
Thanks, I'm almost in the GTA but on fibe as well. the other parties are in EU :|
I'll give it a try

It's about 5729 kilometers from Toronto to London, England. It'll take like about 19 milliseconds to travel that distance. So almost 40 milliseconds for a round trip.

That's assuming perfect transmission conditions.

Real time is not going to be possible here.

I used another software (jamulus), so I can only comment on that. From my understanding, ideally you'd have a server right in the middle of the participants, so the distance and delay would be half of your roundtrip example. Ouf course other latencies might come on top. Anyhow I agree, real time with this distance is probably not possible.

It's about 5729 kilometers from Toronto to London, England. It'll take like about 19 milliseconds to travel that distance. So almost 40 milliseconds for a round trip.

If they are close together in the EU it may be ok for them. They will just have to turn you down so you don’t mess things up but at best you can play along…

Thanks, I read about this and I understand the physics. I shouldn't have used 'realtime'. .. and it's 7757Km :D

I've used JamKazam with musicians all over the world. Most of the time the latency is quite minimal, as long as you're using a direct ethernet connection. It's quite mind blowing how they achieve fairly low latency. I mean, you can jam no problem. I haven't used it in at least 6 months since I've been so busy, but I assume it's only gotten better. Maybe I'll give it a whirl this weekend and post some results.

Back
Top Bottom