Fender FR-12 compared to PXM-12. My experience so far.

I have three FR-12s and three PXMs. Too bad the FM9 doesn't have ATMOS 😂
Six speakers might be enough for ATMOS. My son-in-law is a Grammy-nominated recording engineer who has done much recording/mixing with Dolby ATMOS, and his studio has twelve speakers (including sub-woofer). I have heard many recordings in this environment, and can definitely vouch for its amazing results compared to traditional stereo.

The fender looks low tech compared to the EV- does the fender really sound better? I am a EV fanboy-
The Fender is low tech compared to the EV. :)

(Edit: I should clarify that I mean the EV has more DSP features and inputs.)

I don't think it sounds better overall as a monitor. I'm guessing vocals, keys, etc., might sound a little better through the EV (maybe--my synth sounds great, albeit slightly different, through both). I do prefer it specifically for guitar though due to it sounding and feeling more like I expect a guitar cabinet to sound and feel when in the room with me.

That's not necessarily what everyone is looking for though. After all, an IR (which you need to use with either speaker) is not really the sound of a cab in the room with you.

If you've ever hunted for that "real cab" sound I'd say the Fender is worth trying. Otherwise, stick with the EV--it's a great speaker.

And again I'll emphasize that if you do try one, do so from a place with a good return policy.

an IR (which you need to use with either speaker) is not really the sound of a cab in the room with you.

Right, it's the sound of the cab from close up at one spot, or at least the frequency response of one.

Which pretty much means that it's the sound of the cab with a bit of EQ added; e.g., some bass boost from proximity effect, some high roll-off from the mic being off-center, and a little bit of "other" depending on a whole bunch of variables that aren't the easiest thing to predict.

Then you take that sound and pump it into the room via something that works a lot like a cab. It makes sense that it sounds more cab-like to me.

So there's where all the low end is. hello. Now its sounding a lot more like my CLR's. I think I'm keeping these guys. The only feature I wish they had was a secondary input but really no gripes about these. Question is: keep it assymetrical. the FR12 for maintaining more low end and the FR10 for the punch or get matching FR12...

oh and no noise/hiss. Nothing more than my CLR's give off.
Super interesting feedback. Would you recommend the FR 10 on its own? have no interest in multiple cabs.

Super interesting feedback. Would you recommend the FR 10 on its own? have no interest in multiple cabs.
I think the FR10 is great but honestly if i were to just go with one cab....I'd go the FR12. It does sound more rounded out/fuller. It's only an extra $50-75. Incidentally, I just ordered another FR12 to replace the other FR10 i have. I figured I'd rather have to dial out some bottom end if its too much vs not having enough on tap from the cab

Last edited:
I think the FR10 is great but honestly if i were to just go with one cab....I'd go the FR12. It does sound more rounded out/fuller. It's only an extra $50-75. Incidentally, I just ordered another FR12 to replace the other FR10 i have. I figured I'd rather have to dial out some bottom end if its too much vs not having enough on tap from the cab
Thanks man, I’d go with the 12 since it’s on par price wise but it’s the hiss that scares me since I play at home mostly... but you’re feedback makes me reconsider. I will receive the 10 in a week or so and will share my thoughts on it especially regarding the hiss issue to see if it’s affecting the 10” version.

Thanks man, I’d go with the 12 since it’s on par price wise but it’s the hiss that scares me since I play at home mostly... but you’re feedback makes me reconsider. I will receive the 10 in a week or so and will share my thoughts on it especially regarding the hiss issue to see if it’s affecting the 10” version.
I play at home 100%. I'm not sure whats going on with hiss-gate but have read a few forum threads on it. Maybe its a batch of them that are bad or user error....multitude of variables of how people are connected to these. All I know is the FR10's and now the FR12 that I have here...don't have any unpleasant hissing/noise that others have complained about.

This afternoon I wanted to do some A/B'ing with my CLR's just for kicks. Nothing scientific in my approach other than volume balancing between the two pairs of monitors/cabs. I'm in a large 15x20 room. In one end are my CLR's (on poles) and opposite end i have the Fender FR cabs (on floor tilted) I realize that's not exactly apples to apples but i just want to get a sense of how they sound/feel. I'm sitting equidistant to them. I have each pair set to separate stereo OUTS (1&2). I have been toggling between and you know whats even more heavenly? QUADRAPHONIC!!! holy mother of Mary! What a wall of sound! Again, props to the Fenders. I was skeptical at first and even critical. I have to say how enjoyable they are and they are keeping up with my CLR's in all the ways that matter. It's not volume i care about either. They sound fantastic.

This afternoon I wanted to do some A/B'ing with my CLR's just for kicks. ..... I have to say how enjoyable they are and they are keeping up with my CLR's in all the ways that matter. It's not volume i care about either. They sound fantastic.

This has me really interested. MY pair of CLRs has been the grail tone for me in terms of FRFR. Unfortunately, one is dead and the other dying, and after one failed attempt at customer service with Atomic not sure I'll ever hear them again ,and not willing to buy another pair. Tried the PXM, and while it sounded great at higher volumes, at bedroom volumes the CLRs just seemed to deliver what I wanted in clarity and fullness. My FM9 presets translated really well to the CLR.

So there's the background I'm coming from. I don't expect any two monitoring solutions to sound exactly the same, but I'm curious as to how well your presets work withe the CLR and Fender, especially at moderate room volumes. If the Fender has more of a Cab feel that's a bonus. Reading how excited you are comparing the two has me really thinking I should try one. I'm not really super picky, and if it's an enjoyable experience the price alone could make it worthwhile to me, knowing replacement cost if needed someday wouldn't hurt to much. Any more insights appreciated

but I'm curious as to how well your presets work withe the CLR and Fender, especially at moderate room volumes. If the Fender has more of a Cab feel that's a bonus.
So far, I haven't touched my presets at all. I haven't gone through them all but my main ones all sound identical if I'm closing my eyes. For moderate volumes especially you won't notice the difference. At least I don't think so. My CLR's are fantastic but a bit clinical which is why I'm enjoying the cab like 'feel' of these Fenders. It brings that characteristic out a bit more. I'd highly recommend you try one out. CLR's translate right over in my opinion.

Soooo...for the sake of transparency...

I'm gonna return two of my three FR-12s but not at all because of anything wrong--I love these things. It's purely because a single FR-12 with the pair of PXMs scratches my w/d/w itch while still giving me the cab oomph I'm loving from the FR-12.

I'll also get the full benefit of being able to send my synth and/or backing tracks through separate inputs on the PXMs instead of running it through the FM9 (which I can still do if I want obviously).

I'm thinking that's the best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom